Class 8 stretch

Bigtyme

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Howdy all, i am seriously considering stretching either a western star 5964 or an International 9400 in the next few weeks, both the trucks I am looking at have around 350k on them one a 3406 cat and the other a N14 cummings, both eaton super 10's.. Anyhow my question is for anyone who has had this done to a used big rig.. Have u had any problems with the truck, motor, tranny or chassis due to the stretch? Does it drive straight? What kind of fuel mileage are u getting? And should I expect any engine problems due to the 350k miles on it? My reason for these trucks of choice is the shorter angled front-end, the setback front axle and the side exhaust.. So I have done some research.. I currently have an FL70 with almost 200k on it and I am just ready to upgrade.. Any info or advice would be great.. Thanks, Andy

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
it can be done, most important the shop that is going to do it
how many have they done , and are you able to talk to ones
and or look at it
but most important what's the shop rep, are they able to do it
and do it right as there are a few things they have to do,
like new drive shaft, rails

cat can do

Veteran Expediter
I have seen some of these trucks streched out to 335 w/b Reliable carriers has quite a few. I asked one of their drivers who does the stretching and his was done with Indiana custom truck no problems with tracking looked like it was factory. He said all the sleeper mfgs stretch frames. Hope this helps a little.

Bigtyme

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks for the info and feedback... I am looking to stretch it so its around 300 inch wheelbase when I am finished. I have checked with Allied truck in Grand Rapids, Mi, they say around 3000 bucks they'll do it.. Has anyone delt with this company before? Thanks, Andy

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I don't know what it will cost for sure, but most in past have said between $4-6k to stretch, plus cost of box and other parts. To really do a class 8 straight truck right, it should come from the factory with a full double railed frame to handle the long wheelbase without any bowing. But, many single rail jobs have been done and hold up well if done right. I would seriously Bigtyme, look for a tractor with less miles on it for this job that will have more engine warranty left on it. But if the price is right on the two tractors you are looking at, HAVE A MECHANIC CHECK THEM, and if you can, have them dyno tested before buying. Don't screw around here, as trucks can develop a lot of problems at 350K miles class 8 or not.
For a set back axle tractors like those, with a 60 or 72 inch sleeper, 320" will be about the right wheelbase with a single drive axle and a 24' box. A lot of guys doing stretches are keeping the twin screw setup for this you'll have to figure what size box you want and make some wild guessowrk on where to postion the axles- this is sometimes limited to driveshaft configurations too. Best to have your stretch done a place that has performed a lot of them, not Jesse James' cut and weld shop.
-Weave-

Crazy Eddie

Expert Expediter
Weave are you implying that you doubt to see a project like this going on at The Monster Garage with Jesse James and his gang?

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
There is a great idea- they could build something useful on Monster Garage for once!
-Weave-

Bigtyme

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks for taking the time to write that Weave, I looked at the Star in person and it turned out to look pretty rough, If it was takin care of how it looks then it will be in the scrapper soon.. I am now lookin at another Star I can get real cheap, it has N14 with eaton super 10 with 650k miles on it, it was overhauled about 100k ago and has a new clutch and rubber.. I was talkin with the stretch guy at allied truck and he says he wouldn't worry about the truck having 650k on it for a couple reasons, one being it looks like it was takin care of and the other if U look at a truck with 350k and one with 650k the one with less miles is gonna cost a whole lot more up front, at least 10k plus... U can rebuild an N14 and put a new tranny in for 10k was one of his examples.. So in a way it makes sense and since he is not a salesmen I tend to believe him because he doesn't care what I have him stretch.. Oh and also he said nothing on the truck will be stressed since it isn't gonna be hauling 60,000 pounds anymore so it should last better.. Well if this doesn't make any sense to u please give me your ideas or input. Thanks, Andy

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Actually makes perfect sense. If the truck looks good and can be stretched at modest cost, I would go for it. Looks do count for a lot with with vehicles- if not much was done to keep it looking decent outside, then chances are nothing was done to keep it up mechanically. They go hand in hand. Take the case of "Stacy" the 17 year old. She never washes her her car, and its body looks like it has been ran through a pinball machine. Do you think she knows what an oil change is, nonetheless gets them done? The "beauty is only skin deep" quote does not work with trucks.
-Weave-

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
I,m pondering on the same thing. Figure this is how itll work...get a tractor with a good axle set...for about 18 to 20 throw an engine and tranny in immediately for 10 to 12... cost of stretch complete 6000 (used box) and whalla ! >>>> Cost of New GVW of "only" 26000 single axle is like 76 gs a bit pricey...this way out of pocket its $36,000 and gvw of 56,000 cost works out to bout 65 CENTS per lb of capacity...even a new cargo will cost you 3$ a lb...hows that for erudication and rationalization ! ;)...an my wife wonders why she married me ! HA ! What yall think ?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I think you are on to something there,but before you buy that $18-20 K tractor, make sure if you are going to lease to one of the Expediting oufits that they do not have an age limitation on their leased vehicels. Seems to me that a $20 K tractor muight be 7-8 years old,and this could affect how many years you could run this vehicle.

Bigtyme

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Whiterabbits got it down good, I am paying 22k for the Star, which will stand tall in my yard on monday till I come up with a used box, which I have a great lead on one.. Most of the Expedite company's are allowing back to 95 or 96 for tractors, so this should fall in the same category.. Least where I am it does.. Thanks for all you guys input, Andy

Whiterabbit

Expert Expediter
Rich.. yeh that was one of my first thoughts to my friend, and its all just thinkin anyway, but im shying away from the fed ex, Panther type of carriers,just for that reason finding a lot of startup co,s willing to trade "rules" for "real" experience. Im hoping that the co. im signing on with will look at my performance record and kind of look the other way ,when it comes to certain "rules" ( Ive also found that alot of the complaints from shippers are that newbies dont like to get called out of bed at 3 am , heck ill take it! :) .) If the co. im with wont than maybe i can find a deal at a auction,or repo lot, like a tractor with a blown engine or bad tranny ...the older tractors 7 or eight years ago well theyre light years ahead , in comfort, of what i drove in the seventies.( What with what theyre charging for beat up , and i mean beat up!, exp trucks 99s etc with 400,000 miles on em , its like robbery i tell ya! but they sell em anyway ) Do like the classic lines of the older tractors , how about the old Dodge Power Wagons,man that was a truck!, if all else fails what with the money to be made in expediting nowadays ( if your willing to run the road ) 10 to, 15 gs more will be well spent ,and i REALLY do like those new Sterlings , my lifestyle has been such that i could make a condo sleeper "home" real easy !? Looks like things are finally turning hereabouts ! and its about time! good thoughts !