Connecting a second battery

f4ftrucker

Rookie Expediter
So I plan on getting a second battery for my 2005 Dodge Sprinter so I can have my mini fridge and laptop plugged in. What is a good battery? How do I hook it up? How do I recharge the battery? What all do I need?

ysracer

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
So I plan on getting a second battery for my 2005 Dodge Sprinter so I can have my mini fridge and laptop plugged in. What is a good battery? How do I hook it up? How do I recharge the battery? What all do I need?

You need this: Hellroaring Battery Isolator Combiner, BIC-75150A

Besides that, which will isolate your auxiliary battery from your starting battery, and charge your aux battery when the truck is running, you need a high capacity (or two, or more, depending on current draw), deep cycle battery. Mine are Interstate branded, AGM type, 100AH each. Typically used for handicapped scooters/wheelchairs.

Don't forget short circuit protection. Hellroaring sells circuit breakers that are more convenient than a fused connection.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

the way sprinters are and all....I'd spend whatever they charge and let someone that knows how to....do it...the couple hundred bucks is well invested...they will do proper connects and proper fusable links...vs a homemade cut and paste job....I have twin full size ThermoKing batteries in my 05 sprinter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Reading through the following link will should prove to be both informative and confusing. Personally, I would add two batteries instead of one if you can afford to do so. OVM mentioned paying a pro to do the installation. Great advice if you aren't mechanically/electrically inclined.
http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/truck-talk/58912-mixing-battery-types.html

My Espar was installed by ThermoKing Mn....and I twinned the batteries to match...warranty is 3 years FULL...no prorated crap....

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
2 6 volt golf cart batteries will fit under the passenger seat of a sprinter. It's tight but they will fit.

Sent from my LG-D500 using EO Forums mobile app

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
2 6 volt golf cart batteries will fit under the passenger seat of a sprinter. It's tight but they will fit.

Sent from my LG-D500 using EO Forums mobile app

My "twins" are right behind the drivers seat....along with the espar....it all wires into the main fuse panel under that seat....