Ceramic Heater?

BigDiesel

Expert Expediter
My heater in the sleeper area is blowing luke warm at best, can you run one of those little ceramic heaters with a 2000 watt inverter? Anybody use anything else?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You can run the heater at least on the low setting with the inverter. The high setting might trip the breaker. The question would be how long could your batteries run it and still start the truck. If you have a separate and isolated battery bank for the sleeper then you can run it until they go down too low to run the thing.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You should be able to. Check the watts on the appliance and make sure it doesn't exceed your inverters requirements. Running it on low should be ok. One with a thermostsat would be your best choice.

Truck issue is likely a problem with electric flow valve if dash heat is ok. These valves are notorious for failure. Make sure heater valves at engine are open all the way. These are seperate valves for the sleeper heat if so equipped.

Davekc

BigDiesel

Expert Expediter
Thats a good question, Im not sure how the batteries are set up. I know there is an inverter under the bunk and the heater dash is fine. Im not much of the mechanically inclined person so I dont really know how the whole sleeper battery thing works........lol I know there are three batteries and an inverter, I just assumed you had idled the truck the whole time. :p

TheGoodGuy

Expert Expediter
IMHO the small propane catalytic (??spelling) heater is the best way to go. Get one at Walmart, small bottle will last up to 14 hours.

Warm and cozy, no carbon monoxide to worry about, and if you think your sleeper might be a little too airtight, crack a window...

God Bless America

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
It has been mentioned here that cracking the window in truckstops and rest areas poses a danger of carbon monoxide from nearby idling vehicles . A carbon monoxide detector should be used .

BigDiesel

Expert Expediter
That was one of my first ivestments a Carbon Monoxide detector. For some reason the mechanics dont impress me much when it comes to doing routine checks.

TheGoodGuy

Expert Expediter
Thats a good point, if you're parking next to idling vehicles.

We make every effort to stay away from them....If somebodys idling close to us we just move.....

God Bless America

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
>Thats a good question, Im not sure how the batteries are set
>up. I know there is an inverter under the bunk and the
>heater dash is fine. Im not much of the mechanically
>inclined person so I dont really know how the whole sleeper
>battery thing works........lol I know there are three
>batteries and an inverter, I just assumed you had idled the
>truck the whole time. :p

If you have seperate batteries in the sleeper, they may be deep cycle batteries. Hard to tell. If so, a ceramic heater will work for awhile without starting the truck if it is a small one. Setting the thermostat will prolong its use before starting the truck is needed.

And for what it is worth, ceramic heaters are fumeless unless you tip it over and start your truck on fire;)

Davekc