Computer Based Sleeper

zman3k

Seasoned Expediter
I love to tinker around computers, heck I build my own desktops, and it seems that laptops and I don't really get along and something occured to me: with most new sleepers available with an option for x" LCD TV, why not use an LCD TV/Monitor and install a desktop computer in the sleeper. You could run all your fun stuff like movies, TV, if you like to play games like me...games. And also have it for your internet and business stuff. If we ever move to our own truck, this is something I'd like to try out b/c I've seen some of the sleeper designs and you could get a cabinet right underneath the TV/Monitor and put the computer there.

The challenges with the system would be securing the computer tower, finding optical drives that lock the disc down (a la laptops), I haven't seen many desktop type drives with that feature, although I have found a couple manufactured by pioneer that act like a CD player in a car, so that may be more preferable for this type of system. With a sufficient inverter and charging, power supply should not be a problem. Although, desktop parts have become more durable as time has gone on, still need a way to help buffer it from shocks...air ride for the computer. :p

Well that's my thoughts on this sort of thing, I think it'd be a fun project, and maybe someday I'll get to do it.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
RE: Sleeper Based Computer

OK two steps ahead of you here. I have been planning something like this but here is what I thought of.

I have been following MP3Car.com forum threads so I can see what the best fit for a truck is. But had an issue with buying a $120 case for a micro-pc setup or something like that – I want speed but don’t want to pay a small fortune.

Then one day I ran across this;

http://www.hackaday.com/2005/08/27/how-to-portable-car-pc/

and thought what a neat idea. So off to the surplus store I went to get the case and found them rather cheap in comparison to a PC case. The case I got is really a nice sturdy case and I am hesitant to cut into it, but already have the layout marked on the case.

I thought of a fan system but found a really easy water cooled system that is cheap. I have access to zero leakage connectors so portability is no an issue and I can mount the cooling unit anywhere and park the case under clothes or my manuals.

I would like to mount the drives in container that is not part of the MB case for a few reasons. I too am concern with the environment of the truck, seeing my sleeper is directly mounted on the frame and everything takes a beating. I think I solved the shock issues with the CD and hard drives, when I was looking at a high end Watkins-Johnson receiver to buy, I found really nice liquid shock absorbers (can’t find the cut sheet for them so I can’t give the link out) that a couple of the modules were mounted on and which seem to be perfect for mounting a frame inside of a small case for all the drives. I figured that if these shock absorbers were good enough for a $60,000 receiver that is mounted in a portable command center, it should be good enough for a small frame holding three HDs and a DVD recorder. I tracked down the manufacture by the part number and found out that they are like $20 each, cheap!

The power supply I would like to go with a 12 volt supply to eliminate the need for an inverter but the cost is really high for me. I also like the compact design of the 12 volt supplies I have seen and it would fit into the case I bought from the surplus store. The power supplies by the way are at www.mp3car.com store.

You mentioned the display; I found 19†wide screen LCD display perfect for my sleeper. Mounted on the left side of the sleeper and on a Ram mount that is on a dual rod base that goes across from left to right. The mount absorbs some shock but not all of it, which I hope that the rods will also take up some shock.

I would like to use multi-displays; the 19†is in the sleeper, a 10†in the cab for the mapping software/engine monitor and a 8†touch-screen for the entertainment system. I have in my little junk collection some really great multi-display video cards that have 3 and four display capability.

Also just to add a TV tuner to this, I found that they make a perfect match for this system, Kworld TV BOX1440 TV Tuner for LCD displays.

But here is my dilemma; I want a stable OS that I can do real multitasking with. Windows XP/Vista has some serious issues with multi-display/multi-application configurations so I have been thinking Linux – which has everything except a GPS mapping system. I tried what is out there and nothing comes close to what I use now. I was thinking of maybe using WINE but I have limited experience with that. The other issue with Linux, all my diag software for the truck does not work at all under Linux.

zman3k

Seasoned Expediter

I like the idea on how to resolve the shock issues with the drives as a whole, but a concern I still have is on a standard CD tray is having a CD hop up and down. Slot loads are hard to find, and are either expensive or worthless in terms of usage (ie no burning capabilities), and I haven't seen any 5.25 drives that have CD trays like laptops do.

I wonder, if I had a unitized cab body and sleeper that rode on an air suspension, would that be sufficient enough shock absorption for the drives such that you could use the optical drives whilst moving. Or would you still need even more shock absorption. Maybe I'm over worried about the optical drives, but I've had some stereo equipment in cars that would skip on the slightest road imperfection, or so it seemed.

