Changes Needed at Harvard, MIT and U of PA

ATeam

Retired Expediter
In a recent congressional hearing, Representative Stefanik asked the presidents of Harvard, MIT and the University of PA if "... calling for the genocide of Jews violate [your university’s] code of conduct or rules regarding bullying or harassment?"

I was surprised to see none of them reply with the easy and true "yes" answer to this question. Their answer should have been, "Yes, absolutely. Yes, of course, calling for the genocide of Jews violates our code of conduct or rules regarding bullying or harassment."

Their "depends on the context" answers have outraged many Americans and calls are being made for them to resign.

I agree they should resign, but that should not be the end of it. I'm no fan of Stefanik, but her clear and persistent question may serve as a much-needed wake-up call that will prompt a new conversation about the norms and values now operative in these institutions.

On what planet would it be right in any way, in any context, to call for the genocide of Jews?

Like, duh!

Last edited:
Reactions: Pilgrim

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Ok, remember, if you are a whoseit, you can do what you want ................
Trump said something like that.

"Trump described his attempt to seduce a married woman and indicated he might start kissing a woman that he and Bush were about to meet. He added, 'I don't even wait. And when you're a star, they let you do it. You can do anything. ... Grab 'em by the pussy. You can do anything.'"
(Source)

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In a recent congressional hearing, Representative Stefanik asked the presidents of Harvard, MIT and the University of PA if "... calling for the genocide of Jews violate [your university’s] code of conduct or rules regarding bullying or harassment?"

I was surprised to see none of them reply with the easy and true "yes" answer to this question. Their answer should have been, "Yes, absolutely. Yes, of course, calling for the genocide of Jews violates our code of conduct or rules regarding bullying or harassment."

Their "depends on the context" answers have outraged many Americans and calls are being made for them to resign.

I agree they should resign, but that should not be the end of it. I'm no fan of Stefanik, but her clear and persistent question may serve as a much-needed wake-up call that will prompt a new conversation about the norms and values now operative in these institutions.

On what planet would it be right in any way, in any context, to call for the genocide of Jews?

Like, duh!
These three university presidents must have all consulted with the same legal advisor. Their responses were essentially the same - "it depends on the context". They shouldn't be given the opportunity to resign; they should be fired immediately by their respective boards of directors. Considering their incompetence in this critical matter displayed before Congress - under oath, on national TV - it should be easy to find more qualified replacements.

Reactions: danthewolf00

ATeam

Retired Expediter
University Presidents are Backpedaling

The three university presidents who shocked the country with their "depends on context" remarks are trying to walk them back. The Harvard president said, "What I should have had the presence of mind to do in that moment was return to my guiding truth, which is that calls for violence against our Jewish community — threats to our Jewish students — have no place at Harvard, and will never go unchallenged."

If I was a Harvard stakeholder, speaking with her, I'd say, that's not good enough. You were not hired for this high-paying, high-profile, high-responsibility position to make major blunders like you did. You are hired to adhere to the guiding truths you claim to have in the high-pressure moments where adherence counts the most. And you are hired to cast Harvard in the best possible light, not the worst.

And your modified response is still inadequate, even as you try to take a second bite of the apple which is not available to you. Your second answer does not make things better, it makes things worse. The question asked in the hearing was, "At Harvard, does calling for the genocide of Jews violate Harvard’s rules of bullying and harassment?" The simple, easy and correct answer is "yes," but you failed again to give it. Your second response still dances around the issue. You are still failing to clearly answer the question asked, and ask it correctly.

In the very instant we were counting on you to do your best, you did the absolute worst for yourself and Harvard. There is no recovery from this monumental blunder you made. It will take years for Harvard to live down the ill-advised response you gave in that congressional hearing. You visited great harm on this institution and on Jews. You're fired and you're banned for life from setting foot on this campus again. There are a number of community colleges in Gaza. Maybe you can seek employment there.

Representative Stefanik is also rejecting the Harvard president's response, and I'm with her. Stefanik said, "No, Dr. Gay. You were given an opportunity to speak your truth. And you did. Not once. Not twice Not 5x. Not 10x I asked you 17x(!!!) in the hearing about whether calling for the genocide of Jews violates @Harvard code of conduct. You spoke your truth under oath 17x. And the world heard it," (Source)

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
And then in no time they will just move elsewhere and continue their status quo in the new place.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
And then in no time they will just move elsewhere and continue their status quo in the new place.
All three of these university presidents are intelligent, resourceful people. They did not win these positions by being otherwise. You can be sure they will land on their feet to continue their careers. But it's also reasonable to believe nothing like this has happened to them before. The firestorm of criticism they attracted will make them think twice before they utter such foolishness again. We might even hope they reflect deeply on their blunder and learn from their mistake. If they don't, they'll still land on their feet, but will likely end up in positions where their influence is greatly diminished.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
All three of these university presidents are intelligent, resourceful people. They did not win these positions by being otherwise. You can be sure they will land on their feet to continue their careers. But it's also reasonable to believe nothing like this has happened to them before. The firestorm of criticism they attracted will make them think twice before they utter such foolishness again. We might even hope they reflect deeply on their blunder and learn from their mistake. If they don't, they'll still land on their feet, but will likely end up in positions where their influence is greatly diminished.
What was the impetus for Rep. Stefinak asking them the question? And why did they “utter such foolishness”?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
What was the impetus for Rep. Stefinak asking them the question? And why did they “utter such foolishness”?
I do not know. The only way to know is to ask Stefinak and the college presidents. It was from their minds that Stefanik's question and their answers came.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I saw a poll where the majority of students don’t even know what the “antifada chant” means.

IMG_5253.jpegIMG_5254.jpeg

Last edited:

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
What was the impetus for Rep. Stefinak asking them the question?
There's a strong, highly organized antisemitic movement at these three colleges and many others happening all over the country right now. Jewish students legitimately fear for their safety because the demonstrators are openly calling for the eradication of Jews. College administrators are doing nothing to stop it.
And why did they “utter such foolishness”?
These three tenured professors live in their own cloistered environment, out of touch with the real world and normal people. They also have an inflated superiority complex which was on full display at this hearing. They think they are superior to the unwashed masses, but had a rude awakening after their condescending remarks about Jewish genocide. On a side note, wonder how the president of Harvard would react to students burning a cross in her front yard?

Reactions: muttly

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
All three of these university presidents are intelligent, resourceful people. They did not win these positions by being otherwise. You can be sure they will land on their feet to continue their careers. But it's also reasonable to believe nothing like this has happened to them before.
The president of Harvard has indeed been involved in a similar situation before, when students were "afraid". It seems students were fearful due to the perfectly legal actions by one of the faculty members who briefly represented Harvey Weinstein.

"When she was Dean of the faculty, she fired Ron Sullivan, who was Dean of one of the colleges..."

Dershowitz: Harvard's President 'Has to Leave' 'By Her Own Standards' She Used Against a Dean in the Past

Reactions: muttly

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I think the world needs to start over, just leave out people and fill it with Golden Retrievers ...