Changes Needed at Harvard, MIT and U of PA

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The president of Harvard has indeed been involved in a similar situation before, when students were "afraid". It seems students were fearful due to the perfectly legal actions by one of the faculty members who briefly represented Harvey Weinstein.

"When she was Dean of the faculty, she fired Ron Sullivan, who was Dean of one of the colleges..."

Dershowitz: Harvard's President 'Has to Leave' 'By Her Own Standards' She Used Against a Dean in the Past
When I said "nothing like this has happened to them before," I was referring to the instantaneous, bi-partisan, and massive condemnation they received from highly educated and non-highly educated people alike, after uttering their wrong-headed remarks.

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When I said "nothing like this has happened to them before," I was referring to the instantaneous, bi-partisan, and massive condemnation they received from highly educated and non-highly educated people alike, after uttering their wrong-headed remarks.
Agreed; but my reference was to the situation Gay had previously been involved with, not the response - which I'm sure is a first for her and the other academic prima donnas. That said, it's highly unlikely that Harvard is going to fire their black, female president unless some mega-donors start pulling $100 Million endowments as was the case with UPenn. Nothing gets the attention of these large, elite universities like the almighty dollar.

Reactions: muttly

ATeam

Retired Expediter
That said, it's highly unlikely that Harvard is going to fire their black, female president unless some mega-donors start pulling $100 Million endowments as was the case with UPenn. Nothing gets the attention of these large, elite universities like the almighty dollar.
Stefanik is continuing the pressure and bringing the demanded resignations into focus. The other two may yet resign. MIT recently affirmed their president, but if pressure mounts ...

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The Choice May Not Belong to Dr. Gay

Harvard president Gay has apologized for her "depends on context" remarks but has not resigned. The Harvard governing bodies that can fire her met Sunday for a regularly scheduled meeting. No word yet about a decision one way or another.

It is noteworthy that the governing bodies, the Harvard Corporation and the Board of Overseers, have not immediately come out in support of their university president. Notwithstanding the Gay supportive petition from hundreds of faculty members, there are some very prominent Harvard people calling for her ouster.

"A Harvard spokesperson did not respond to multiple requests for comment on Saturday about whether Pritzker and the Harvard Corporation still have confidence in Gay.

"The silence from the Corporation stands in stark contrast to the responses from MIT and the University of Pennsylvania following the hearing.

"Members of the University of Pennsylvania’s Board of Trustees pressured Magill to resign, as the board held an emergency meeting Thursday to discuss Magill’s tenure.

"Meanwhile, the executive committee of the MIT Corporation — the school’s governing board — released a statement Thursday evening declaring their “full and unreserved support” for Kornbluth.

"At Harvard — nothing."
(Source)

Last edited:
Reactions: Pilgrim

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Petitions and Letters for and Against the University Presidents

The question of the resignation of the two university presidents who have not resigned is not going away. This question has legs.

Taking out Magill and Gay would be a start in the right direction, but this letter of support signed by 511 Harvard faculty members is a good indicator of the deeper problem that exists within campuses all over the country. The core problem is the woke, elitist professors that promote false notions and unrealistic ideas to young minds that are vulnerable to vile antisemitic propaganda, and especially the more recent D.E.I. programming.

"Firing a few presidents sends a nice signal, but nothing is going to change on campus until universities start closing mediocre politicized departments and laying off the radical faculty that generated this antisemitic malignancy."

ATeam

Retired Expediter
The core problem is the woke, elitist professors that promote false notions and unrealistic ideas to young minds that are vulnerable to vile antisemitic propaganda, and especially the more recent D.E.I. programming.
What would you have them teach instead?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The optimum solution would be firing and blacklisting the 92% of education employees at all levels who are leftist narcissists.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Is she even qualified to be president of Harvard?

Reactions: Pilgrim

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Harvard and MIT Bodies Stand by Their University Presidents

This is a disappointment. I continue to believe all three of those university presidents should resign, not just one. I hope this not the end of the story but just an unwelcome chapter on the way toward three resignations. I hope that backlash continues to build and the presidents of MIT and Harvard are fired.

As Pilgrim suggested, this is bigger than the resignations of three presidents, but the resignations would be important just the same.

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Harvard and MIT Bodies Stand by Their University Presidents

This is a disappointment. I continue to believe all three of those university presidents should resign, not just one. I hope this not the end of the story but just an unwelcome chapter on the way toward three resignations. I hope that backlash continues to build and the presidents of MIT and Harvard are fired.

As Pilgrim suggested, this is bigger than the resignations of three presidents, but the resignations would be important just the same.

Now would be a good time for Congress to introduce a bipartisan bill to withhold federal funds from colleges that tolerate or support students, faculty and organizations that demonstrate threatening antisemitic behavior. The administration and faculty have the attitude that the unwashed masses have no say in how they operate, so they should be able to do without taxpayers' dollars.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Now would be a good time for Congress to introduce a bipartisan bill to withhold federal funds from colleges that tolerate or support students, faculty and organizations that demonstrate threatening antisemitic behavior. The administration and faculty have the attitude that the unwashed masses have no say in how they operate, so they should be able to do without taxpayers' dollars.
That may solve one problem but create others. Some of the federal funding that goes to these universities funds research that has important national defense implications, supports businesses, supports desirable medical and scientific breakthroughs, etc. It's easy to propose funding cuts as a solution to one problem when you ignore the consequences of those cuts in other domains.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The cost of doing the right thing. The funding cuts should include a provision of never receiving any funding in the future as well. With rare exceptions the boards will suddenly, miraculously decide to do the right thing and individuals will be summarily dismissed.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That may solve one problem but create others. Some of the federal funding that goes to these universities funds research that has important national defense implications, supports businesses, supports desirable medical and scientific breakthroughs, etc. It's easy to propose funding cuts as a solution to one problem when you ignore the consequences of those cuts in other domains.
Federal funding cuts can be targeted; here's a good place to start.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Is she even qualified to be president of Harvard?
Just to expand on this, here's some more evidence of plagiarism and violations of Harvard academic integrity policies by Harvard president Gay. She's got a long history of doing this, so one would think somebody should have noticed - but apparently she's special, or maybe they all do it and just look the other way. This sounds eerily similar to Washington politicians.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The uproar over antisemitism at Harvard must have finally reached the limit of tolerance for the major donors. In a rare instance of real world justice at an academic institution, Claudine Gay was forced to resign, serving only six months as president of the college. Of course she played the race card on her way out the door and expressed no regret for her contemptable antisemitism or her prolific plagiarism. Maybe now Harvard will select the most qualified candidate for the position, rather than one who checks DEI boxes. Good riddance.