CodeTRUCKER's Intro

codetrucker

Active Expediter
Howdy from Texas,

I'm a 52 year-old experienced OTR "big rig" O/O with a solvent ("in the black") trucking business that is essentially operated and managed by my adult children. I got off the truck in '09 due to some personal concerns and my two older sons took over the driving. My daughters handle the correspondence, bookkeeping, taxes, accounting, etc. Personal concerns no longer an issue.

We have a '92 Ford Club Wagon we are thinking of stripping to enter expediting with Panther Expedited(?). Just getting started, so lots of Band-Aids, and Kleenex available for the inevitable bloody noses! ;)

I've read enough to know I have some "searching" and a heap of reading before I'll ask any noob questions. ;)

I'm not looking to get rich, but I need some extra "phunee munee" to buy a small Piper or Cessna (Eurocoupe?) and pay for the flight lessons. I'm also looking at taking my children across the nation too!

Just thought I'd say "Hi!"
Calvin

PS - "codetrucker" is a mix of me being a computer programmer and being an OTR truck driver.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Panther is going to let you put a 1992 Window van on!?!?

As for taking the kids along "across the nation"...make sure you inquirer about the need for "passenger insurance"....well less you are planning on running team with the kids....

Panther, a 20 yr old Window Van...or most any other carrier for that matter...wow...

codetrucker

Active Expediter
Panther is going to let you put a 1992 Window van on!?!?

As for taking the kids along "across the nation"...make sure you inquirer about the need for "passenger insurance"....well less you are planning on running team with the kids....

Panther, a 20 yr old Window Van...or most any other carrier for that matter...wow...

Whether Panther let's me sign on is unknown just yet, but you have to start somewhere. ;)

codetrucker

Active Expediter
Did you actually talk with Panther about the van?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Not yet. Signing on to this forum is today is the only thing I have done toward expediting. Frankly, I'm not sure if I want to lease on or just get my own authority.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Not yet. Signing on to this forum is today is the only thing I have done toward expediting. Frankly, I'm not sure if I want to lease on or just get my own authority.

I doubt that many companies would allow that van, I would look around a little because there are probably some but most of the larger carriers won't. I used to drive truck and have found expediting to be a completely different ball game so I would recommend trying to learn the basics from a company before going off on your own.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
For the most ..the part the mid sized to larger carriers stop take units older then 5 yrs old....and some will not take a window van at all...if that van is what you are set on using, the smaller carriers or you own authroity might be the answer...

And while it isn't industry wide "yet"...alot of carriers aren't taking "cargo vans" at all..they want sprinters , cubes or the CargoMax, Ultramax type vans now....they want the 3 skid minimum capacity...

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
None of the biggies will take a van that old,I run a 95 chevy with one of the smaller carriers.and ain't no way you gonna make airplane money in a cargo van.