Conference call for surface fleet

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Anyone listen to the call this afternoon? It was very enlightening. The discussion of stacking loads and getting more fleet coordinators did actually make me feel a little better about the new pay plan.

It does seem they had a lot of mis-information and lack of knowledge when people pointed out how a flat rate truck would steal work from white glove. Those were thoughts I never had.

Any thoughts?

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
Did they elaborate on how a fr truck can steal loads from a WG truck? And what is the "stacking" of loads pertaining to?

Sent from my XT1080 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
They played dumb with the surface trucks stealing a w/g load and said they'll get back to everyone about it. It was a white glove owner that called in and asked. They seemed very stumped and unwilling to comment on the issue.

As far as load stacking they were referring to getting a shorty load with a better load after it to make the shorty worth it. How that works out in real life will be interesting, but it could be worth it if it is done correctly and the second load is communicated up front.

They also talked about the authorized layover options. Apparently they will still be questionable if you get one or not. Many of us were hoping they would start giving layover options with all loads now to assist in relocating the trucks better but that won't be the case.

If anyone was on that call and understood any if this better, has more detail or understood this differently than me please chime in.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Oh, they did say that the acceptance for loads, w/g or surface, did not include cost as a factor. So if a load goes to 2 w/g trucks and a surface truck the surface truck would probably be a cheaper option for FDCC but the computer doesn't factor that in. If a w/g truck was in a better position in the cue they would get it over a surface truck.

The 60% w/g trucks may get offered the 1,000 mile load at $2,000 and the surface truck at $1,600 and they won't select the surface truck based on that $450 extra profit they could make. That being said, if it's offered to 2 w/g truck s for $1700 and a surface truck for $1600 and the w/g trucks bid $2,000 and the surface truck accepts the offer then the surface truck would get it.

Now, the question is do you believe that they would not choose to go the route that might make the company the additional $450?

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Did they discuss additional pts in the que for flat rate ?
I don't think I heard of that before Monday's FB.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
He said the pts only count for a surface load but that they had to look into some more to verify it won't place a surface truck over a w/g truck. They were unsure.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Any mention of relocatons from dead freight areas or pay adjustments for long DH?

Sent from my SCH-S738C using EO Forums mobile app

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
There's no pay adjustments of any kind. Period.

They said the fleet coordinator will try to get you a load out of an area or authorize you a dh out if there are no loads likely. Now, how that will play out in real life? Idk. Could be great, could be miserable.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
They refused to say if your in a dead freight area we will get you out of there which to me equals them saying we can and will still leave you in no mans land if we think we might get a load out of there eventually or don't need you anywhere else right now.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Sounds like we're not number one and not number two either so no need to try harder. We're just one of the mediocre unwashed masses and couldn't care less anymore.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using EO Forums mobile app

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Sounds like we're not number one and not number two either so no need to try harder. We're just one of the mediocre unwashed masses and couldn't care less anymore.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using EO Forums mobile app

Perhaps. The question is who can profit from this? Obviously FDCC can, but who else? Is it an owner operator? Small fleet owner? Small fleet owner with both w/g and surface units? Large fleet owners? Someone can thrive with this model, just who...?

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
In related to flat rate, I hear panther is flat rate as well, but they can request bonuses on top of the flat rate. Is that accurate? Maybe FDCC will allow that?

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Read your first sentence of post #8.

I know. I'm more curious if it will evolve to 'bonuses'. Wishful thinking probably. We will see. It will all depend on if FDCC can get the loads covered as to if they'll make any changes I guess.

It's so much "let's just see what happens" that almost everything, even from management is speculation and this event and it's repercussions will have to be dealt with after the change is made. FDCC is hoping this works out as much as the contractors that are staying on hope it will work out too. No one really knows what will happen and the phone call really made that clear.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
From the load offers I have seen today it would seem that they have gone to the same flat (crap) rate they pay surface trucks. What is even MORE amazing, and much worse, is there are trucks taking these loads! :eek: No wonder rates are falling.

aimeejos

Active Expediter
They have this new guys can even speak English in flip flops with $10 k truck and that's why the people with pride and being a professional we are getting the shaft

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They have this new guys can even speak English in flip flops with $10 k truck and that's why the people with pride and being a professional we are getting the shaft

There are those out there for sure. I am speaking of reefer loads I have seen today. HORRIBLE pay! Money losers no matter how one would try to make it sound, and yet, they get covered.

Work more, make less, is NEVER good.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter

I'd have to agree. Doing some dock to dock transfers I have been amazed by some of the nicest trucks and people that drive for FDCC and some of the worst, rudest, unclean and unintelligible people that really shock me that FDCC has given there dot number to these people and there broke butt trucks. And FDCC is frustrated because the safety level is dropping. Well no kidding. You think that a guy that paid $10k for a truck is going to maintain it? Even to bare minimum dot standards? Probably not.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
And I don't want to play down the $10k truck completely. Some people on these forums have bought $10k trucks and cleaned them up, made sure they were mechanically sound and have done real well. I'm not talking about that person. I'm talking about people that bought a cheap truck and are happy just driving into the ground.