Cube Van

greg334

Veteran Expediter
clcip
You Said; "Greg, by any chance do you have, or maybe have you posted in the past any photo's of your truck? I'm curious about you have your sleeper configured. Another question from a potential newbie doing my research, is your truck classified as a D unit or C?"

I drive a 99 regular old van, B unit. I have pictures of the entire truck, but won't post them here, I will post them on my webstie when I get time and shoot you off a pm.

It has a sleeper, more like a small bunk just like one on a navy ship. There is storage below and I am using Submarine Laundry Bags to hold 'stuff' I use. I can sleep confortably, better than I sleep here at home. But if I need more room, I can add a couple more feet to put a third pallet - everything is easily removable and stored.

I am adding an APU and other comfort items but I am worried that come end of November FedEx will not accept the truck anymore. So I am looking at getting a newer truck now in case, and if I have to do this, I want to stand up instead of being a troll.

Highway Star, I am wondering what are you driving? 9300 sounds low.

tazman

Expert Expediter
Hi Greg,

I read your note.....sound like your local dealer has it about right on the weights.....

You might try Utilimaster for a body they Duraplate (like the big trailers)...may weigh a little less..??? I've never built one
Don't forget to add the fuel (full) weight and your weight along with everything else....

And before you "pull the trigger" let me quote on a unit OK ???

Frank in Pa.

"The Beast in the East":D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Taz,
The Duraplate info led me to their site and the details, thanks for the info.

This is something that I am thinking about the composite but the Duraplate weight savings is less than I hoped for. The composite is really a honeycomb material sandwiched with Fiberglass. This combo is used in boats and in planes.

Now you also caused me to revist the idea of using a step van as an expediter B unit. I think that this is doable but I am going to work the numbers (weight, driveline etc..) to see if this is an alternative. I have not looked into a step van, I know that they make 9 and 10K GVW chassis' but I need to talk to the manufactures to see what the body and combined weight.

I will drop you a line when I am ready for solid qoutes. Today the guys who lent me the Hino also has something that they offerd me, a 2003 GMC duramax cutaway, details not to be publisized but really interesing vehicle - I am looking at it tomorrow when I drop off the Hino.

cncbill

Expert Expediter
I was hoping to find out an average dollar per mile on these vans, and what company's you drive for. I was thinking of trying a van solo....Bill

tazman

Expert Expediter
Stepvans (mounted on stripped chassis...like a Motorhome) will generally be lighter than the cuts but you have to consider these units are designed for city delivery...not over-the-road.....Morgan-Olson is my choice on this product.....I'm not sure who else is building......There is a large fleet company in Cincinnati that specializes in these stepvans for FedEx and the tool guys...etc......Can't recall the company name

Anyway...good luck......

P.S. - That GM diesel Duramax in a cutaway chassis is a great choice !
Frank in Pa.

"The Beast in the East":D

MSinger

Expert Expediter
Greg,
Where did you find a 2003 GMC cutaway Duramax?? They just started putting the Duramax in the van bodies in 2006.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
It is a long story and one that is not repeated on a forum. I got an email from someone who said I am full of it, well I am not and it does exist and I am considering buying it. Now it is not a production model and has been hacked up for some mods but overall it is a genuine GM product by GM.

Oh yea - did you know that they put 6.5s in a few 2002 and 2003 g3500 for special orders? I didn't know that until I looked at one last week and ran the VIN at the dealer.

tazman

Expert Expediter
To all,

I just sent a quote to someone who wanted to find out about a 14-15' cutaway unit @ 10,000 GVWR (option C7A) Dual wheel, 159" WB, Duramax diesel....Thanks for that person for thinking of me !!1

I built a Supreme aluminum and an FRP, as well as a Unicell Aerocell
flat floor with a 24" setback on the forward bulkhead..to allow a usable space rear of the front seats..for sleeping etc and a tapered roof above truck ceiling....

Here is the fair and unbiased news:

TARE Weight of chassis as spec'ed - 5382
Weight of 15' FRP (heaviest) unit - 2750
Fuel full @ 8lbs/gal 240
Driver ( skinny guy ) 175
Gear for truck ( dollies etc. 200
Gear for you ( to sleep in ) 250
Other junk 50

Total 9047

USABLE cargo weight - 10,000 - 9047 = 953 lbs

Question what can you haul @ 953 lbs ????

Thanks,

Frank in Pa.

"The Beast in the East":)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I can haul a lot of feathers!

or maybe a lot of those air pillows!

Thanks Frank for the numbers - you confirmed a few things for me.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Taz,

Isn't the Tare weight on a vehicle the same as curb weight? Am I mistaken, because this would include a full tank of fuel that you put in addition to tare. FRP is nice, but it sure adds weight to the overall package.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

tazman

Expert Expediter
I suppose you could be specific...but the point is the truck isn't designed to carry a load......

P.S. - The FRP box is only about 250 lbs more then the aluminum-sheet and post....and about 400 heavier than the Unicell Fiberglass unit...

It really is a mute point...this chassis/box combo kills the load

Frank in Pa.

tazman

Expert Expediter
Supreme and I got to thinking we could build a 12' Supreme Spartan on a SRW platform (9600 # GVWR with a Duramax diesel)
Do a Top Hat config on the cab and a bulkhead setback 2' for living quarters....
You would net about 11'10" of usable cargo space south of the bulkhead
and 78" width.....issue would be wheel wells....handled by a plywood false floor (perhaps with compartments cut in and e-track) just above the wheel well height.......

We are looking a around 2800 lbs of carry capacity...ins this arrangement....

Will keep you posted...

Frank in Pa