Conference call for surface fleet

jamom123

Expert Expediter
I'm not the perfect contractor by any means, but my truck will rot before i take these loads at flat rate.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using EO Forums mobile app

CCDriver

Active Expediter
Just look at the flat rate trucks for a minute. Fed EX is paying them 1.00 per mile the drivers paying fuel and getting 60%. This leaves the owner 40% of a buck .40 cents to run that truck 1 mile. These trucks are old models getting almost no maintanance except the bare minium.
In other words have the blow out first then replace a tire.

When Fed Ex takes and books a load and then has one of these turdwagons meet its maker on the road and tries and get a whiteglover to cover it good luck in sticking to that flat rate.

So the reputation of Fed Ex takes yet another hit, instead of being a top notch carrier we are in the fly by night carrier class. Not sure why Fed Ex would even put itself in this position.

But that is someone making decisions way above my pay grade whether they are doing right (doubtful) remains to be seen. Some things the bean counters should stay away from.
You work hard to get a reputation as the go to guys the ones to handle your shipping needs but it takes dillagence to keep that.
I hope they Whiteglove CC will get back to what makes us unique but it looks like they will drive it into the mud and it will be a long climb back out.
Until then just keep soldiering along giving the best service you can going that extra mile just demand the proper recompense for your service.

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Let's take those figures a little further. We will say you have a small fleet owner with 4 trucks. All 4 of those trucks run 2000 miles a week for 1.25 plus fuel. The drivers pay the fuel so they owner gets 40%. That is $4000 per week to the owner. Let's say, the trucks run on average 3 weeks out, one week off. So that's $12000 per month. Now let's also say all 4 trucks have a payment of $1500 a month. That takes an owners profit to $6000 per month. Now let's add in things such as insurance. We will use $300 a month per truck. Could be lower, could be higher depending on who they use. Now the profit is down to $4800 a month. We will also say that standard maintenance, not including any major issues is $150 a month per truck, averaging out the cost of PM's and tires and such throughout the course of the year. Now to owners profit is down to $4200 a month. That still isn't absolutely horrible. But it isn't good. Now let's also so one of the trucks out of warranty, needs an inframe . We will say that is going to be $16000. That is 4 months worth of profit from all of the trucks in order to pay for it. The amount of debt vs the amount of income on a flate rate program is not profitable.
I truly feel this means that maintence will be put off until it becomes a necessity, that equipment will become run down, violations will increase, safety scores will plumit, quality of drivers will decrease. Who wants to work for sub par rates? Those who are in desperate need of money. I think it will do more harm than good. The quality of service will drop, the standards will be set lower, and the "white glove service and purple promise" that was considered standard will disappear and Fedex will just become another name in a shippers book.

Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

flat

Rookie Expediter
How many more limits or requirements will fedex make before we are employées & not contractors uniforms, color of trucks, decals on trucks, avilaibilty , pay limits, who in the truck , we sound more like company drivers plus we have to paid for clink load ins. truck maintains & fuel

aimeejos

Active Expediter
Jenny- let's go one step further with your comments on the 60/40 split... You were commenting on owners- what about the drivers? That 60% is getting awfully small. Is it going to be enough to keep the better drivers? Why stay here if you can go to a carrier that offers benefits too?

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Jenny- let's go one step further with your comments on the 60/40 split... You were commenting on owners- what about the drivers? That 60% is getting awfully small. Is it going to be enough to keep the better drivers? Why stay here if you can go to a carrier that offers benefits too?

Well that's the rub. No good drivers will stay on as surface units. The only surface people left will be people "doing their time before going into w/g" and the others will be people just desperate for a job or a place to live. Some will provide good service, most won't.

CCDriver

Active Expediter
So we will keep going like we have been. Still making decent pay out here though FedEx seems to be trying to make it harder and harder to do.

It's kind of like the load acceptance rate having an effect on your place in line. There was nothing to do about it but keep going and running your loads at a price you could live with.

When it get's so bad owners can't make it they will go to another carrier taking their drivers with them. FedEx will ax the dip**** who ran CC into the ground and a slow rebuilding process will begin anew.
It's just too bad someone there can't see what's happening and avoid the outcome restart things now. Maybe by keeping the well maintained trucks and go the extra mile keep drivers that know what's going on and offer that excellent service no one else can.