And I wonder if they make mini load bars to shore help prevent front to back movement of the CPU for cabinet space. :D

greg334

Veteran Expediter

“I like the idea on how to resolve the shock issues with the drives as a whole, but a concern I still have is on a standard CD tray is having a CD hop up and down. Slot loads are hard to find, and are either expensive or worthless in terms of usage (ie no burning capabilities), and I haven't seen any 5.25 drives that have CD trays like laptops do.â€

Well actually I think that a true Panasonic drive (if you can find one because there are a lot of knockoffs on the market) with a large buffer will solve the problem. The buffer is used to eliminate the skipping problem during a data read with forward reading firmware and these drives are used in some of the test equipment that they install in cars/trucks. Panasonic leads the way in harsh environment components.

“I wonder, if I had a unitized cab body and sleeper that rode on an air suspension, would that be sufficient enough shock absorption for the drives such that you could use the optical drives whilst moving. Or would you still need even more shock absorption. Maybe I'm over worried about the optical drives, but I've had some stereo equipment in cars that would skip on the slightest road imperfection, or so it seemed.â€

Well that will solve about 80% of the problem but I would venture to guess that a better solution would be to rip the CD to the hard drive and leave it at that.

I didn’t add in to my post that I have a rather large catalog of music and talking book audio. Right now I think I am sitting at 13 days worth of music, 10 days of audio books and radio shows and countless hours of Old Time Radio shows (who needs XM radio?) just on the laptop, with more on the home computer and about 300 albums in pelican cases waiting to be ripped, cleaned and edited. Most of what I have on the laptop right now is a mess and un-cataloged or properly tagged, no motivation to straighten this up. Oh did I mention I am looking for more to have?

So much music, not enough time

Well anyway the issue I have is storage of the audio for playback. Not really needing 128K bit quality in the truck (this is not a concert hall), I started to convert it down to 68K to save on space but then the price of storage dropped to the point that have sitting on the floor in a box 3 new 250 GB hard drives I bought for $120, at that price I have now the start of a really good storage capacity – look there goes super truck with a terabit of storage on board!

Audio and video on demand in the truck, not bad!

“And I wonder if they make mini load bars to shore help prevent front to back movement of the CPU for cabinet space.â€

Yep I saw them but can’t remember if it was TrucknTow or in Indy.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member

I am so aroused right now...
Fit form and function, if I ever aspire to be a design engineer I will call upon you two for tech glamour...
You guys rock...
Pooter start truck
Pooter where the hell am I
Pooter I want nekkid midgets giving me directions
Pooter tell Panther I am getting my 34 hr restart
Pooter get Lawrence on the line
Pooter horoscope please
A virtual truck, yeah baby...
My solice,
Knowing that good and well educated men do what I do everyday...
Do it well and aspire to do it better

greg334

Veteran Expediter

" I am so aroused right now..."

Ahhhhh... don't get out much? :)

Thanks for the compliment:7

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've talked to my future son in law about doing this. He's a computer science graduate so he knows a lot about it. We talked about using one of the SFF systems to build it out. We'd have to figure out remote control so I can control my navigation software from the cab. I'm thinking a keyboard with touchpad built in along with a 7-8" monitor up front to view the navigation. It would take up no more than half the cabinet space of the 13" tv/dvd combo in there now. Maybe in the next truck.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
This thread is very interesting and way above my level of computing. All want to do is to use a computer while shut down to input data,e-mail and to look on the load boards. Not leased to anybody that requires daily verification or positioning, so unit would be turned off while moving not worried about cd skip

I have the following questions

I would like to use a standard desk top with a large monitor that would double as my TV/DVD.is this possible? mainly to reduce duplication and space

I remember from many years ago something about locking the hard drive to prevent damage?

would transfer data to home via attachments or memory stick.

Thanks

greg334

Veteran Expediter
>I would like to use a standard desk top with a large monitor
>that would double as my TV/DVD.is this possible? mainly to
>reduce duplication and space
>

Yes, it is no real problem. you can install a tv tuner in the computer and have it act as a digital video recorder, the same with using it as a DVD player.

>I remember from many years ago something about locking the
>hard drive to prevent damage?

Don't worry about that, I am sure that the HD parks the heads when shut down.

>would transfer data to home via attachments or memory stick.

Either is good.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I believe several of the HP and Sony units now have the TV tuner built in. I use a SlingBox to watch my home cable tv on my pc via the internet. That only requires the internet connection and software on the truck pc. Within a few years this will all be standard equipment I suspect.

EO Forum Moderator
----------

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I use a Sprint aircard. Picture quality ranges from perfectly clear to jumpy and barely watchable depending on location and aircard signal quality. That's the downside. The upside is when it's working well, which is most of the time, I'm not limited to a few local channels of varied quality signal from the nearest network market that hits the truck antenna.

EO Forum Moderator
----------