Cummins 8.3 C series

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Has anyone had to rebuild a 8.3? How did it work out? What was the cost? Or, has anyone repowered with a reman or rebuilt, what was the cost?

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
A very good friend just had the 8.3 rebuilt in his rollback. I'll ask him about the cost, but it was performed at the closest Cummins Bridgeway, and it has been running great.

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
Give WCT in Cortland IN.( 8 miles west of Seymour)a call. Mike G sends all of his N-14's up there and they do good work. owned by a retired Cummins emplolyee. If you can't get the number I can get it Monday and call you

Greg

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Whatca say buck? Call me anyway hav'nt heard from you for a while.

klippencott

Expert Expediter
I did not get mine rebuilt yet but I did get quotes here in Dallas. To in-frame it was 11,300 to install a rebuilt was 12,200.

Kathy

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
Can depend if its a older 8.3 or newer ISC for the 8.3L Cummins. Had old C8.3 Cummins on the FL70 I had in frame rebuilt for $7800 including a new turbo by Cummins Northeast. I would suspect newer ISC's will cost more to rebuild as they are more complex. Denny

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Just the opposite, the new 8.3 is easeir to rebuild than the old around $6K. My other truck got a price in Miami for $6 also its a 2001 running great but with 630K on her.

Mudflap

Expert Expediter
I guess the depend- depends if the cyl head needs to be replaced or can be cleaned and refurbished and reused. The 12 valve head on my old C8.3 had to be replaced with a crack near one of the valve seats making the engine lose water. The ISC's have 24 valve head that if can be re-used makes the inframe cheaper, a couple grand or so more expensive if replacement is required. Only a removal and inspection of the head can determine this. Denny