Cheap phone ?

rjrrob

Seasoned Expediter
Anybody got the magic jack for there lap top . Does it work good on the flying j internet . Im intersested in buying one for callin home if it works good and dont eat up my internet time fast . Anybody know

ds1450

Expert Expediter
Your best bet is a $50 pre paid cell from Verizon or Sprint. These have free nights and weekends. Cheaper, better coverage and you need one anyway if you are a driver. Or just add an everything plan to your current cell. I pay $100 per month for 2 phones and free nights and weekends and free text. Can't beat it.

rjrrob

Seasoned Expediter
i got a cell phone . like to talk to home when i am sitting . thought the majic jack sounded like a good deal for $20 a year for unlimited calling . thought mabee someone else had one and would let me know how it worked . thanks for the reply . :)

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
i got a cell phone . like to talk to home when i am sitting . thought the majic jack sounded like a good deal for $20 a year for unlimited calling . thought mabee someone else had one and would let me know how it worked . thanks for the reply . :)

I have one, don't ever use it. Except maybe when my cell phone doesn't work, but haven't had that problem yet.

I bought two of them, tried it out on dsl at home. Its pretty good. Don't expect the best audio quality, but for what it was made for, it works. I like trying the new gadgets that come out and see if they have improved on these things. The only thing is, you do need a connection that is constant and with flying j connection, its hard to say when you will lose the connection, especially if they are still using the old a/b standard which a lot of them are doing so still.

rjrrob

Seasoned Expediter
thanks for the reply . for the price i guess its worth trying it out . even if i get a loss signal at j i can always call back

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
thanks for the reply . for the price i guess its worth trying it out . even if i get a loss signal at j i can always call back

Was going to purchase one of these for home. Did a little research and decided against it. Most info I found was negative. Type Magic Jack into your toolbar and a lot of info comes up on it. Unfortunately, most is bad, ranging from reception, defective, to customer service. Very few good comments. Of course this could be the result of people being much more likely to post a bad experience then a good experience. Guess that is just the nature of the human. Anyway, if you decide to purchase and try the Magic Jack let us know what you think. :D

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
I don't know if it would be possible to make this work.. ??
You know how places like 'Vonage' for example, sell residential phone service via 'voip' (voice over internet protocol), which is aka 'internet phone'.. meaning it is not a landline, but works off your internet connection.
I know someone who has been using it for over a year now, as their sole home phone line. The only issue is that in case of emergency, you should have a backup cellphone or something, since if your internet connection goes down or your electricity goes out, you have no phone service. This isn't an issue since these things rarely happen, and most people have cells anyway.

Anyway, the voip phoneline is a good half the price of a regular landline (at least it is here), and includes all features (call display, voicemail, call waiting, etc), as well as unlimited north american calling. Another cool thing about it is that you can control things from signing into your account on the computer, like you can block unwanted callers, block marketing calls, make certain ones go directly to voicemail without ever ringing, and you can listen to messages online, as well as save them and email them to someone else if you wanted to.

Apparently you can also take your 'phone' with you whenever you travel too, and the calls you make while away, are as if you were at home.. free.

Would this type of thing work with a laptop connected to the internet, while in a truck? It's a 'router', so if you have an electrical outlet, an internet connected laptop, and a phone.. is there any reason why this couldn't work? It would be a heckuva lot cheaper than paying the exorbitant cellphone fees if it could work.

rjrrob

Seasoned Expediter
Was going to purchase one of these for home. Did a little research and decided against it. Most info I found was negative. Type Magic Jack into your toolbar and a lot of info comes up on it. Unfortunately, most is bad, ranging from reception, defective, to customer service. Very few good comments. Of course this could be the result of people being much more likely to post a bad experience then a good experience. Guess that is just the nature of the human. Anyway, if you decide to purchase and try the Magic Jack let us know what you think. :D

i went to wamart and got one . followed the simple instructions but no luck . try the other usb ports like it said but same thing . went back tried 2 more talked to tech support still couldnt get it to work . i decided to give up . tried other things in my usb to make shure it was working and its ok . mabee i have them send me one and see if it works .

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
i actually have been thinking about using this in conjunction with the wireless broadband we have,Why the hell would you do something that screwy? because at 10-20 bucks a year, it would be cheaper a year then the text messages (no texting package with a modem line) I send to the wifes cell phone

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Biggest problem with trying it on the road is the internet connections can be very iffy - I'd still need the cell to feel sure I don't miss anything.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I give two thumbs up to the magic jack. Mine is at home on a solid connection. I have had virtually no problems with it at all. People I talk to have said they can tell no difference between it and a normal phone when I am talking to them on it. I do think a good fast connection is important for it to work well.