Cities with little going out you avoid going to?

dc843

Expert Expediter
Researching
That other thread about Laredo had me thinking, what other major cities or areas have you guys had bad luck getting anything going back out and constantly had to deadhead out?

I want to start being more picky about the loads i take so i can as best as possible avoid sitting.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Since I started driving OTR t/t, I've had luck getting out of everywhere I went. There are still some truck unfriendly cities that I will refuse to go to, but that's a different subject.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes big difference between straights and vans. There is also a difference in companies, one may do decent in a certain place and another not so much.

Reactions: hazmat and TDave

Kazper

Rookie Expediter
Owner/Operator
Draw a line from Buffalo to Boston. Any more than 40 miles north of that is sketchy territory.
Any elevation above 6000 feet west of the Mississippi or above 2000 feet east of the Mississippi.
Deader than dead.
Lower elevation = Natural running water.
Water = Manufacturing.
Manufacturing = Expedited Loads
As a general rule, population = potential.
Relocate empty to where the people (workers) are.
Avoid touristy places where the economy is driven by visitors rather than production.
That is my oddball list of personal mental considerations.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Louisville, Cleveland, Chicago, Kokomo, Ft.Wayne, Indy, Findley, Cincinnati are all a safe bet for me to either be a deadhead home due to lack of work or a 100+ mile deadhead to the next pick-up. All places that should have freight. (My magic circle has become fairly flat.)
Come to think of it, it seems like most all my pickups are pushing 100 or more M.T. miles.

TeamPaul

Expert Expediter
Researching
That other thread about Laredo had me thinking, what other major cities or areas have you guys had bad luck getting anything going back out and constantly had to deadhead out?

I want to start being more picky about the loads i take so i can as best as possible avoid sitting.

Have you seen this video? Video was made by TeamHutch

Last edited:
Reactions: RoadTime and Turtle

JohnWC

Veteran Expediter
Over the years big rig solo
Team solo streight truck
Cargo van solo
It is about being in the right place at the right time
And really nothen more
I've been paid to deadhead up to 500 miles full rate to do 100 mile load
I've deadhead ed myself 1000 miles to get back into freight areas just to sit there to
Its all about right place at right time
Unless you want to run cheap expidite freight
I seen freight coming out of hot spots for 55 cents a mile all in from brokers
I was sitting in LA CA a few years back coming off vacation pretty much broke on saterday morning everybody there headed east but me about 12 vans 3 trucks
Sunday rolled around
Guess what load to Ohio
95 cents per mile to me
Figger out your game what the lowest you will run for don't get to low or they will think you will always run for that price
I've seen the bills at what they are paying and they one taking the cut in pay in most cases is us

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Louisville, Cleveland, Chicago, Kokomo, Ft.Wayne, Indy, Findley, Cincinnati are all a safe bet for me to either be a deadhead home due to lack of work or a 100+ mile deadhead to the next pick-up. All places that should have freight. (My magic circle has become fairly flat.)
Come to think of it, it seems like most all my pickups are pushing 100 or more M.T. miles.
Really? ..... Ft Wayne and Findley? Those are 2 of our best locations!

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Really? ..... Ft Wayne and Findley? Those are 2 of our best locations!

All the cities I listed use to be good with TSt also, I know there is freight coming out if those places. It very well could be the customer base? I have no idea why it requires going so far to get a load from these towns.. Once in a blu moon it will line up but most of the times it a deadhead out.
In all fairness for Findley and Ft Wayne, are close enough to the house I won't sit there to long, their time to find me freight for those locations start the min they give me a travel order to go there. For me to sit in Ft Wayne for 2 days waiting is stupid when I can be on my couch.

Reactions: NorthernBill