Cheers for FedEx CC

RobA

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
It looks like FedEx Custom Critical is the carrier of choice for the hurricane relief efforts. I just saw pictures taken late yesterday at the Superdome and there was a large line of FedEx CC trucks outside.
Well done!

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Hello I saw on our local news here in Jax,Fl and on fox news that Landstar has been picked to move most of the Equiptment,Food and medical supplies,Now i'm sure they will involve other companies as well.This was done through FEMA the Ceo of landstar said....

Just 2 cents worth please....

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
LEAM & Landstar is the FEMA carrier of choice- however, I have heard that as of yesterday, there were no plans of yet. There are about 600 Landstar Ranger trucks positioned to be in the area. I don't think FEMA has given the word or organized things yet. The question is, why is FEMA moving so slowly?? Guess they thought Katrina may just blow over, or were hoping for that. But: everyone knew by late last week that this could be a monster and devastate New Orleans- looks like gov. is sitting on its hands... People are sitting down there admidst corpses and filth. Like Chrys said on another post- it wouldn't be so bad there if relief started pouring in. From trucks to Coast Guard boats if necessary. I'm ready to go right now from Richmond

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Just about any government approved carrier is in the "zone" somewhere. U.S. Express, Landstar, Panther, Fedex, they are all operating down in that region. There are many, many others as well. Memphis and Jackson, MS are becoming major staging areas for shipments down to the gulf region.

Davekc

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Having years ago served as an Infantry officer in a National Guard light infantry battalion, and having been mobilized three times for duty (one lost child search, two civil disturbances - one of which kept us on duty for a few weeks), it pains me to see bureaucrats and politicians fumbling around in a disaster where generals are better trained and equipped to provide the leadership.

Back in the day, as with Guard units today, our unit could mobilize within 24 hours. We were self-sufficient for a number of days without resupply and for years - if need be - with supply lines established. We'd call our troops from their homes and jobs. They'd report ASAP ready to go to work. When the mobilization order went out, the armories in our battalion resembled fire departments responding to an alarm.

Our weapons, equipment, and vehicles would be deployed as quickly as the soldiers arrived to use them. Operations orders were quickly drafted and issued down to the lowest-ranking private. We'd have a thousand men ready to roll with food, water, fuel, communications, weapons, ammunition, medics and medical support, and everything else required to field a battalion without additional support. Soon after, the support brigades would send in their resources as appropriate to the mission. Those resources would be attached to (placed under the command of) the small unit or large unit commanders as appropriate. For example, if it was a rescue mission a team of medics would be attached to a forward unit. If it was a large scale civil disturbance, hundreds of MPs might be placed under a general’s command and deployed as that general deemed appropriate.

Infantry squads and platoons patrolling the ground had the communications and training to clear a landing zone and call in helicopter support if need be. If necessary, the grunts could pack food and water in on their back or conduct house-to-house operations.

Immediately upon mobilization, certain officers and NCOs began their IPB (Intelligence Preparation of the Battlefield) so commanders and troops would have as much information from the chaos to deal with as possible.

Every piece if information was significant and processed. You would not have bureaucrats worried about how they look or being concerned that information was coming from the correct sources, or complaining about the lack of communications. Soldiers conduct patrols. If an officer wants to know what’s up in an area, He’d simply dispatch recon patrols with radios to the area and they’d report back. We trained over and over and over again to operate in strange areas and in total darkness in all types of terrain, including urban terrain.

U.S. troops know how to get around where other people cannot. You'd have soldiers feeding info up from all sources and that info briefed to the commanders. If word came up from any source (like CNN, or a refugee walking the streets) that people were trapped in attics or that hoodlums were preying on victims on the ground, forces could be immediately requested and deployed as the commanders deemed appropriate. I could go on, but you get the idea.

