Cold Weather Time

KarylB

Expert Expediter
Ok drivers, how do you stay warm at night in your vans during the winter? It's getting cold now and two pairs of socks and heavy sweats aren't cutting it any more.

KarylB

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't know if these work or not but have seen 12v outlets that have circuitry built in to shut it off when the batteries get to a certain voltage level. It's supposed to let you run 12v items as long as possible while being certain you can still start your engine. Maybe one of those and a small 12v heater of some sort run on the lowest setting to maximize run time but take the edge off the cold?

Another option would be a deer stand heater. A guy I used to work with would take a coffee can and put a roll of toilet paper in and then enough alchohol to almost cover it. He'd light it and it would go for hours and keep him warm. You'd have to open the windows a little for ventilation but even with fairly large openings in his stand he said it worked great.

And of course there's the exponential increase in heat from shared bodily warmth. Not sure how it works but it's 4 times warmer with 2 bodies.

Good luck to you.

Leo
truck 767

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Leo said:

And of course there's the exponential increase in heat from shared bodily warmth. Not sure how it works but it's 4 times warmer with 2 bodies.

KarylB said:

Ok drivers, how do you stay warm at night in your vans during the winter? It's getting cold now and two pairs of socks and heavy sweats aren't cutting it any more.

And now I say:

Now I think I understand why so many expediters have dogs along for the ride....

:+

--
Mike N

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Well the best thing that i had found was using a zero degree sleeping bag which you can get at Gander Mountain for about 30 bucks. They work great. But for a sleeping bag to work properly you need to get in it undressed. When it is about 30 degrees and warmer you will be sweating in this thing and most likely opening it up to cool down. It also helps if you have a remote starter on your truck that way you can warm up the truck b4 getting out of the bag in the morning. Just need to keep the remote near by. The remote starter is also good for warming up or cooling down the vechile when needed. After you use it to start the vechile it will run for about 10 - 15 min. before shutting off. There have been times where you just need to run the van all night.

Best of Luck,
Fr8 Shaker

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Two bodies in a van is not only fun but it's worth it.

We have two deep-cycle batteries isolated from the van elec. system that provide all the extra electicity need for all the aux eqpt we've installed on the van. I have a 12v electric matress pad bought from a T/A one winter. I have it on the mattress, under a down comforter. I turn it on an hour before bedtime and it's cozy as can be. We also have another down cmforter over us and are warm as need be. Once asleep the cold doesn't bother us. We awoke one morn in Bismark, ND and it was -14 in the van; we weren't aware of the cold til we woke, then it wasn't nice.

You can purchase a catalytic propane heater at WalMart or Kmart. +/- $45. uses a small propane canister that's good for 8 hrs. Carbon Monoxide is negligible but a little ventilation is always warrented.

A must, in my opinion, is a Carbon Monoxide detecter. Even if you don't have a heater in the van, you are subjected to your idleing fumes as well as that of other vans parked nearby. A battery operated CO detecter can be bought at any Home Depot/ Lowes and probably Kmart Walmart.

While at the Store you might consider a good sleeping bag. Buy the best you can afford.

Sweet dreams,

Terry

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
It also helps if you
>have a remote starter on your truck that way you can warm up
>the truck b4 getting out of the bag in the morning.
> Fr8 Shaker

Wouldn't you know it, a woman asks a sleep related question and everyone responds!!

Re FR8 Shaker's comment about remote starts.

I had a retrofit remote starter in my 2000 Chev van, as did two acquaintences of mine. I enjoyed the feature for the reasonf FR8Shaker mentioned; however, in each of our cases, the control module for the gadget failed and activated the van security system whereby the van would not start. The security system secures the fuel pump if the van thinks someone is trying to start the van without a key. You can eventualy start the van after a 20-30 minute wait for the system to restore itself. My understanding of the remote start problem is its circuitry fools the van system into thinking a key is in the ignition. If any component in the remote system fails, the remote doesn't fool the van system, ergo, no start.

I long ago disabled the remote system. My next van will have one but I'll get assurance that it is compatible with the van and I'll have a disable switch in the event it fails.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
This idea won't do you any good to keep your bods warm, but it sure helps keep your side mirrors clear while stopped. Before you stop for any long period of time in snowy and icy weather, slip a couple of toboggins over your outside mirrors. In the morning, simply slip the mirror snuggies off, and you have mirrors that you don't have to scrape. Don't be like my wife and drive to the next town about twenty miles away with your mirrorboggins on. :+ :+

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
The remote starter I had on my van was a code alarm but it didn't have the security feature. I never had a problem with it starting when I needed it to. Also the propane heater you spoke about uses the small propane cylinders which cost about 1.88 at wal-mart. A friend of mine uses those and she said they last about 8 hours. Better then 8 gal. of gas @ 1.85 plus per gal.

Stay Warm,
Fr8 Shaker

P.S.
My van has heated mirrors ;-)

twodogsdaddy

Expert Expediter
If you don't mind spending a few bucks check out the Espar heater. Espar of Michigan that advertises here does a really good job. (From other Posts) they have them for diesel, or gas trucks and they plum it right into your fuel tank. You'll get your money back on fuel saved from idling and the added value to your van when it comes time to sell. They also offer cooling options for the summer. They are good people and will give you all the info. that you'll need on their products.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
A web site called air-n-water has a portable ac/heater unit that looks promising. Model WA1210H 110 volts 12,000btu $479.00 it measures 15X16X30 tall. I don't know how much battery power and inverter capacity it would require. The same or similar unit was on the Home Depot site, but I couldn't find it. :+ :+

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Ok.. I thought I had seen it all..... I met a guy the other night in the Circleville Ohio Walmart parking lot who had a set up I'd never thought of!!!!! I just had to go over and talk to him!

When he parked, he pulled out of the front of the van, one of those cargo carriers that mount on the Reese Hitch. Usually you see them on hunters' trucks etc. They're about 1 foot by 4 foot or so, metal mesh... he then pulled out a little Honda Generator, sat in on the cargo carrier, ran custom metal straps over it he had made, that had locking plates mounted on them. Fired the lil sucker up, (very quiet), ran extention cord out the back of the van, plugged it, got back in his van, plugged in his tv, and his electric heater!!!! He said one tankful would last all night!!!!!

I loved it.. So simple, it made me laugh! I wish I had a camera with me... later I realized I could have went in and got one of those disposable cameras.. but I never thought of it at the time.

Peoples ingenuity never ceases to amaze me! Granted, he had to make a 'cage' out of metal straps to keep people from stealing it, but hey, it was a cool idea.

Dreamer

Djcoak

Expert Expediter
Thats one thing I like about the expeditor side of things...much more open minds and ingenuity that other sides of the trucking business