Coupla ?'s

fatmcrat

Rookie Expediter
I've been researching and every time i find the answer to one question, i think of 2 more.

If i start with a co-driver(most likely through expediters services) and I don't mesh well with them, what usually happens? I have been looking into going solo, but I can only find cargo van jobs. I want to go straight truck, but after reading all the horror stories on here, i would just rather go solo. but in case I can't go solo and have to team, what is usually the policy for drivers that don't get along?

But I was also curious that when one starts to expedite, generally what things do I need to have with starting out. As far as finances, how much do I need to set aside?

I know I have a lot of questions, but I am just trying to be prepared.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
First off, go into it like it's gonna work.
Like moving in with someone there will be some give and take.
Compromise. Try to make it work.
Why ? Life will be better. If partner is experienced, he'll teach you the business. You'll both make more money, and you'll co-operate on home-time.
If you enjoy each other's company your down time can be fun.
If not, separate. Get away from each other. You spend your time in the bunk, he spend's his time in the bunk.
Hopefully, you'll each be working the bulk of your 12 hr shift. Then you'll sleep his shift.
Solo gigs in straights are generally people that own the vehicle and prefer to run solo.

fatmcrat

Rookie Expediter
Well I try to be as hospitable as possible. Lately I have had the bad run of things, and the way things are going for me is that I'll get stuck with a bad one. I'm am thinking about eventually if I don't mind it, I might get my own truck and go at it. I have found great things about Expediters Services Lease purchase program.

IDK but I am glad i came across this website because I have found I have found so much information about expediting.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Don't know how ES handles the situation [codrivers who can't get along], maybe someone who does will speak up, but I've found carriers to be agreeable to a switch - as long as it's within reason. Of course, I'm talking about codrivers who are imposed upon you by the rules, whereas if you can choose one, it should be much easier. Like Zorry said: assume you can make it work, because you want it to, and you're both adults. And remember: 2 drivers make the job a lot easier: can do 2 things at once, [it gets done faster], and it's way less stressful to have another pair of eyes when looking for an address/building/whatever. Not to mention the great runs a team can do [California, the NW Pacific, far out west] that solos just don't get. [Sigh]
What you need to take is what you need to live: clothes, toiletries, bedding, food [depending on refrigeration capacity], entertainment stuff, [whatever keeps you occupied during downtime], and work tools: atlas, GPS, bluetooth for cellphone, basic fixit tools - whatever you might need while on the road. And of course, money. Lots of money. ;)

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I've been researching and every time i find the answer to one question, i think of 2 more.

If i start with a co-driver(most likely through expediters services) and I don't mesh well with them, what usually happens? I have been looking into going solo, but I can only find cargo van jobs. I want to go straight truck, but after reading all the horror stories on here, i would just rather go solo. but in case I can't go solo and have to team, what is usually the policy for drivers that don't get along?

But I was also curious that when one starts to expedite, generally what things do I need to have with starting out. As far as finances, how much do I need to set aside?

I know I have a lot of questions, but I am just trying to be prepared.

I tried to get into a truck with ES, twice they gave my number to solo drivers who never called me,guess there happy running single. I don't get it. They want teams, they have trucks with solo drivers because a driver quit. If a driver calls wanting to work, and is already qualified with there carrier, why don't they make that solo driver except the new driver. Teaming is not that hard,unless you get a real jerk for a partner. You have co-workers most every where you go. You both should have the same goals,run as hard as you can,you can learn each others habits and give and take.
Good luck!

fatmcrat

Rookie Expediter
Thanks guys. I think I'm going to wait until end of feburary to go out. I will have my tax return by then and I should be able to afford everything I need. I talked to expediters this week and the don't want me to run solo, just as a team. They tried to get me in a truck next week, but with my current finances, it would be slim pickens for a couple weeks. I think I should just wait until I am ready for a week or so without income. I'm sure I will have a couple more questions before I go out, and even more when i do go out. So thanx in advance for any help ya'll will be giving me....lol

fatmcrat

Rookie Expediter
Another one,
I was talking things over with the wife last night while shopping and we started talking about what all i will eat while out. I'm figuring I will have a supply of Ramen dinners. My wife does the extreme couponing crap and can get the yakisoba dinners for like 19cents a piece sometimes so she usually stocks up.

