"Cheaper" Generator alternative....?

Aviator

Expert Expediter
I am driving one of Dads trucks while on leave from the Army, and this one does not have a generator like my old one. It got me to thinking the other night when it got a little cold.

What would the problems be with picking up one of the cheaper Honda generators like the EU2000

It generates 2000 watts. From what I understand, it runs a alternator, then has a built in inverter for clean power. Since it just runs an alternator, it is much quieter and more efficient. It has both AC and DC outlets. It runs at 53 db so its about as loud as a normal conversation. At full load it's 1.1 gallon tank will run it for 4 hours. At 1/4 load for 15 hours. It weighs less than 50 lbs.

Here is my suggestion. Why not buy or build a box like an AUX generator or something else has, mount the Honda inside, and run the DC side through a battery coinditioner or whatever you would call it, run the AC into the sleeper to the AC outlets in the sleeper.

Now you have quiet cheap 110 power full time without idling. For heat, you could pick up one of those ceremic heaters in the 1500 watt range that has a built in thermostat that turn it on and off at a preset temp. I had one of those in the "Super B" that I built, and 2 deep cycle batts and an inverter would run that for 6 hours and keep it toasty in the sleeper. With the generator running, charging the truck batteries all night, I doubt it would put much more than a 1/2 load or so on the generator. You would have heat in the sleeper for the cost of 1 gallon unleaded. The EU2000 cost less than $900.

If a person took the time to run the wiring right, and did a professional job of it I am thinking this would be a pretty sweet solution.

I am still thinking about the AC. Give me some time on that :)

Links for the stuff explained :

Generator
http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/ModelDetail.asp?ModelName=eu2000i

Ceremic Heater from Wal Mart for under $30
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4122233

Battery Conditioner
http://www.batteryweb.com/batteryminder.cfm

What say you?
Aviator

Aviator

Expert Expediter
RE: "Cheaper" Gen alternative?

I just noticed the Honda Eu3000 Generators are right around $1,000. Holds more fuel (4.4 gallons) and has a key start that could be re-wired to be installed in the sleeper.

Aviator

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
RE:

It would work if you could isolate it in a box like you mentioned. Places would seem limited on a van. For other class 7 or 8 trucks, using a gas generator isn't always practical.

The other issue would be the amount of use. Smaller units are not always that durable for long day after day usage. Not sure on the unit in your post? Most of the cheaper models are not designed for the application you are referencing.

I would run it for extended periods prior to any truck mounting. If it is not designed for this, it could be a major fire hazard. I would review the wiring as well to make sure it will carry the load of a heater ect. without any problems.
Again, I would be careful.

Just an observation

Davekc

Aviator

Expert Expediter
Wiring

Well, if I am gonna spend 1k or so on it, I am not gonna just hang an extension cord out of the generator box into the sleeper ;) I am talking running romex with the steel flex tubing to run the romex through. If you are gonna do it, I would not do it half way. You would certainly want to do a professional job.

As far as the generators go, anything Honda I have ever owned, outlasted whatever the purpose I bought it for :)

As for practicality, well I imagine most people have room in the tool boxes for a one gallon fuel can for gas. A lot of things expeditors do are not the most practical, just a good mix of practical and inexpensive.

Just clarifying.

Aviator

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
RE: Wiring

Well, if I am gonna spend 1k or so on it, I am not gonna just hang an extension cord out of the generator box into the sleeper I am talking running romex with the steel flex tubing to run the romex through. If you are gonna do it, I would not do it half way. You would certainly want to do a professional job.

Thats good. I wasn't sure. I have seen some real crazy setups that would have me nervous. Your right, that hanging lamp cord is a scary one.

Davekc

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
I've quite a few of this system on tractors since the price of diesel went up. spoke to a couple of them and learned the following. Both drivers reported excess heat build up or at least they thought it was. one driver installed a small electric fan on his and the other one replaced the the door on the cover with expanded metal so it could breath. ( both units were mounted in boxes on the side) Both drivers ran a standard small window mount a/c unit mounted in back of sleeper and ran power inside the truck though romex and flexible conduit to a small houshold type breaker box and then to a power strip. I am waiting to see what people say about the ThermoKing generator but will probably do this as it is much less expensive.
( also both drivers said to keep the gas can out of site as some DOT officers see this as an invitation to inspection)

Saw you at UPS Louisville the other day,
Thanks for your service to our Country

Greg

Gener8

Expert Expediter
RE:

