Crst

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Well wont be going there didnt pass background

Sent from my SPH-L520 using EO Forums mobile app

For CRST? If you don't mind me asking what convictions do you have? How recent? You can PM me if you don't want to post publicly but there is a chance more people could help if you do. There are several members that have been open about their criminal convictions, myself included so it wouldn't be a first. I am an OTR truck driver and I have a felony so I have been in your position where companies won't hire you because of it, although they aren't supposed to.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
I acquire d 17 misdermeanors between 01-09 mostly disorderly conducts a refusal to leave and a vandalism charge I think there was a open container so in 2009 decided to clean up my act quit drinking and got my cdl last year been on uphill climb since then

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I acquire d 17 misdermeanors between 01-09 mostly disorderly conducts a refusal to leave and a vandalism charge I think there was a open container so in 2009 decided to clean up my act quit drinking and got my cdl last year been on uphill climb since then

OK, that makes a little more sense. Obviously the amount of convictions is your battle rather than the actual charges with the exception being resisting arrest. I'm not sure how a company would view that because they could consider it a violent crime. The good news is that after 5 years they will become less of a problem so this year companies that turned you down might change their answer. Have you tried US Xpress, Prime, or Swift?

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Tryed swift prime knight and crst central said had to be 5 yrs but fedex did qualify me but its hard to find a owner who will invest the time so I can get the proper training and experience

zorry

Veteran Expediter
There are a few here that have lived in "gated communities"

Possibly one will reach out with help or a position. 6 months experience and a recommendation may go a long way in achieving your goals.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
If you're approved Str Trk I'd work that angle.
After a year in a str you could move up to TT.
Probably won't want to by then.

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Wouldnt be to difficult. To fly back home when its hometime southwest has great deals

paullud

Veteran Expediter
There are a few here that have lived in "gated communities"

I have seen several members including myself that will be open about their previous life. It is all a part of forgiving yourself for being a screw up and moving on to success. Unfortunately some companies, especially outside the trucking industry will never hire people with convictions even though they aren't supposed to discriminate and JB Hunt was just sued over their practices. I can certainly see wanting a reasonable amount of time to have passed but many companies will just advertise that they are violating the hiring regulations without fear of being held accountable.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
When I was at Schneider in the 80's they were all over hiring ex-cons. There was a tax break program for hiring them and people that had been on various social programs.
I have a relative that kicked Coke, cold turkey. I really admire her for it.
People that turn it around do deserve a break.

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
Well I decided a while before I got my cdl that this would succeed I believe it says we have the right to the pursuit of happiness so as my birthright as a american and my fathers before me who did drive trucks I will pursue and not give up

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Well I decided a while before I got my cdl that this would succeed I believe it says we have the right to the pursuit of happiness so as my birthright as a american and my fathers before me who did drive trucks I will pursue and not give up

I would just keep doing what you're doing and maybe try to focus on some mid-size companies like Roehl. The mid-size companies are more likely to have recruiters that will work with you and have the ability to work on a case by case basis. You might have to make some phone calls and stay after the recruiters but eventually it will pay off. Stevens Transport is another one that I just thought of.

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Just wanted to add a little from the Carrier perspective.

When drivers or applicants for any position apply to a company, the company must review the application and may even conduct background checks of different types on the applicant. The information obtained on the application itself, along with any information contained on the background checks, becomes "knowledge" that the company now has of that applicant. The company assumes potential risks of hiring or contracting that employee or contractor based on that knowledge.

I learned in classes years ago that I may have to testify in a court of law to explain why I hired or contracted any individual after having such knowledge. That concept enters my mind each time I reveiew an application.

I hope this helps you understand some ideas brought up in this forum post.

Thanks,

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
We always tried to remember the mantra....
"Make every decision as if you WILL be defending that decision in a court of law"