Class D or C? Confused.

Kyreax

Seasoned Expediter
Ok, so I keep seeing the Class D and Class C trucks...but then I click on a listing, it says its a class C when I thought it was a class D, and vice versa.:confused:

Can anyone clear up exactly what different factors go into determining what class a straight truck is?

Thanks.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Here is a basic breakdown. Some companies will differ slightly:

B Unit = Cargo Van
C Unit = Small Straight truck (Under 20ft box and/ or up to 5000 lbs.)
D Unit = Large Straight truck (20 ft or greater box and must be able to haul 12000 lbs. Some require 13000)
E Unit = Tractor w/ Trailer

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
These can also be equipped with a L/G, but because of the weight could turn a D into a C, driven by someone with either an A cdl, or a B cdl.

GET er done

Kyreax

Seasoned Expediter
Um, I think I , uh, wait, now, um...

*Head explodes again*:eek:

OK, so now that we have that out of the way...

Whats the difference between class 7 or class 8? Seems to overlap a bit with the description of the C / D stuff:confused:

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
ok I got this one, a Class 8 is a Heavy Duty Truck usally based on a Tractor That has had its Frame Streached to Fit the Box, However a lot of the Trucks end up weighing a lot and they become a "C" Unit. But The parts are heavy duty which means they last longer.

Kyreax

Seasoned Expediter
So, I guess I've narrowed it down to a class 9, F class Expeditor Amphibious Vehicle with 12 wheels and an elevator.

Buuuuuuut,

What's a lift-axle for then? Does it magically transform a Class 7 truck into a "D" Unit? Is its sole purpose to carry more weight?

And do lift-axle trucks operate under the same regs as the standard 3-axle Class 8 trucks?

Last edited:

ATeam

Retired Expediter
When you hit the road, something you will probably want to have in your truck, whatever kind it is, is the Rand McNally Motor Carrier's Road Atlas. In addition to maps, it includes a lot of useful information, including truck weight and size limits, gross weight definitions, pretrip inspection procedures, and information about a number of other topics that will raise questions when you first hear of them; terms like IFTA, IRP and SSRS.

The atlas is likely available at a truck stop near you. The atlas and the CDL manual from your state will help you answer some of the questions you are asking.

Happy reading!

Kyreax

Seasoned Expediter
Aha! Common Sense prevails once again.

* Kyreax hightails it to the Triple-T to grab an Atlas/Dictionary/Trucker's Thesaurus:)

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
So, I guess I've narrowed it down to a class 9, F class Expeditor Amphibious Vehicle with 12 wheels and an elevator.

Buuuuuuut,

What's a lift-axle for then? Does it magically transform a Class 7 truck into a "D" Unit? Is its sole purpose to carry more weight?

And do lift-axle trucks operate under the same regs as the standard 3-axle Class 8 trucks?

A class 7 truck can be a D unit. Many are. When you throw a 96 inch sleeper with a toity and shower in it, you take away from the weight of the freight it can haul. If you're suddenly less than the 12 or 13000 that your carrier requires to be a D, then you must find a way to up the amount of weight you can haul, or be stuck with being a C unit. Hence, the lift axle.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lift Axle or Tag axle allows you to be able to Scale more weight weight legally but not exceed the GVW Of the Truck

rdtrpn

Seasoned Expediter
Ok, so I keep seeing the Class D and Class C trucks...but then I click on a listing, it says its a class C when I thought it was a class D, and vice versa.:confused:

Can anyone clear up exactly what different factors go into determining what class a straight truck is?

Thanks.

c or d, it doesnt matter. I rarely haul load more that a 3,000 lbs. I have a c now, when i teamed i had a d. In both truck I think I ran 2 - 3 10,000 lbs loads out of the who know how many i've done now. just pick out a truck with the toys you want. consider mpg between manufacturers and reliability etc...

nobb4u

Expert Expediter
I agree that the difference between a C or D doesn't really matter unless you are not in the Elite Services or White Glove.

When you haul general freight then you need to be able to carry any load that comes across the board. So a D unit is more practical.

When you are in WG or Elite service I feel that a CR unit is the perfect fit. But that is just my opinion.