Changing companies?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
I was thinking about putting this in the Truck Talk forum but thought it would work here as well. The vast majority of drivers will switch carriers at some point in their career and a big issue is the leftover remains if the previous company's logos and lettering. I think it looks pretty bad when you see a ST or CV with the dirt stuck on the old adhesive and looks unprofessional. My wife is home cleaning up our old van to sell it and found this product from Turtle Wax at Wal-Mart for $4.88. She said it took almost no effort and it smells like citrus so fumes aren't an issue. You just spray it on and let it work for a little while, then wipe it off. I'm not sure how it compares to Goof Off since I wasn't home to use it but it sounds like a great product.

1393122796709.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I don't think I would call it unprofessional as I think cleaning the paint on the chassis is much easier then cleaning it on the freight boxes..Proplely due to quality of paint used by the assembly plants vs the box manufactures. I think the paint on your truck door is a better paint and also sealed better then the freight boxes. With mine the only image left behind is on my back doors and when clean it takes a second glance to see it..When the doors are dirty its there..Cheaper vinly maybe also a proplem causing it to bleed into the paint??? But being 13 ft in the air Im thinking it just maybe there untill it fades away..I really feel for the folks that try to get that BIG black cat off the side of their boxes,That looks like work.

fatboy1

Veteran Expediter
Hey what does turtle wax call it couldn't get pic to come in clear. A driver told me to use oven cleaner not wanting to do that. The trk we got has some old panther mess on it thanks.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Hey what does turtle wax call it couldn't get pic to come in clear. A driver told me to use oven cleaner not wanting to do that. The trk we got has some old panther mess on it thanks.

As Slo-Ride said it is called Turtle Wax Label and Sticker Remover. I thought it would be a nightmare to get the residue off from the old vinyl because I had already started on one side myself. I bet you could spray it on and use a push broom to scrub it off on the high areas. A quick rinse off and it should look pretty good.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I've never understood, maybe because I never asked the question, what actually happens with decals on the vehicle.

Is the paint under the decal protected from weathering ? So what we see is the damaged paint next to where the vinyl was ?
Or a chemical reaction ?

I know sometimes a poor removal leaves glue residue that attracts dirt.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Oxidation and road chemical damage of all the non covered paint. And yes, glue residue left behind attracts dirt like crazy.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Oxidation and road chemical damage of all the non covered paint. And yes, glue residue left behind attracts dirt like crazy.

If that's the case, avoiding the acid water of Blue Beacon, and waxing on manageable vehicles will minimize the shadowing, I would think.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The Turtle Wax is good, any kind of GooGone, goop, 3M, will work. Just heat the lettering and peel, then use an adhesive remover to remove the adhesive, then a good degreaser to clean it up.

For adhesive remover I use the Sprayway 894, and for cleanup (and more serious adhesive removal) Heavy Duty Orange Power Plus Degreaser, since they're the same stuff RV places and detailers use. I use a lot of other Sprayway products, as well, like glass cleaner, hand wipes, for the same reason. The Crazy Clean is all that and a bag o chips.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
If that's the case, avoiding the acid water of Blue Beacon, and waxing on manageable vehicles will minimize the shadowing, I would think.

I used to buy up used trailers and straights on occasion, in addition to new ones. After stripping the old decals I used to get an "acid bath" done at Viking Truck & Trailer in Dayton. I think it did a good job of stripping road grime and decal glue residue. Then I had the trailers/str8s logo'd with our lettering. When lettering costs $800-$850 you can't take chances with them flying back off. I only lost 2 or 3 letters on the 20-25 used trailers and straights I bought.