Class 6 Truck Ok for Expediting?

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Was interested in buying a class 6 truck, probably just do local for now.

One day I might want to add a 72" sleeper and run loads all over the West Coast and rest of US/Canada.

Would a 18 or 20ft box be ok? Would a hazmat and a reefer allow me to run with a smaller box?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I do not drive a st but in my many years reading here on eo I do not ever remember seeing anyone recommend a class 6 for this business.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Class 8 all the way. If you have to go class 7 get a truck with a class 8 powertrain. I do agree that a class 7 Pete or kW is probably as well built as their class 8 models, but the Lil cummins, paccar and cat engines aren't. I have a cat c13 acert which is arguably one of the worst class 8 engines ever built and it has over 800,000 miles on it, gets treated like a dog from my drivers and runs strong. You'll have a hard time finding any class 7 engine that'll do that. And a class 6 engine is almost always a V8 or a 6.7L engine designed to run 200,000-300,000 miles tops. Most of those can't have an in-frame either. Not to mention those engines have to run hard to move that much truck so you'll see 7-8mpg. My kW with the cat c13 gets 9.5 mpg and my cascadia's get 10+. That's easily $1,000 difference per month if you are running pretty good. And 30,000 mile oil changes over 10,000-15,000 mile oil changes can save you a lot.

Just don't wanna see you make a decision we will read about in a year that you regret. We're all out here to make money and having the right tool really helps. Oh, I also like the vn630's. They'd be great for a solo.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Class 8 all the way. If you have to go class 7 get a truck with a class 8 powertrain. I do agree that a class 7 Pete or kW is probably as well built as their class 8 models, but the Lil cummins, paccar and cat engines aren't. I have a cat c13 acert which is arguably one of the worst class 8 engines ever built and it has over 800,000 miles on it, gets treated like a dog from my drivers and runs strong. You'll have a hard time finding any class 7 engine that'll do that. And a class 6 engine is almost always a V8 or a 6.7L engine designed to run 200,000-300,000 miles tops. Most of those can't have an in-frame either. Not to mention those engines have to run hard to move that much truck so you'll see 7-8mpg. My kW with the cat c13 gets 9.5 mpg and my cascadia's get 10+. That's easily $1,000 difference per month if you are running pretty good. And 30,000 mile oil changes over 10,000-15,000 mile oil changes can save you a lot.

Just don't wanna see you make a decision we will read about in a year that you regret. We're all out here to make money and having the right tool really helps. Oh, I also like the vn630's. They'd be great for a solo.

Why not just go with the VNL 730 and get the larger sleeper? Better mpg is always more appealing.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A class 7 truck is a 600k maybe 800k if you're lucky truck. A class 8 is a million plus mile truck maybe 2 million miles with proper care and maintenance. The class 8 will cost maybe 20% more than the class 7 for 50% to 100% more useful life. I have no idea of the cost of a class 6 but don't see it as suitable for expediting at all. It might be fine for local only use but class 8 is the way to go for expediting IMO. YMMV.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
Why not just go with the VNL 730 and get the larger sleeper? Better mpg is always more appealing.

I say the 780. I like all things volvo. Don't own one but I'm working on that too. The D13 with I-shift is a hard combo to beat. The DD13 with D12 tranny is maybe a touch better, then again maybe not, but for factory sleepers the 780 is way nicer than a cascadia factory sleeper.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i started out in ud 1800 straight truck with a 48'' sleeper and 14' box did the job but i add on the
single sleeper not much room
small fuel tanks , add 2nd fuel had a total of 30 gal's
5,000 lbs load

2nd truck was fl60 better set up and genset
3rd turck was western star was best class 8 only way go

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
i started out in ud 1800 straight truck with a 48'' sleeper and 14' box did the job but i add on the
single sleeper not much room
small fuel tanks , add 2nd fuel had a total of 30 gal's
5,000 lbs load

2nd truck was fl60 better set up and genset
3rd turck was western star was best class 8 only way go

:eek:
What is the minimum size sleeper you can have now a days? That volvo vnm 630 may be able to be ordered from the factory with extended frame ready to drop a box on it and it comes with a 61" sleeper. Too bad you can't get them used. It's rare that anyone buys them, they usually opt for the day cab vnm 200 or the heavy weight vnl 780. D11 is all you need for expedite, unless you're in a 53 running western loads over the Rockies.

Last edited:

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What is the minimum size sleeper you can have now a days? That volvo vnm 630 may be able to be ordered from the factory with extended frame ready to drop a box on it and it comes with a 61" sleeper. Too bad you can't get them used. It's rare that anyone buys them, they usually opt for the day cab vnm 200 or the heavy weight vnl 780. D11 is all you need for expedite, unless you're in a 53 running western loads over the Rockies.

