Chevy with throttle body prob. Am I the only one?

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
We had to put the truck in the shop this weekend cuz the van let us down. The check engine light came on and then the van started stalling out with a reduced power message. We let it set for a short time and restarted it. Everything was okay so we made our delivery about 20 miles away. Then on the way to CinC we had it happen again. So we put the van in the shop at McCluskeys Chevy. They found that the throttle body needed replaced. They said that after 90K miles the throttle valve builds up with carbon quits working properly. I guess there are two throttle bodies and they get a build up and get out of sinc. We bought our van six months ago and have 91K miles on it. Luckly this repair was under warranty. They even covered part of our rental car. Anyone else have this problem. They made is sound like we would see it about every 90K miles more or less. Weird stuff. We have a 2010 Chevy with the 6.0. They also said fuel supplements would not make a difference. Ideas?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm guessing it was a parts failure rather than carbon related. It makes it easier to sell a throttle body cleaning in the future. 340k on mine without that issue. YMMV.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well fuel supplements won't help, no fuel touches it. The buildup could be from the EGR/PVC system or dirt. There are issues with the air flow sensor, which may be part of the tb and there are cleaners for that, but it will have to be taken off or at least the intake hose removed.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well fuel supplements won't help, no fuel touches it. The buildup could be from the EGR/PVC system or dirt. There are issues with the air flow sensor, which may be part of the tb and there are cleaners for that, but it will have to be taken off or at least the intake hose removed.

Guess I will have to add that to my PM every 6 months or so. There is always something to do.