Chile Earthquake May Have Shortened Days on Earth

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, it's pretty cool!! I was looking at that. I need to look more. I wonder just how much satillite timing is going to have to be changed? It could have an effect on the accuracy of the GPS system as well as certain "DOD" overhead assests. It is very interesting.

aileron

Expert Expediter
I tend to believe that they were high on something when they said this:

"One Earth day is about 24 hours long. Over the course of a year, the length of a day normally changes gradually by one millisecond. It increases in the winter, when the Earth rotates more slowly, and decreases in the summer, Gross has said in the past."

As far as I know, when it is summer in the northern hemisphere it is wither in the southern one and viceversa. Doesn't make too much sense.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

"One Earth day is about 24 hours long. Over the course of a year, the length of a day normally changes gradually by one millisecond. It increases in the winter, when the Earth rotates more slowly, and decreases in the summer, Gross has said in the past."

As far as I know, when it is summer in the northern hemisphere it is wither in the southern one and viceversa. Doesn't make too much sense.

They don't have to make sense, they are "experts". They know more than we do. Just ask them.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

Since we are not brainiacs..it might have something to do with the balance and center of gravity for the earths revolution....the colder top side might throw it out of whack or something...hence the time distortion...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Since we are not brainiacs..it might have something to do with the balance and center of gravity for the earths revolution....the colder top side might throw it out of whack or something...hence the time distortion...

Summer or winter in which hemesphere? I think that was the question. That artical was poorly written at best.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Summer or winter in which hemesphere? I think that was the question. That artical was poorly written at best.

Agreed about the writing..I think the reporter may have just edited something and incorrectly only wrote half the story...

you know how reporters are these days...all drama, no substance...:eek:

moose

Veteran Expediter
. Doesn't make too much sense.

It is because ,that's when all the Oldy Yorkers go down to Florida ,that's change the center of gravity , and the earth is not parallel to the sun , and that's why the southern ice cup is larger then the Yankee's one...

i have also noticed that all of my loads from Cali. to the east coast are heavy up to gross ,
and almost all of the loads i pick up in the east going back west ,are very light .
now if i do it enough time's , the whole Atlantic coast will sink under water , which is good 'couse that's include WashingtonDC...