Chinese diesel heaters

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does everyone who buys these things end up having to fiddle around with them, or are they more likely to be plug and play?

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums
Mine was simple to install, besides directions in Chinese ..
YouTube helped alot ..
But , I got the All-in 1 unit for $200...shipped to my door .
Has , does and is still working properly. I have parked beside others with the Espar heater , mine was quieter , just as Warm , ran about 12 hours on a gallon of diesel fuel.
But for me $2000. Savings upfront in initial costs prove I made the right choice for me .
But ,RESEARCH, and RESEARCH some more before making a decision..

sent from my Recliner..

Reactions: Turtle

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Mine was simple to install, besides directions in Chinese ..
YouTube helped alot ..
But , I got the All-in 1 unit for $200...shipped to my door .
Has , does and is still working properly. I have parked beside others with the Espar heater , mine was quieter , just as Warm , ran about 12 hours on a gallon of diesel fuel.
But for me $2000. Savings upfront in initial costs prove I made the right choice for me .
But ,RESEARCH, and RESEARCH some more before making a decision..

sent from my Recliner..
Where do you get replacement parts from to fix your heater?

Reactions: Turtle and ntimevan

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Where do you get replacement parts from to fix your heater?
Why worry about parts? ... for $200 bucks he could get a new one :tearsofjoy:
If replacement parts "would " be needed they can easily be found on Ebay or Amazon and very affordable. Which there are Several do-it-yourself Videos on YouTube.
But at $200. you have the option of Low Cost replacement of whole unit .
I have several Expediter friends that have Espar heating units and they love them . It's to each their own. Kinda like Comparing Sprinters to Transits or Promasters. Each Owner has his/her own reason to which choice.

sent from my Recliner..

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Apparently it's been a good unit.

ntimevan, how long have you had that rice warmer?
15 months ... it had a full 1.3 gallon tank of Diesel fuel in it from last end of April 2019 . I actually remembered it while Trapping in November 2019 , so I turned on the switch and got busy and came back to work out of Van 15 minutes later and it was very Toasty. I let it burn overnight to use up remaining fuel . I have since used it a half a dozen times with "fresh " fuel. I use my Van as a project hauler , Furniture hauler and a couple Overnight trips (slept in van) . In the future I am going to take it out of Van and put it in a new Ice fishing house (that I am building) for season 2020/21 .

sent from my Recliner..

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Roughly guessing.... 90 to 100 times used in the time since I installed it November 2018 .

sent from my Recliner..

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Okay, this is what I have so far: nothing. A $200 heater requires a battery setup, although that would also power a Fantastic Fan. It also requires buying a separate fuel, although I’ve done that before with propane.

So what happens in summer? We usually go to a J or Petro to stay inside; that can mean an hour or more of additional travel at the end of a run. Air conditioning? That means a generator, whether your a/c is a good rooftop unit or a cheap window shaker.
So if you have a genny, why not use an inexpensive heater in winter?
This can be a tough choice

Reactions: fastman_1

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Okay, this is what I have so far: nothing. A $200 heater requires a battery setup, although that would also power a Fantastic Fan. It also requires buying a separate fuel, although I’ve done that before with propane.

So what happens in summer? We usually go to a J or Petro to stay inside; that can mean an hour or more of additional travel at the end of a run. Air conditioning? That means a generator, whether your a/c is a good rooftop unit or a cheap window shaker.
So if you have a genny, why not use an inexpensive heater in winter?
This can be a tough choice

I for Several years used the Big Buddy heater setup. 20 lb tank , cracked open the windows, kept warm, but not a light blanket warm while sleeping.
Tried Electric Heaters (several types) with generator running. IMO those did "Not " even take the Chill out of the air at Zero Degrees.
If "I " had known 10 years ago that the Diesel heater types work that good then I would of had more Comfortable nights sleep back then .
Being Cheap isn't always Best ..

sent from my Recliner..

Reactions: hdxpedx and Turtle

Charity's Van

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
this is my second year with a chinese heater. only issue ive had was dirt in the intake. its been a great unit.i resisted for a while because i thought i wanted a espar gasoline one that could tie into my gas tank. finally price won out. i purchased my heater nad install from reds custom design. he had done many in a promaster and was quick because of that. now that i have one i will diffenetly have one in my future vans too

Reactions: Turtle and Grizzly

CharAznable

New Recruit
Driver
I've got one in my Promaster as well that my boss had installed. I've noticed that it takes a few times kicking it on and off for the igniter to work. I thought about replacing it, maybe with a little bit bigger of one like pictured above. I'm sure almost all of these smaller rectangular ones run about the same, but I've seen much better reviews on the stand-up models. I would probably mount mine in the back of the van, though. I like being able to fill up right at the pump instead of with a can. One less thing to carry around and worry about.

Reactions: ntimevan

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've got one in my Promaster as well that my boss had installed. I've noticed that it takes a few times kicking it on and off for the igniter to work. I thought about replacing it, maybe with a little bit bigger of one like pictured above. I'm sure almost all of these smaller rectangular ones run about the same, but I've seen much better reviews on the stand-up models. I would probably mount mine in the back of the van, though. I like being able to fill up right at the pump instead of with a can. One less thing to carry around and worry about.
Or just get one that ties into your fuel tank.

Reactions: Grizzly

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's easyer to keep track of fuel usage with a separate tank for your heater.
I think its better with a fuel tank tie in because just in case you forget to fill it up and its -10* outside and its 4 am and you run out of fuel and have to go outside and freeze your arse off while I’m laying in bed cozy and sound alseep waiting for that call.

Reactions: Turtle and ntimevan