But I know every now and then I will want something like a good hamburger or porkchop. I want to minimize the amount of time I'm eating out. I'm thinking about getting some pre-pattied out beef vaccum sealed and froze. And bringing a small george foreman to be able grill some burgers and stuff while on the road. Only problem I am potentially thinking is how much freezer room will i have. On your standard issue straight truck, what size fridge comes in them? is it a dorm fridge or something bigger? I know you can almost get a full size in there if you want, but what is standard. Thanks.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
An electric skillet is a super versitle tool for a truck. If I had to choose one item that's it.

sent from my Fisher Price - ABC123

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
But I know every now and then I will want something like a good hamburger or porkchop. I want to minimize the amount of time I'm eating out. I'm thinking about getting some pre-pattied out beef vaccum sealed and froze. And bringing a small george foreman to be able grill some burgers and stuff while on the road. Only problem I am potentially thinking is how much freezer room will i have. On your standard issue straight truck, what size fridge comes in them? is it a dorm fridge or something bigger? I know you can almost get a full size in there if you want, but what is standard. Thanks.

Go to www.truckfride.com and it will give you a general idea of various sizes out out, not all but a good idea. I just bought one from them a few months and I went with a small freezer as I wanted a fridge that holds more gallon jugs then anything else..I can get 4 one gallon jugs on the bottom shelf. Not much in the freezer its small. There are other manufactures of fridges out here to look at.

Q I have for you is, Do you really want to spend time cleaning a greasy nasty frying pan out here? When a small lil propane grill will do nearly everything except frying eggs without cleaning a pan? (Just my take on the cooking utensils.)
Char-broil makes a nice table top propane grill,,perfect size for the truck big enough for steaks..About $25 or so..

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The problem I've had with grills is the amount of smoke and smell. Majority of times a few paper towels will wipe an electric skillet totally clean.

fatmcrat

Rookie Expediter
Q I have for you is, Do you really want to spend time cleaning a greasy nasty frying pan out here? When a small lil propane grill will do nearly everything except frying eggs without cleaning a pan? (Just my take on the cooking utensils.)
Char-broil makes a nice table top propane grill,,perfect size for the truck big enough for steaks..About $25 or so..

I agree with you, a few years ago I almost went out for Schneider, and I asked them this question about a small portable grill to take out. The recruiter told me that having a tank of propane(regardless of the size) required me to have a haz-mat endorsement, and some companies wouldn't allow you to have it due to the possibility of the truck exploding....idk but seems kinda far fetched.

I am planning to go out on feb 24th if all goes smoothly. I wanna wait till after my daughters birthday party and make sure I have everything bought that I need. I am planning on spending the next several weeks working on getting my haz-mat endorsement, and also my passport. Do you guys think i should try to get my dod clearance or is it worth it? I know I do have to go team, and my co-driver would need it as well.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Smoke yes..But lighting the grill outside of the truck helps alot with that proplem..:D
The smell of cooking food on a grill has never bothered me and has drawn a few ppl to share a pack of hot dogs more then once.
I just like to keep things easy out here,I guess if I was feeding 2 ppl that my change my game plan?? Every so often ya still need to santize cooking pans and means xtra water/soap xtra dish rags/papertowels etc. With the grill ya just turn up the heat and its as clean as it needs to be. Simple

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Have had DOT look inside my tool box many many times and never Q the grill..Now maybe if I was carrying the 20lb bottle that might be different. Or they may have said something if I left the bottle hooked up but I dont. Bottles are disconnected capped and stored upright..Never a Q from any of them.
Or I have just been lucky to this point???

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Oh I carry a grill that also has a griddle. The grill itself I use outside only after trying it inside. Yes you still need to give things a good washing periodically.

fatmcrat

Rookie Expediter
I love grilling. Only problem I forsee is cooking while my co-driver is behind the wheel. I will look into it, thanks for the info. I also am going to look at the fridge website too.

fatmcrat

Rookie Expediter
just got to thinking of drinks, I am looking into taking out a coffee maker and making tea for me to keep in the fridge as well. I will drink about 1/2 a gallon a day. I don't wanna stick with cokes or stuff because I will get fat quick. I can already tell that my wife will be cooking non stop when I get time home. I will also look into taking out a couple of cases of bottles water.

I'm starting to think that my truck won't be big enough....lol

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
just got to thinking of drinks, I am looking into taking out a coffee maker and making tea for me to keep in the fridge as well. I will drink about 1/2 a gallon a day. I don't wanna stick with cokes or stuff because I will get fat quick. I can already tell that my wife will be cooking non stop when I get time home. I will also look into taking out a couple of cases of bottles water.

I'm starting to think that my truck won't be big enough....lol
Better to buy water by the gallon @ wall mart .80 per gallon...fill your cup with free ice @ any truck stop...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums mobile app