Crst

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Just wanted to add a little from the Carrier perspective.

When drivers or applicants for any position apply to a company, the company must review the application and may even conduct background checks of different types on the applicant. The information obtained on the application itself, along with any information contained on the background checks, becomes "knowledge" that the company now has of that applicant. The company assumes potential risks of hiring or contracting that employee or contractor based on that knowledge.

I learned in classes years ago that I may have to testify in a court of law to explain why I hired or contracted any individual after having such knowledge. That concept enters my mind each time I reveiew an application.

I hope this helps you understand some ideas brought up in this forum post.

Thanks,

Thanks for adding your perspective. Once he clears that 5 year mark more companies will be open to looking at him, is there a way he could or should address the convictions that will improve his chances?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

paullud

Veteran Expediter
We always tried to remember the mantra....
"Make every decision as if you WILL be defending that decision in a court of law"

The owner of our company basically turned that back on us to make us think. He said to remember that whatever we do we will end up sitting at the defendants table next to him when something goes wrong.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
He may never do anything wrong.
He'll probably appreciate a decent offer more than the next guy.

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Was just saying. To a family member the other day that when I finally do get the right opportunity that I'll be able to get up every day open my eyes be grateful and thankful for where I'm at knowing where I'd walk through to get where I am at. As for my former conduct im free

Sent from my SPH-L520 using EO Forums mobile app

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Was just saying. To a family member the other day that when I finally do get the right opportunity that I'll be able to get up every day open my eyes be grateful and thankful for where I'm at knowing where I'd walk through to get where I am at. As for my former conduct im free

I believe a lot of guys give up because they feel like no one will ever give them a chance again. It was very frustrating for me to know in my heart and mind that I was a new person but I kept being treated like a criminal. People just have to realize that they screwed up and the strangers looking at them for jobs only know the piece of paper but with a little time it will clear up. This year will be my 13th year of being drug and conviction free but there are still companies that won't give me a chance. I just have to accept it and work hard for the people that will accept me knowing the ones that won't give me a chance lost out on a great worker.

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Its a great thing that a 10 yr employment history and some background checks isnt who I am may say who I was what it dont say who I will be