Cargo Van CIS news!

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you sure the coverages were the same ?
Can't believe an 800 $ difference. Something has to be outta whack. You should investigate !!

But I am biased !!!

All what I asked for was physical damage and non trucking liability... I talked yesterday directly to a Progressive agent and it was even cheaper than the other intermediary agencies, $500/mo for two vehicles...

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
All what I asked for was physical damage and non trucking liability... I talked yesterday directly to a Progressive agent and it was even cheaper than the other intermediary agencies, $500/mo for two vehicles...

So what were the amounts of the coverage you asked for and how much coverage for other people!!

You need to have each place send you hard copy quotes with coverage amounts and then compare.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
we'd have to know every rider involved,
my big reduction over most in here is NO replacement rider which is about $900/$1,000$ per $10,000 worth of replacement value.....

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Who insures these Russians thats ruining the C/V industry? I dont even think some of them have drivers licenses.

Last edited:

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Who insures these Russians thats ruining the C/V industry? I dont even think some of them have drivers licenses.

My guess is they look at it as a comparison of jobs.
Work a register at a convenience store. Maybe $400.
Flip burgers. Maybe $350.
Clean construction sites. Maybe $400-600.
Wash cars. Maybe $350-$450.
Run a c/v or older Sprinter or yellow for 60-70 cpm and spend 40-50 cpm operating 1500-2500 miles WITH REPAIRS. Maybe net $300-$750 BUT live in a truck ALL the time.
Please don't pick apart my math. Just spit-balling.
I'm not saying that's the only job they could get. Just the easier jobs to get.
I'm ALSO not condoning it. We all have other interests, family, homes, pets or kids. Or ALL of the above.
The fewer of these expenses they have the higher the cost per mile they can justify.
Just one idiot's opinion.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

sbarrett

Expert Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
Fleet Owner
That's not apples to apples. CIS makes sure everyone is covered, not just the minimum you can get away with. Cost of doing business, if you cut corners you are putting everyone involved at risk.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
That's not apples to apples. CIS makes sure everyone is covered, not just the minimum you can get away with. Cost of doing business, if you cut corners you are putting everyone involved at risk.

Yeah. $500 for two is NOT the same as the insurance we have. Insurance costs a small fortune. Ok, maybe a medium fortune. But if one is to be insured to the proper levels and the levels that the industry wants, suck it up Buttercup. Swim with the big fish or GET OUT OF THE WATER.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

That's what the carrier asked me to have, the rest is covered by them.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
That's what the carrier asked me to have, the rest is covered by them.

No it's not, your phys. damage and liability take care of anyone you have and accident with and there injuries or damage when not under load. If your coverage amounts per person are low then those amounts could fall short. Then you are sued and screwed !!! Lower coverage amounts will make your policy less expensive but not good. Like I said get all your quotes in front of you and compare them. They probably are not the same.

Reactions: sbarrett

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I can easily do .60 or .70 and be properly insured... And make a good profit... It can be done...
But NO ONE wants the rates to go there. This industry is suffering at the hand of people that regularly bid 70-90 CPM total rate. And I mean regularly. Not the Laredo, KC, Dallas, etc exceptions. But all the bids.
When 75 cpm is the norm, this industry is screwed. And bad.
As most do, we try to hold the rates together as high as we can. More to the truck and as much margin as the market will allow. This year has been difficult, to say the least. But yes, concessions have been made. More sitting is the norm. More DH can be norm.
It's painful.
We all feel that.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
But NO ONE wants the rates to go there. This industry is suffering at the hand of people that regularly bid 70-90 CPM total rate. And I mean regularly. Not the Laredo, KC, Dallas, etc exceptions. But all the bids.
When 75 cpm is the norm, this industry is screwed. And bad.
As most do, we try to hold the rates together as high as we can. More to the truck and as much margin as the market will allow. This year has been difficult, to say the least. But yes, concessions have been made. More sitting is the norm. More DH can be norm.
It's painful.
We all feel that.
All I was meaning is I could go to that level and be legal... Personally I wouldn't want to go there .....:)

Reactions: ntimevan