Cincinnati Chili: Do it the RIGHT way!

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
If you have never had the chance to try great Cincinnati style chili. Do it right...

This is the BEST place to try it. None of the chains come close to this place. Plus the second owner is still making it himself after 60 years!!!

One could get a straight truck in with relative ease. It is an old industrial area

Camp Washington Chili

Thanks me later!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
We will.....
Also, if you've been to Jungle Jim's how about explaining it to people. To me, it's a must see.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
JJs is AMAZING the first time you visit. Maybe the second too. Kind of like visiting a carnival or craft show. Very cool stuff you had NO idea that you NEEDED. But after about 5-10 times the shine wears off. But I still like going there when anywhere near Fairfield.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
M-head south of JJ's about 2 miles, at a light on your right, s/e corner, and try the Peruvian Restaurant. Very good.

Back to Chili. Which of the chains use chocolate in their Chili ?

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
M-head south of JJ's about 2 miles, at a light on your right, s/e corner, and try the Peruvian Restaurant. Very good.

I've seen that place several times. I keep saying "We should......" Them I keep driving. I will one day.

BigCat

Expert Expediter

Skyline uses chocolate. Gold star uses cinnamon.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Ya, and usually the "fans" are either or. I've only lived in OH for 12 years but I've NEVER met anyone that liked both.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But where do they get those miniature hotdogs?

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC-123.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If you have never had the chance to try great Cincinnati style chili. Do it right...

This is the BEST place to try it. None of the chains come close to this place. Plus the second owner is still making it himself after 60 years!!!

One could get a straight truck in with relative ease. It is an old industrial area

Camp Washington Chili

Thanks me later!
Is it different than Gold Star or Skyline? Hope so...those recopies are not really chilli at all. Its greek soup. No self respecting Texan would touch it,

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I prefer Gold Star to Skyline, but I like both and won't be picky when I have a hankerin' for it. I also like Camp Washington, Pleasant Ridge Chili, Blue Ash Chili, Dixie Chili, and the original, Empress, which was started in the early 1920s at a hot dog stand next to the old Empress Burlesque Theater.

Dixie Chili (Covington, Newport, Earlanger) is a little different in that it's a thicker, chunkier chili than the traditional Cincinnati Chili, but not at thick and chunky as Texas Chili, and they offer a 6-Way chili, which is a 5-way with garlic. If you like garlic, it's awesome.

Gold Star and Skyline, 30 years ago, used to stay open until 3 or 4 AM at most locations. Now they all close up at 10 or 11 PM. Pleasant Ridge is good because it's open until 4:30AM.

But Camp Washington is 24 hours and the exit ramp off I-75 dumps you right next to the place, with only a Wendy's and a pizza place between the ramp and Camp Washington Chili. Many times driving through Cincinnati I'll whip off at Hopple St and get me some. It's good stuff, Maynard.

I'm hungry now.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Turtle, that's the kind of info that makes me keep reading EO. Thanks.

Man-computer-mobile-phone-toilet.jpg

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I tried Skyline once but didn't care for it too much. I'll have to try one of those others the next time. I'm partial to James Coney Island down here, partly because my mom and I would go there every year the day after Thanksgiving after going to Foley's to see all the Christmas stuff that wasn't there the day before. It's good but not great but the memories make it the best.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Skyline and GoldStar can hardly REALLY be called chili. I kind of think of them like spaghetti with extra junk on it.
Mom's chili, which left much to be desired, was WAY better than both D & GS!!!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm in Syracuse, and I'd kill or die for a couple or three cheese coneys right now.

116164973_02ac37c69d.jpg

Omaha

Active Expediter
I think it’s a preference, I had Skyline and it had kind a cinnamon taste to it which didn’t seem right. While I didn’t care for it the others I was with loved it. Being raised in Texas and now living in the Midwest I prefer mine Hot and Spicy…..James Coney Island was good back in the day, great chili dogs. When I went home last year I swung by, not as good as it used to be…memories are sometimes best left in the past
:)