crossbows

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
I come from a family of bow hunters,, my dad and brother switched to crossbows this year..what a weapon...Brother shot a buck at 40 yards and dad hit one at 30....first deer my dad has got in 15 years....i cant say enough good things about them...in the next couple years i bet there will be alot more of them in the michigan woods....i was one second away from hitting the buy it now button on ebay for a Barnett Predator AVI....230384238097

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They are nice. Just be sure to remember to check the speed that the bow is able to produce. Michigan goes out of it's way to make things difficult and put a limit on how fast the bolt can travel.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I'm not a hunter, but a friend sent me this e-mail

This bull was killed in the Yukon on 9-25. Elk were put in
there in 1958
from Yellowstone Park. This was the first year they have
been hunted.
They drew for 15 permits.
The hunter is Al Klassen.
He's been a sheep guide in the Yukon and Northwest
Territories and has
personally guided over 100 Dall Ram kills.
Preliminary gross score... 451 5/8
(Embedded image moved to file: pic08532.jpg)
>> >
http://i423.photobucket.com/albums/pp311/patrickgsinclair/HPIM0967.jpg

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
right in michigan it is 350 fps but all bow advertisers use 6 grams of arrow weight per pound of bow, to achieve those high rates...(talking compounds) because speed sells. however use 7 grams of arrow weight, which manufacturers recommend.. its slows the aroow down about 20 fps....same as a crossbow......the bow i was talking about touts 375 fps,which is over the 350 fps set by our dnr....however the recommended arrow weight for the bow is 450 grains minimum which should bring it down below the 350 fps if they ever chrono the arrow...

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Those are the first deer I have even heard of being taking so far this year,,Glad to hear someone is off to a flying start.
Still only seeing a few here and thereat my place:(