checking it out

cliff

Seasoned Expediter
wife and I are 53' OTR drivers (10 yrs.) tired of the 24/7 rush, looking to slow the pace. Both over the 60 yr. mrk. and hope that expedited freight driving will do this. Will it?
Since we're unsure of this part of the industry, thought we'd try driving for someone first. Any thoughts? Hints?
From the Seattle area and heard getting home could be tough. This right?
Any reasonable help and guidance would be appreciated

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
If you're looking for a slower pace, right now seems to be the time, especially if you have a van.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
don't understand, what do you mean by more hectic?

Well think of it this way, you are in a hurry to get somewhere to wait.

Seriously.

It is what you would consider ad hoc on-demand freight (yes I did use those together). It is where you are in a position of being lucky to get an offer by being in the right place at the right time that the carrier may capture something that needs to be moved as soon as possible - sometimes yesterday.

Some people keep using the "emergency freight" term but I think a majority of the work seems to be more or less "we forgot this and it has to get out of here" or "it needs to be there but it will not stop the show if it is there by 4PM tomorrow".

Most of the work is hurry up and get it there because the carrier promised. Other times it is well who cares, just get it there.

sparkle8859

Seasoned Expediter
Cliff, my husband and I did 53' for 10 years also.We have been in a straight truck for a year now,and LOVE IT!!! Every payday we say "What were we thinking?" The room in this thing is outrageous! No more taking dishes in to wash them.Over the first 6 months we averaged 1600 miles. Now that is including our home time.We go out 6 weeks come in for 6 days. Also there was a learning curve so I'm expecting for it to be better the next 6 months. It's a culture shock when you first start. we were used to doing 6000 miles a week and dropped considerably. We are lazy so we love it. But don't expect to do that many miles out here.Working for someone else is a very good idea! Thats what were doing,making our mistakes without a truck payment.Also ALWAYS GET A CONTRACT! The horror stories will scare you.It's not for everyone but if you like it you'll never go back.