Chevy Van, anyone ever have this problem?

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
As a last resort I'm posting here, have searched everywhere else to no avail.
2002 G3500 Chevy Van.
Problem: Dome light will not activate when any of the doors are opened,

but,,,,dome light will come on if I use the vertical rolling switch on the headlight switch.

Am aware of the dome light override switch, have tried it in all positions, still will not work.
Any answer, greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My 03 Has a Button to push for the over ride it's next to the Head Light Switch. Had a 2000 Safari Van that had a button also but that one you had to turn on and off 3 times before it would switch to whatever.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The switch sometimes goes bad, I had to replace the one I had to get the dome lights to work. The switch started to act flaky and i would push it in and out a few times, then it just stopped working completely.

If you can afford a new one, get it, or you may be taking a chance with a used one that may not last.
The alternative is to take the thing out and put a jumper on the switch to bypass it, but i can't tell you how to do that unless I had one with me.

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Thanks Gregg, figured I would have to go that route but was hoping it may be something minor. One thing I noticed a long time ago is that these vans to not have the typical spring loaded swtich on the door frame that allows the door to light, matter of fact don't recall seeing them on any of our cars, will look tomorrow. Now that they have replaed the switches with another technology, what is it, some type of ground or?

tr

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Gregg, just dawned on me today have not seen post from you lately, glad to see your back.
Where have you been? Anyway thanks for the response.

TR

greg334

Veteran Expediter
According to someone else, I've been failing as an expediter. :p

Well I looked for my big workshop manuals for the G series van and think I lent them out. I was going to look at the wiring diagram to see if it is simple two contact switch that can be bypassed or if it is another over engineered convoluted GM switching circuit.