Cool idea for winter preparedness

Shadowpanda

Seasoned Expediter
On roaddawg XM channel a couple days ago they were asking drivers what special items they carried during winter.
One that struck me as nearly brilliant was a hair dryer and long extension cord. Frozen air lines, brakes, wipers, locks, all a thing of the past. Going to grab those items during christmas.
Anyone else got some equally cool things they carry besides the standard crap like litter or ice melt?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We have a "survival kit". 3 days worth of freeze dried camping food. Fire starters. Water proof matches. Lighters. Small hatchet. Folding wood saw, signaling devices etc. One of the MOST important things you can do is keep your tanks closer to full than empty. You can last a long time if you get stuck on a snow covered highway for a few days if you have enough fuel.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Another use for the hair dryer and extension cord is that the heat helps with removing decals from a company that you're leaving.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
On roaddawg XM channel a couple days ago they were asking drivers what special items they carried during winter.
One that struck me as nearly brilliant was a hair dryer and long extension cord. Frozen air lines, brakes, wipers, locks, all a thing of the past. Going to grab those items during christmas.
Anyone else got some equally cool things they carry besides the standard crap like litter or ice melt?

5 gallons of gas extra can, generator always,propane heat,electric heater, and 20 ft of clearplastic hose for getting gas out of my tank or someone elses( called a ga fuel pump),lol. and 2 cell phones, one extra 12volt battery,,spare small cans of propane to go with the 20lb cylinder. and 2 buffalo rifles, just kidding on the rifles.lol

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Surprised nobody put on there to keep in stock Washer Fluid with De-Icer... going across I-80 towards Nebraska out of Iowa, and going from Boise to Salt Lake City in a snow storm taught me those lessons. it's not fun stopping to get out in bone chilling cold and ice and buy it and re-fill that tank!! I used to run the northwest corner a good bit, and WA, ID, UT, MT, WY, and CO can teach you stuff you won't think about in parts of PA or MI.

I keep 3 gallons of it (Washer Fluid with De-Icer, along with a good sturdy Ice Scraper) on hand thru winter, when I use one gallon, at the next stop/rest I buy another, so I always have at least one left if I end up using 2 gallons and need that 3rd one.

I used 5 gallons one memorable night from Boise to Salt Lake, and could not see any part of the landing gear of the trailer for 2 hours when I stopped at the J bird there. I remember because I slept for 13 hours after breakfast and a HOT Shower... my nerves were shot!!