cobra 29 classic vs. galaxy949 or galaxy 959

mhoy40

Expert Expediter
i have always used a cobra 29 but have been thinking of changing to a galaxy949 or the 959 the only diffrence between the 2 galaxy's is the digital freq. counter. i was wondering if anyone at some point had a cobra series radio and switched to the galaxy radio and there opinion of the galaxy to cobra? and secondly if anyone knows of any other differences between the 2 galaxy radios? thank's in advance for your opinions.

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
I ran diffrent versions of the Cobra 29 for a long time. I really don't get off of 19 much, or really ever use sideband, so when I stepped up, I went to a Galaxy 929, because the Starlite faceplate was a nice addition. Now that Cobra has their Nightwatch series, I suppose the 929 isn't really a lot better, but I was able to have the 929 tweaked a lot higher than the 29 was. I believe the modulation was better from the 929 as well. I've since built a new combo, a Connex 3300HP with a TX Star Modulator-Plus. The Connex is a great radio, I wanted the the built-in echo, and the power switch, which alllows me to flick one switch and I'm a-ok to run the linear. The blue lighting is neat too, but that can be added to any radio. I have had a few friends run the 949, and were quite pleased, the 959 i don't know much about, but I have heard of a few people having problems with them here and there. To my knowledge, a Galaxy is an excellent radio, but doesn't like high-vibration environments. This may not be true, as in my MI gravel train days my boss ran a Galaxy 44. Best bet is to ask a good radio tech, a hard to find item, or someone who runs one currently.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Get your amateur radio license for actually having intelligent conversations and just any old cb for those times you need to get a traffic report or talk to a shipping office. With cb you have two options. You can either talk a mile or so or you can illegally run hundreds of watts and talk for lots of miles to one other guy illegally running hundreds of watts so he has enough power to walk all over everyone else to talk back to you. With vhf/uhf amateur radio you could talk dozens of miles through repeaters and at the right times hundreds of miles on 6 meter. With an hf radio you can talk to anyone around the world. Far better choices than cb.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Ditto on what Leo said, but here is my opinion;

I like the 29, basically it has a better selectivity and adjecent frequency rejection of the ones listed. The Galaxy is fine but barring the people (or as some put it echo heads) who want the c**p to make them sound lousy anyway, it is a good radio.

Connex, Cherokee, Maxon, Ranger, Mirage, superstar and other export radios are really uniden chassis designs with some production changes. Forgot which one is made at the uniden plant in TW - but they are basically all the same. The funny thing about some of these radios, they are modified for 10 meters from their original design.

One thing for sure is that the manufactures have yet to figure out how to 'plate' modulate the radios for clarity.

I have two radios here that I really like and may put in the truck, One is a stoner and the other is a CPI. I can't see puting my browning or tram in the truck.

dieselphreak2K

Expert Expediter
LDB, I do see your point in saying that. I agree. CB is a trashy band to be on, and all the amplifiers out there don't help a bit. I have a linear for the purpose of communicating at home. MY setup is hooked into my 4x4 when i'm home, and sometimes extra power helps alot when two ORV groups running 5 miles away from eachother need to coordinate efforts to get out of a jam. I would love to get my license, but i have my hands full right now trying to keep a new driver in line, and make this operation as profiable as possible. And for what it's worth, in my 5 years of trucking, i've made a few friends. TO reach them as we pass, i'll have to have a cb. If i knew more people that ran other bands, i might move there as well. I entirely agree with what you've said.

This isn't directed at you LDB, but I need to say this.

I think one thing forgotten at this site is that we all do the same thing. Wether we drive a brand new totally custom truck, or we scrape by with a beater, this site was put here so that everybody could help everybody out. It is not a place for those who have been in this buisness for years to look down upon others who are just hoping to make it to the next payment. After some recent posts, i'm outta here. I don't need to be looked down upon because i'm not the perfect expediter and i haven't ben there through it all.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>LDB, I do see your point in saying that. I agree. CB is a
>trashy band to be on, and all the amplifiers out there don't
>help a bit. I have a linear for the purpose of
>communicating at home. MY setup is hooked into my 4x4 when
>i'm home, and sometimes extra power helps alot when two ORV
>groups running 5 miles away from eachother need to
>coordinate efforts to get out of a jam. I would love to
>get my license, but i have my hands full right now trying to
>keep a new driver in line, and make this operation as
>profiable as possible. And for what it's worth, in my 5
>years of trucking, i've made a few friends. TO reach them as
>we pass, i'll have to have a cb.

If you're doing rock crawling or whatever kind of off road activity then some more power can be useful. It's when you are stuck on 285 crawling around Atlanta and somebody has a "big" radio that monopolizes things that it's a problem. If you are interested in an amateur license pick up a copy of "Now You're Talking". You can read 15-20 minutes a day when you are winding down to go to sleep or something and in a couple months be ready for your test. There are websites like QRZ.com and EHAM.net that have practice tests for free. With all your other stuff you may not get it finished in a week or two but you could get your tech license easily before year end. Good luck with it when you get into it.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5507, 5508, 5509
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.