Ahhh dare to dream, they'll listen to the bean counters whispering in their ears MORE PROFIT MORE PROFIT. and drive WGCC into the ground. JUst keep on as long as you can and it supports you that's all we can do.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They are already losing some of the best to other carriers, and more than enough to be a sign to all but the most blind. Apparently they've decided the triple digit turnover rate of anyone capable of fogging a mirror no matter how poorly they represent the company business plan is better than the carrier everyone hates for being the best of the best with low turnover and above average people who proudly and effectively represent the company business plan. It's too bad. They've gone from somewhere to aspire to, somewhere to be proud to work with, to just another carrier with the safety rating and other attributes to confirm that distinction. It likely is the work of the bean counters and they are the last people who should direct policy.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Something to think about. Frank is a lease Purchase Operator at Schneider He get 1.78 all miles for long loads 500 miles and over. Short loads very 2.50 t0 3.30 a mile all Dh is paid at 1.78 a mile. The company pays the EZ PASS and Pike Pike Pass he has it company owned. He is making money all he does is Drop and Hook. Short loads pay more he said that is just the fact of life. As he stated everyone hates NY City and NJ and Boston area and parts of CT and The Island. so he rakes in the big dollar a mile there but the loads take longer to do even though drop and hook. They don't have a problem him running 700 to 1000 mile solo loads either like down to Larado Texas for Example. He goes to a Schneider Load board and picks his own loads. That is what he has told me. The biggest 2 costs he has is his Truck payment from Schneider leasing of which supposedly not affiliated with Schneider (RIght) and His Maint Esq. The Truck payment per week good golly he said is 400 something and he driving a Cascadia 2012. He cant afford to pay a driver and pay the truck payment too. So he drives himself. That being said he did say if the company paying the tolls off the EZ Pass make those short loads in and outa New York a non Hesitate too take off the load board. and they pay 3.30 all miles. He called it a sliding scale. So for Long loads get the standard 1.78 and yes that's with fuel Sur-Charge. I Caught only a part of todays Phone Con not all of it. I got question that were never brought up from where I came in at I caught the last half and some body was talking about Schneider. Well The above is what Frank gets. Is he really happy No!!

flat

Rookie Expediter
All i heard is we will be recieving commom carrier rates or less without regard to endosement & equipment weather the load is à discount load or not.. What this shows is the new rate should be the min. amount fedex should be charging for discount loads. Why do we have to pay for tolls out of our Pocket eat detention time on certain loads. And find out the hard way that the way they charge the customer. That why we counter offer on loads to make up what they chargé for. For the service we offer is what commom carrier don't. Delivery within hours of pickup, liftgate, pallet jack, inside delivery, padding, etc. I feel we are trying to steal work from fedex freight or ground. There à reason customers call C. C.That is we deliver the service they need. This comes with à cost to both the customer & drivers. We don't sit hundreds of miles from home, eat on the fly, risk dry runs, you know the rest to do a load they need that normal mode of delivery can't meet.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I've been getting the impression that surface loads will be the "nothing special loads" that are only needed quickly and we are going to be paid to run them at a rate competitive to other expedite carriers. Hopefully this will make FedEx more competitive and we will get more loads.

The special loads, lift gate, inside delivery, reefer, etc., will be primarily White Glove loads and will pay extra.

aimeejos

Active Expediter
The sad part is they keep charging the customer top dollars for the load (expedited service ) and we going to get paid like a joe banana trucking

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
All i heard is we will be recieving commom carrier rates or less without regard to endosement & equipment weather the load is à discount load or not.. What this shows is the new rate should be the min. amount fedex should be charging for discount loads. Why do we have to pay for tolls out of our Pocket eat detention time on certain loads. And find out the hard way that the way they charge the customer. That why we counter offer on loads to make up what they chargé for. For the service we offer is what commom carrier don't. Delivery within hours of pickup, liftgate, pallet jack, inside delivery, padding, etc. I feel we are trying to steal work from fedex freight or ground. There à reason customers call C. C.That is we deliver the service they need. This comes with à cost to both the customer & drivers. We don't sit hundreds of miles from home, eat on the fly, risk dry runs, you know the rest to do a load they need that normal mode of delivery can't meet.

Well it wasn't that long ago about year ago in Nov I did 2 loads back to back that Boston MA FedEx Freight Team turned down. They went to del and brought it back and told Freight nope not happing. So CC called and asked me I said Yup. It was 2 53 foot Truck loads of computers I took up 4 decks for FedEx. Nancy up in Boston when I got their the first day asked me where my Team Partner was I said at the Time ME Myself and I are Present and Accounted for. The 2 individuals that were Fed Freight were Present and Snickered about me being my self. Well they loaded my first days work and I got there and took the whole mess of Computers up 4 decks in a small people Elevator. Took me all day and I put them in the rooms the Gentleman wanted them in. When I was done I took the Pallets and the Plastic back to Freight and disposed of it. Nancy was there and she said good Job how ya feel I said Good to go. The 2nd day I did it again all day long. got done and well she look at me and said good Job Me Myself and I and looked at the 2 Freight guys and shook her head. She told me if I ever need a job come see her. Now is that good? Sure it is!!!! This weekend I'm putting to the test what was said about Pre-dispatched loads 3 to 4 days out. Lets see If I get a call this weekend to do a run or 2 before I do the one I got way next week. . ME Myself and I are Waiting!! Well ???That was good Yup Sure IS!!! A salute to Military Working Dogs

Attachments

• hDF3FBC6ECCC.jpg
    hDF3FBC6ECCC.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 85
  • jumpyXSS.jpg
    jumpyXSS.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Jumpy.jpg
    Jumpy.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 92
Last edited: