Cinco de Mayo

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Most people don't know that back in 1912 Hellman's mayonnaise was manufactured in England. In fact, the "Titanic" was carrying 12,000 jars of the condiment scheduled for delivery in Vera Cruz, Mexico which was to be the next port of call for the great ship after New York City.

Mexicans were crazy about the stuff.

The Mexican people were eagerly awaiting delivery and were disconsolate at the loss. So much so that they declared a national day of mourning which they still observe today.

It is known, of course, as ...sinko de Mayo.

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
I hope you are meaning this as a joke. I have never heard that and find that very amusing, made me chuckle. Cinco De Mayo is a celebration for Mexican Independence and as a way to commemorate the cause of freedom and democracy during the first years of the American Civil War, just as we celebrate the Fourth of July, Mexican-Americans celebrate Cinco De Mayo. I think its just another reason to have a Corona or a Dos Equis XX LOL!!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It was the loss of all those "condiments", and the following celebrations, that led to the population explosion in Mexico in the following years.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
I hope you are meaning this as a joke. I have never heard that and find that very amusing, made me chuckle. Cinco De Mayo is a celebration for Mexican Independence and as a way to commemorate the cause of freedom and democracy during the first years of the American Civil War, just as we celebrate the Fourth of July, Mexican-Americans celebrate Cinco De Mayo. I think its just another reason to have a Corona or a Dos Equis XX LOL!!

those two facts are true, but, the main cause for the celebration is the triumph over the french in 1862 in the french / mexican war. the true mexican independence day is in september, the 16th, i think. the cinco de mayo celebration is very important in the mexican district and city [ of the same name ] of puebla where this war was fought and won by out numbered mexican peasant forces lead by general ignacio zaragoza.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Now the new war, where the Mexican peasant forces are taking over North America without firing a shot, not bad,,not bad at all, just saying.......
sort of close to home, aye?