Minimum size is 24" to be dot legal.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter

The only down side to the d11 is resale value and you step into an engine that volvo doesn't recommend extended oil changes on. A d13 is a million mile engine. So if you sell the truck with 600-700k miles on it, it still has lots of life left on it. The d11 probably has lots of life left on it but you'll have a lot less people willing to buy it and they'll want it cheaper. Just things to consider when u buy this truck.

Also, why not a vn670? The higher roof and better aero will give you better mpg, unless your thinking of putting the roof faring on the 630. Also the 670 is a team truck as well. Even if you run it solo you can sell it or eventually put a team in it when you look to upgrade.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I wanted to wait until I could get on my computer to respond to this topic as its a pain to type a long response on my phone.

I drive a class 6 truck and have put thought about moving up to a class 7 or 8 truck, but the more I research it, the more I will stay in a class 6.

The pros of staying under 26k are no CDL, or IFTA or apportioned plates, lower priced trucks and a different California emissions compliance table.

The cons are a little less weight capacity (more on that later), and trucks that will wear faster.

My current truck is a 2005 Hino 268, I only have a 24" sleeper (which sucks), a 24 foot box with a liftgate. My empty weight is about 15,500 so I can carry 10k legally.

The carrier I run for has one class 7 Hino that has a big sleeper, 20 foot box, no liftgate and it can haul 12k, so I ask the question, is crossing the 26k mark and the extra regulations worth the extra ton of capacity?

Now I have seen some nice class 8s out there also and if they are only single axle, 33.6k GVW, then the cargo capacity is back down closer to 10k because of the heavier duty components of the big truck.

In 2012 my carrier purchased 2 new freightliner trucks (under 26k) that had the integrated sleeper that is part of the cab, those trucks have 24 foot boxes and liftgates and were 80k new. When its time for me to get a new truck, I am going to go for another Hino 268 (hydraulic brakes), but going to go for about a 60" sleeper, 20 foot box and liftgate, im guessing that should be about 85k or so and should still be close to 10k capacity. I know that I am going to have to custom build that truck so going to be interesting.

The nice class 8s will last longer for sure, but since they cost 120k to 150k, how long will the extra wear and tear on a class 6 catch up to the massive extra cost of the class 8?

Unless you are going to haul lots of heavy freight, better in the longrun to go class 6, but that's just my opinion.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wanted to wait until I could get on my computer to respond to this topic as its a pain to type a long response on my phone.

I drive a class 6 truck and have put thought about moving up to a class 7 or 8 truck, but the more I research it, the more I will stay in a class 6.

The pros of staying under 26k are no CDL, or IFTA or apportioned plates, lower priced trucks and a different California emissions compliance table.

The cons are a little less weight capacity (more on that later), and trucks that will wear faster.

My current truck is a 2005 Hino 268, I only have a 24" sleeper (which sucks), a 24 foot box with a liftgate. My empty weight is about 15,500 so I can carry 10k legally.

The carrier I run for has one class 7 Hino that has a big sleeper, 20 foot box, no liftgate and it can haul 12k, so I ask the question, is crossing the 26k mark and the extra regulations worth the extra ton of capacity?

Now I have seen some nice class 8s out there also and if they are only single axle, 33.6k GVW, then the cargo capacity is back down closer to 10k because of the heavier duty components of the big truck.

In 2012 my carrier purchased 2 new freightliner trucks (under 26k) that had the integrated sleeper that is part of the cab, those trucks have 24 foot boxes and liftgates and were 80k new. When its time for me to get a new truck, I am going to go for another Hino 268 (hydraulic brakes), but going to go for about a 60" sleeper, 20 foot box and liftgate, im guessing that should be about 85k or so and should still be close to 10k capacity. I know that I am going to have to custom build that truck so going to be interesting.

The nice class 8s will last longer for sure, but since they cost 120k to 150k, how long will the extra wear and tear on a class 6 catch up to the massive extra cost of the class 8?

Unless you are going to haul lots of heavy freight, better in the longrun to go class 6, but that's just my opinion.

What do you think a KW T270 or Peterbuilt 335 class 6 w/ 72" benz sleeper would weigh? I was in Laredo once for a day and had the privilege to meet the owner and ride in this PB 335. I was pretty impressed! Jabez - Expediting & Logitics

Too bad Volvo doesn't make a class 6. That would be the sweetest ride out there, I bet it'd get 12-14 mpg! I also like the idea of a 20 ft box and 72" sleeper. The 86" is nice but kinda overkill unless you're on the road 365.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
I think the question of team vs solo comes to play also. We run team trucks. A 4 year old truck could easily have 1/2 million miles on it and a 10 year old truck could be close to 1.2-1.4 million miles. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess the 2005 hino mentioned doesn't have near those miles.

