Class 7 or 8

greto1

Seasoned Expediter
I'm interested in purchasing a used 2-axle '07, pre-emission s/t. Of the two I'm considering, one is a Sterling Express 960 & the other is a Freightliner Columbia SST100. Since driving a c/v in '04-'05 I've read/heard that the class 7's don't hold up well - after 5-6yrs it's time to replace it. Plus, there seems to be ALOT of class 7's for sale. Appreciate the feedback.

Desperado

Seasoned Expediter
are you running single or team/ do you want a house on wheels or a smooth ride / me i'm back in a ten wheeler 10 speed man tran/ ran in snow,wind and ice yesterday sure felt a lot safer in this truck than i ever felt in a a six wheeler in the rain

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
I'm interested in purchasing a used 2-axle '07, pre-emission s/t. Of the two I'm considering, one is a Sterling Express 960 & the other is a Freightliner Columbia SST100. Since driving a c/v in '04-'05 I've read/heard that the class 7's don't hold up well - after 5-6yrs it's time to replace it. Plus, there seems to be ALOT of class 7's for sale. Appreciate the feedback.

Hard for us to know what would work for you. Experience is what most of us go by. Without it, you are just depending on our choices. We all have different thoughts on this. 7vs8 has been going on a long time now. Both have advantages as well as disadvantages. I think the reason you see more 7's for sale is because there are more of them being used for expediting. Therefore, there is more for sale. I also think that most folks who buy the 8's new, buy them for the long run as they are experienced expediters. They know what they want and spec it to do what they know they need. They wind up keeping them for years and so you don't see many of them for sale. Or if you do, it will have high miles on it.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Go for the Class 8 if you are going over the road. Class 7's will do the job but an 8 will do it a lot longer. Buy the right tool for the job.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I would go for the class 8 but I would consider other ones too.

In getting a truck, any truck, follow the practices of those who buy and sell a lot of them.

1 - get an oil analysis done.

2 - get a dyno done with blowby

3 - get an ECM dump

4 - if possible get a vischeck

5 - go to the dealer and have the VIN run to see what work was done to the truck.

Buying a truck is not like buying a car, you should trust those who test them to make sure they are good enough to last and you don't get a lemon.

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
I would go for the class 8 but I would consider other ones too.

In getting a truck, any truck, follow the practices of those who buy and sell a lot of them.

1 - get an oil analysis done.

2 - get a dyno done with blowby

3 - get an ECM dump

4 - if possible get a vischeck

5 - go to the dealer and have the VIN run to see what work was done to the truck.

Buying a truck is not like buying a car, you should trust those who test them to make sure they are good enough to last and you don't get a lemon.

Do we need our lawyer for anything when buying a truck? Can't remember!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Maintenance is key. You've got typical people and you've got meticulous people, speaking of the owners and how rigidly they view maint. Generally a class 7 truck is around a 500k/800k miles truck based on which type maint. it gets. Then you rebuild it and do it one more time and then it's used up. A class 8 will cost maybe 20% more as a new truck and it is an 800k/1250k miles truck again based on maint quality and level then you rebuild it and repeat and then it's used up.

Now that's like everything else. There are exceptions but overall I think it's fairly accurate. I'd go with a class 8 chassis every time unless I had a special gig that was only regional not national and only a couple tons max and often less AND I was disciplined enough to run no more than 65mph and had gearing etc. for that speed. Then I'd consider a class 7.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
I bought a used truck in 2004,it was a 1979 freightliner with a cat motoer that was suppose to have 100000 miles since majored.Bought it from dealer,1st load motoer blew up,and CAt repair shop said motoer had minumum 500000 miles,no over haul.Took dealer to court and received nothing.We had oil sample done,since truck had fresh oil you won't find anything.Oil pan had a new gasket,made you think had the overhaul.Good luck when buying used,unless you can get somekind of warantee

greto1

Seasoned Expediter
I'll be running solo. The 960 is said to have 320K on the odometer and the sst100 about 310K miles. In both cases, the couples purchased the trucks new and supposedly are retiring. Regarding Greg334's tips: If the fluids have recently be changed I don't see how a fluid analysis would tell me anything. Having a dyno w/ blow-by performed, the ECM dumped & a dealer run the VIN # makes sense. What is a vischeck? Is this a reference to the oil's viscosity which would be found w/ the oil analysis? What is the cost for each of these tests?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Regarding Greg334's tips: If the fluids have recently be changed I don't see how a fluid analysis would tell me anything.

Actually it can tell you a few things, mileage on the fresh oil can show some things (like lead) but running for some miles - maybe 20 to 40 - can produce some indication of problems. Remember that just because they changed the oil doesn't mean all the contaminates are flushed out.

Having a dyno w/ blow-by performed, the ECM dumped & a dealer run the VIN # makes sense.

Yep it has saved me from making a mistake a few times.

What is a vischeck?
Go here;

Vehicle Inspection Systems

Is this a reference to the oil's viscosity which would be found w/ the oil analysis? What is the cost for each of these tests?

I paid for the tests to be done on all the trucks I looked at last year and I think it all came to about $350 a truck. This sounds like a lot but when you have say a bottom end problem that isn't found or a brake issue that wasn't discovered, the money on the front end is well spent.