Class Eight Hybrid Trucks Revisited

ATeam

Retired Expediter
In May, 2003, two months before Diane and I drove an expediting truck for the first time, I started a thread about hybrid trucks and wondered how long it would be before heavy-duty hybrid trucks would hit the market. "Not in our lifetime" was the collective answer of the voices of experience that then replied. See: http://www.expeditersonline.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi?az=show_thread&om=298&forum=DCForumID16

The June 1-14, 2007 edition of The Trucker included a story headlined, "Wal-Mart Stores take delivery of Peterbilt Class 8 hybrid tractor."

We live in a world that is not only changing but changing at an accelerating rate. In any industry, newbies have as much to contribute as anyone. Because they are new, and because they are looking at the industry with fresh eyes, newbies may see things that veterans do not.

Of course, veterans see things that newbies do not. But in a rapidly changing world, a newbie's look forward is at least as valuable as a veteran's look back.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Phil,
After reading all the press releases and Eatons sales pitch, I really wonder if the configuration for a line haul truck at the increased price is really worth it. I mean that the better solution which is being tested in Europe is the diesel/electric combination that removes any direct link from the engine to the transmission and with no batteries. I can see the use of batteries in city traffic but the highway really matters.