If I were a solo it would be a harder decision for me to make. I would probably consider a class 7 a little more than I do now. The class 6 vs. class 7 truck is easy for me. I'd go class 7. I have a cdl, do apportioned plates now for a few trucks and My carrier provides ifta. I don't see it as a problem at all. I love being on air and don't miss hydraulic brakes at all.

I do think a class 6 truck with that large of a sleeper will weigh more than you give it credit for. I haven't worked with alumibunk but ict sleepers in that size are not light. Plus the larger bunk means you will bring way more personal items than you may do now.

Daffyduck528

Expert Expediter
What do you think a KW T270 or Peterbuilt 335 class 6 w/ 72" benz sleeper would weigh? I was in Laredo once for a day and had the privilege to meet the owner and ride in this PB 335. I was pretty impressed! Jabez - Expediting & Logitics

Too bad Volvo doesn't make a class 6. That would be the sweetest ride out there, I bet it'd get 12-14 mpg! I also like the idea of a 20 ft box and 72" sleeper. The 86" is nice but kinda overkill unless you're on the road 365.

That Pete is a very sharp looking truck. Also, fwiw, their are teams in our forums that get 12-14 mpg out of a class 8 truck. It's not just a dream.

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

I would like to know how much that would weigh too I can't even find out how much the cab and chassis weighs. I was surprised to see that they do have a model with hydraulic brakes.

One thing I did notice is that the paccar engine is not sleeved. That's a big down side to me.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
From the living room the 72" is huge. From the road the 86" is adequate and oh wouldn't it be nice to have that 96". That goes double if it's a team operation. YMMV

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I think the question of team vs solo comes to play also. We run team trucks. A 4 year old truck could easily have 1/2 million miles on it and a 10 year old truck could be close to 1.2-1.4 million miles. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess the 2005 hino mentioned doesn't have near those miles.

If I were a solo it would be a harder decision for me to make. I would probably consider a class 7 a little more than I do now. The class 6 vs. class 7 truck is easy for me. I'd go class 7. I have a cdl, do apportioned plates now for a few trucks and My carrier provides ifta. I don't see it as a problem at all. I love being on air and don't miss hydraulic brakes at all.

I do think a class 6 truck with that large of a sleeper will weigh more than you give it credit for. I haven't worked with alumibunk but ict sleepers in that size are not light. Plus the larger bunk means you will bring way more personal items than you may do now.

My hino only has 500k on it, the majority of the miles have been in the last 4 or 5 years, I think this truck used to have a refrigerated box on it and was used locally before I got it. One thing to remember about the hino engine is that it is a sleeved engine, don't think there are many class 6 or 7 for that matter that are.

If I was with a carrier that kept track and did everything for ifta I would not care as much but if I went over 26k I would have to do that all myself.

I'm kind of curios on the sleeper weight too, I would like to find a sleeper that has nothing in it, would set it up the way I want it, was hoping that the bigger sleeper and the smaller box would about even out.

Was even thinking of a 26 foot box and making the first 6 feet into the sleeper.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I believe the engine that comes in the class 7 paccar is sleeved and rebuild-able. You get more weight capability and air brakes etc as mentioned but then have the cdl requirement. I have a b w/ hazmat so I'm good on that... overqualified sprinter driver :)

It's good to hear the pros and cons. DD528 appreciate the breakdown and reason why you like the class 8. What trucks are pulling 12-14mpg? I've heard those class 6 pete and kw can go a million miles if maintained. You can get 800k out of a 06 Sprinter why not a class 6?! Maintenance is a factor.

So what is the average load weight for a straight truck w/ a 20-24 ft box?

Last edited:

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My hino only has 500k on it, the majority of the miles have been in the last 4 or 5 years, I think this truck used to have a refrigerated box on it and was used locally before I got it. One thing to remember about the hino engine is that it is a sleeved engine, don't think there are many class 6 or 7 for that matter that are.

If I was with a carrier that kept track and did everything for ifta I would not care as much but if I went over 26k I would have to do that all myself.

I'm kind of curios on the sleeper weight too, I would like to find a sleeper that has nothing in it, would set it up the way I want it, was hoping that the bigger sleeper and the smaller box would about even out.

Was even thinking of a 26 foot box and making the first 6 feet into the sleeper.

Time will only tell, please report back when your engine blows up. Oh wait that's a Toyota they last forever! :)

Interesting let us know how that in box sleeper works out. Why can't Morgan design something like that?!

Last edited: