Comfort Pro/Proheat APU's

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
I just found out that the early Comfort Pro/Proheat PC5000 series units made by Teleflex using R22 Freon have had compressor failures. The failures are due to low freon. The loss of the freon permeates out through the hoses. Because the units hold only a small amount of freon, they can't take much of a loss, and will not cool properly. If left running the compressor will fail.

The above came from a flyer I picked up from TSI Western Star, in North Jackson, Ohio. The flyer put out byTSI states there are upgrades available from TSI, but are not warrantable upgrades.

I didn't copy word for word what the flyer said, but you would think that if the unit is under warranty, as mine is, that the upgrades would be covered. I have been and still am having problems with my comfort Pro. The unit loses freon every few months. It has cost me over $300 every time I have had to have HVAC unit recharged with R22. Nobody can ever find the leak. I just found out today that the leak is so slow that it is not detectable, that is what the service manager told me.

You would think that if Teleflex knows about the problem, which they must, that I should be covered under warranty for the upgrades, and receive a refund for the over $1000 I have spent so far for all the pressure checks and recharging of freon.

All of you out there who have these units and have had problems with the compressors and the HVAC unit holding freon should contact Teleflex, Carrier, or the shop that installed your unit.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I was told about $1200 for the upgrade. It is kinda funny, anytime you look at work on a truck, your house or anything big. $1000-1200 seems to be the starting point. I want to put shore power on my APU $1200. I want to put a Espar, $1200. New tires, just about everything starts around $1200. Why is that? LOL Layoutshooter

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
Well now you have done it!!!

Next time the price will be $2000 because ”the powers that be" will feel we are all accustomed with the $1200 so now we must move up the price scale.:eek::)

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
Did it mention how much the "upgrade" would cost?

It depends on the upgrade you choose:

To install a low pressure switch the cost is $60.84

To install low pressure switch, vacuum and recharge the system and check operation it costs $208.05

To do all the above and add the upgraded hoses the price will vary depending on the condenser location, an estimate will be given after inspection.

that is what is stated in the flyer.

It also says the following:

All the above options include the parts listed and freon. Any additional parts or labor required will require your approval and will be added to your invoice.

The flyer was put out by TSI Western Star. I don't think anyone else does this service. You can contact TSI for more information their toll free number is 1-800-388-3850. You can also email [email protected].

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Scott's Commercial Truck service in Toledo told me about the upgrades. They did not think it was really needed. They got my APU running pretty dog gone good. It works fine. It has limitations, not enough BTU's but it does what it is designed to do. It cycles, it heats, it cools. Could be colder at times but it just does not have the guts. The belts have been holding up better since I got the belts from Carrier. Scott's made sure the pulleys where all straight. Layoutshooter

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
The APU might not be cooling as well as it should due to low freon level. The unit only holds 32 ounces of freon, so even a small loss will make a difference in cooling. I have had to have my system recharged several times due to small amounts of freon loss. That is what the upgrades help prevent, and it also protects your compressor. If your unit is not under warranty it might be worth having the upgrades done. even though my APU is still under warranty I'm going to have it upgraded. It will save money in the long run.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I will be looking into it more. It is only 10,000BTU kinda small for a 96" sleeper. I will be home in Sept I will have it checked again. It works fine up until the 100 degree mark. Layotushooter