Consumer Reports Cell-Service Ratings: AT&T is the Worst Carrier

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Consumer Reports Cell-Service Ratings: AT&T is the Worst Carrier
by Consumer Reports staff
Monday, December 6, 2010

AT&T is the lowest-scoring cell-phone carrier in the U.S., according to a satisfaction survey of 58,000 ConsumerReports.org readers. Of all the carriers rated, AT&T was the only one to drop significantly in overall satisfaction.

Over half of the survey respondents who used AT&T as a carrier owned some version of the iPhone, the Apple smart phone that is exclusive to AT&T, at least for now. Consumer Reports data, reflecting all versions of the phone, found that iPhone owners were much less satisfied with their carrier and rated data service (Web and e-mail) lower than owners of smart phones on other carriers that, like the iPhone, have a host of apps to encourage heavy data use.

"Our survey suggests that an iPhone from Verizon Wireless, which is rumored, could indeed be good news for iPhone fans," said Paul Reynolds, Electronics Editor for Consumer Reports.

Also big news this year: U.S. Cellular—which serves 26 states, mostly in the South and Midwest—beat out Verizon Wireless as the top-rated provider for contract service. Also, Sprint has pulled even in overall satisfaction with Verizon, which has been the clear top provider in our Ratings in most years since 2003. Sprint even scored better than Verizon in some aspects of customer service, in a remarkable turnaround.

The survey is part of our annual comprehensive cell-phone package, which hits newsstands tomorrow (Dec. 7) as part of the January issue of Consumer Reports. It will also post online at CRO tomorrow morning. Subscribers will be able to get full Ratings and all the details on the story, including city-by-city Ratings for 23 metro areas.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have an iPhone and my aircard service with ATT. I have a phone phone with Tmobile. I get service in more areas with ATT. I'm very unhappy with the number of dropped calls with Tmobile. When my contract with them is up I want to switch to Verizon for my phone phone. I am not super happy with ATT either but don't have as much trouble with it. I think every one of the companies should be forbidden to advertise until they at least get coverage over 100% of the Interstate highway system east of the Mississippi River.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
ever go down US 31 from benton harbor to Kokomo Ind? Verizon sucks there....they have an office on 31 many times I want to stop and say..Can you hear me now....

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Based on my experience with the friends I have with AT&T, they seem to have gotten better. The calls don't drop nearly as much as they did a couple of years ago.

While Verizon isn't perfect, I'm very happy with them. I think they'd be a good choice for you Leo.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They are all far from perfect. That's part of the reason I have two different carriers so when one doesn't work the other one might. My very unscientific estimate is that I have no service about 10% of the time overall and if I had only one or the other I'd have no service probably 20% of the time.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's part of the reason I have 2 phones, one personal, one dedicated to C&M. The other is that the "where are ya, what'cha doin'" calls in the middle of the night really got out of hand for a while. When I need sleep, the personal phone gets shut off. Then, Verizon bought Alltel and I became Verizon only. The coverage is good enough that I'm leaving it as is.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I still get dropped calls in NYC of all places.

Sitting in my fathers backyard, a half mile from an AT&T cell tower, the signal level is so low and we just found out why, when they set the tower up, it wasn't intended for a 360 degree coverage but made to cover GM's tech center.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've had US Cellular for years and I'll have to say, their coverage is outstanding. It doesn't matter whether it's Nogales, AZ, NYC, Tampa, FL or Hazard, KY the signal is still there. The only dead zones I've noticed are a couple of spots - one near Piedmont, AL and the other in the NC mountains near Bryson City. If you have them in your area, they're definitely worth checking out.

RoadKing06

Expert Expediter
I have great service with my Sprint. I really like the coverage, I very very rarely lose signal with it.

bobwg

Expert Expediter
I have had the same cell phone number since about 1990 (cant remember the exact year) it was a bag phone from Cingular which then became Southwestern Bell and then they bought out ATT. I am overall pleased with the service I have phone and aircard thru them