Convoy

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
We were sitting in Houston on Saturday waiting to pick up at 4pm. I flip the TV channels around and find the movie Convoy on TMC (boy that makes you fel old). Aside from the fashion statement of the time, the lack of technology, the outdated trucks and poor acting the issues of trucking haven't changed much over the last 30 years or so.

sixwheeler

Expert Expediter
Was the dark of the moon, on the sixth of June
In a Kenworth, pullin' logs
Cabover Pete with a reefer on
And a Jimmy haulin' hogs
We 'as headin' fer bear on I-One-Oh
'Bout a mile outta Shaky-Town
I sez Pig-Pen, this here's the Rubber Duck
An' I'm about to put the hammer on down ..............

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
On the contrary, I think everything has changed. Before anybody could just get a cdl and go, it was a TRUE brotherhood. The cb was your entertainment and news. Truckers worked together to get what they wanted. They had their own colorful language, unlike ebonics.

I was wrong... one thing hasn't changed much since the 70s... the pay.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

Jayman

Expert Expediter
I was going to use the handle "rubber duck" when I start driving because of that song. lol Think I should?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I wouldn't. The same idiots who deemed good buddy to mean gay, and cowboy hats to be Brokeback will likely consider you "funny". The old days are gone, and the new puppy mill drivers don't have a clue what nostalgia is.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

DanJ

Seasoned Expediter
It's like in the late 70's/early 80's every second guy called himself Snowman, after Smokey & The Bandit LOL. Do people even use handles anymore? LOL