Generals are mission-focused and decisive. They have the power and resources to get the job done. They are trained to and in many cases are experienced in operating in the fog (chaos) of war. They are less likely than bureaucrats and politicians to worry about how their actions will play out on the news. They are unlikely to be overwhelmed by the circumstances. And they are far more likely to get the job done.

Frankly, FEMA, other bureaucrats, and the politicians are out of their league. It was evident days ago that the scope of the disaster required a full-fledged military response and perhaps martial law (and it would suit me just fine if shoot-to-kill orders were issued regarding predator gangs).

The failure to mobilize military resources earlier added untold suffering and death to an already terrible situation. It's a failure that will haunt the culpable politicians and bureaucrats 'til the day they die, as well it should.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Like Chrys
>said on another post- it wouldn't be so bad there if relief
>started pouring in. From trucks to Coast Guard boats if
>necessary. I'm ready to go right now from Richmond

So are my wife and me. We've been in and out of the area once on a run, as have some of our FedEx CC friends and I'm sure other expediters too. Our load was computers and office equipment for insurance adjusters that will fan out and work with their policy holders.). Along the way we bought $50 worth of bottled water to give to anyone we might meet that might need it.

We were immediately dispatched out of the area on a non-disaster load so I left the water with the agents telling them to share it with whoever might need it. My guess is they'll drink it all themselves as their company made no lodging provisions for them, let alone water when they are out working. It wa a small thing but it felt good to do something at least. If we get dispatched back into the area we'll go in with water again, this time $100 worth (about the amount that will fit on a single hand-truck load).

When you think about it, an expediter truck is a survival vehicle in itself. It supports a driver or team in all sorts of weather and locations. A reefer truck with a generator could be especially useful in a disaster area. Many are deployed by carriers exactly that way.

I'm certain most expediters, as individuals, have thought of ways to use their truck and equipment to help out. The temptation is strong to go out of service and simply load the truck with bottled water to give away, or to do some other good deed, and drive into the mess.

But that would not be wise. You'd be tagged as a renegade volunteer by the powers that be, and you could find yourself in a situation that is more dangerous than you bargained for. It's best to plug into an existing volunteer organization and offer your truck and services through them if you are so inclined. Cash contributions to credible relief agencies are also a wise way to help.

I'm sure someone out there is organizing volunteer trucks for one purpose or another. I know of no one now, but if anyone does, this would be a good place to share the info.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
>
>When you think about it, an expediter truck is a survival
>vehicle in itself. It supports a driver or team in all sorts
>of weather and locations. A reefer truck with a generator
>could be especially useful in a disaster area. >

>I'm certain most expediters, as individuals, have thought of
>ways to use their truck and equipment to help out.

That's a good point there ATeam, ... I've noticed in most disasters, Truckers, be it OTR or Expedited, are usually some of the first to respond.

In fact, I remember when one of the hurricanes hit Florida, a certain moderator parking his truck in his driveway, and allowing some of his neighbors to plug in to his generator, while the power was out.. (yep, it was Dave)

That's the spirit that makes a difference.

Dreamer
Forums Administrator
Expediters Online

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
We were one of those trucks in downtown NO Wed.One of the FEMA people had been shot at a few hours earlier.

Our second load into the area was aborted because of the violence. Part of our load was taken off (Med Supplies)and loaded onto military hellicopters.

One of the Doctors we were working with cried when he learned on his cell phone Fed money would not be coming down until Sept 8.

The state of LA Health dept topped off our tanks when we left,free of charge.We are very grateful. The first truck stop we came to is out of fuel.(Loves I 10X151).

snipervictim

Expert Expediter
well thanks for the heads -up i was thinking about going down there with a few grills and some pancake mix ,but i guess i better call someone first .

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Well you know i hate to say it but the storms that hit LA,MS and AL,Maybe the help that the Expediters need to start making money again with all the loads of supplies that will be needed.I hate it may have took something like this to do it,But it maybe the shot in the arm for everyone no matter who you drive for....