ON this subject I feel real confident that I can add some input. I have an onan 2.8k microlite generator mounted under the van where the spare tire used to be.( it does not hang as low as the spare tire.) It runs an ac unit, rv roof type. It also handles a ceramic heater just fine plus I can plug in the engine heater. It handles anything just fine. Proper electrical work is a must. The spare tire is now under my bunk. Any questions just let me know.:)

G

RE:

I have the exact system you propose, Honda EU2000i and a ceramic heater. First, this generator is air cooled, so any type of enclosure is a problem. The generator is so compact, though, I just set it on the ground next to my truck when I am using it and have a large cable lock I use to secure it to the truck. When I am not using it I put it in my toolbox. As for the battery minder, it is really not necessary, since you are not using your batteries if you are using the generator. The EU2000i has has optional battery charging cables, so if you ever do run your batteries down so that your truck won't start, you can charge them up using the cables on the generator. I have needed to do this only one time.

As for the EU3000, I would stay away from it. It is much heavier than the EU2000i and is not portable. You can, however, hook up two EU2000i generators using a Honda adaptor and get 4000 watts. I haven't needed more than 2000 watts, though.

The EU2000i is also great for running the engine block heater.

As for durability, I can't say enough good about the EU2000i, it is just an amazing piece of engineering when you consider its durability, power output, weight, noise, size and versatility.

Mayberry's is the best place I have found for buying the EU2000i. $859 total price, which includes shipping. Get the battery charging cables and the fitted cover for the unit when you order.

The EU2000i holds about a gallon of fuel, which will run a ceramic heater with a good thermostat for 8-12 hours. One trick that works well is to run the truck heater on high before turning off the truck so that the truck interior is warm to start with before you turn on the ceramic heater.

I carry my gas in a five gallon DOT approved safety can, which eliminates the Barney Fife/DOT factor, or at least reduces it a lot. http://www.omarksafety.com/category..._Type_II_Red_Safety_Gas_Can__DOT_Approved.cfm

I use Royal Purple synthetic oil in my generator. I consider it the best, and even at $6.00 a quart the generator just uses half a quart, so this is a small expense.

As for durability, when I bought the Honda I figured I would run it hard and just see what happened. I routinely run it for 10 hours at a time. It rides in the bouncy toolbox on the truck. After six months I have had no problems, which doesn't surprise me.

You will not be disappointed with this setup. I am very happy with mine. The one thing you will have to deal with, though, is everyone will want to talk to you about it every time you get the generator out, so plan for this.

TheGoodGuy

Expert Expediter
RE:

I went the gasoline generator route on our "D" unit. 4500w Genrac, installed in an underbelly box. My local mechanic installed it in the box, they also performed all the wiring. A panel was installed under the dashboard to start it, on the panel also was a choke, and a switch that activated a fan to ventilate the box.

There was a 110 outlet in the cab. The block heater wiring was rerouted into the generator box. The built in battery charger was to weak to charge a bank of three battery's, so a battery charger was also in the box.

The total installation came to around $2400.00, including the generator.

Unfortunately, it was THE poorest overall investment we made in the truck. It had major ventilation problems, the generator was never that reliable, It was in the shop twice, and it caught on fire once.

I will NEVER EVER use another gasoline generator in that type of application.

We live and learn..:-( :-(

God Bless America

Aviator

Expert Expediter
RE:

>I will NEVER EVER use another gasoline generator in that
>type of application.
>

Was is one of the Honda ones I was talking about?

Aviator

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I had a similiar set up a few years back. Was a Yamaha 3500 watt generator. I had it mounted inside of a tool box. The biggest issue was air flow. (OVERHEATING) I modified the tool box where the two ends had doors on them that opened. And installed to large automotive electric fans. One as a pusher and one as a puller. I also cut out and installed two house type roof vents in the top of the box. And with the front door open it did fine. I installed a 15 gallon marine gas tank inside the toolbox. And did away with the stock tank. I had to run the gas to the carb using a 2lb electric fuel pump. I ran sythetic oil in the generator. I also cut off the stock muffler and had a custom bent exhaust and muffler made for it to get the exhaust away from the truck. It was fairly inexpensive. As I did all the work myself. Never had any probelms with it. But to be quite honest. It was a pain getting gas for it,opening all the doors and vents etc. Also I was never completely comfortable with the potential fire hazard. I would say if your going to go this route. From a safety stand point. Go with the portable Honda unit and just sit it out behind the truck. Just make yourself a heavy amp cord to run to the truck. The small Honda unit is a good generator & very quiet.