cellular internet access for laptop

LCharles

Expert Expediter
Hi. I'm looking for advice on which cellular internet service works the best with a laptop for nationwide internet access.

Thanks in advance.

LV

LCharles

Expert Expediter
also, at flying J I couldn't get online effectively with the wi-fi from the truck.

Does anyone have experience with various wireless cards, antennas or usb access to tell me which one words best?

romoore245

Expert Expediter
We use a sprint card in our truck it has worked pretty good, kinda slow. 230kbs peak speed and There was no connection west of minesota that was bothersome, but on the east coast it works nearly everywhere even in tunnels and most mountains, we enjoy the connectivity since we drive team the truckstop nets were not enough though much faster but if you get sprint you must get the 300 mb for $100 month plan or you will be paying $400 a month in over use fees

i was thinking of changing to at&t they have an unlimited plan for $80 monthly(that was what i signed up for with sprint then got slamed with a big bill said only business accounts get unlimited)

at&t has a 200kbs peak speed a little slower and the iniatial cost is $249 with full cost rebate the sprint is $179 no price breaks i can find.
I would like to hear if anyone uses the at&t how well it works and such, if i switch its $150 or more for sprints contract termination fees, tough call.

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
We use the Sprint Card, get unlimited for $80 a month. All you really need for that is an ESN from Uncle Sam . . .pretty easy to get.

We noticed that it DID NOT work once we crossed into Canada . . .then neither did our cell phones. We really felt detached!

Sprint has had some major billing problems with us though; they wouldn't honor the unlimited/biz plan first, then they did. Our first bill showed 2 different complete setups, and a cancellation of a third. The bill was around a $1000! Donna got on the phone and after three reps and about 40 minutes got that straightened out.

But each bill has some new snafu on it - and the customer service is pitiful. We got ours thru Interstate Connections, the folks at the truck stops. I wondered if it would of been smoother had we gone direct to a Sprint store. Can anybody else shed some light here?

We rate - Product: Fantastic .....Customer Svc/Billing: the worst!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If using wi-fi, use a separate USB antenna. The atntenna that goes into the side of your computer is almost a waste. Works in the building, but not that well in the parking areas. We have tried a couple of antennas and the best one seems to be Proxim.

romoore245

Expert Expediter
The sprint store is pitiful as well they will lie to complete the sale, they don't know how anything works, didn't tell any of the terms or cost just said it was unlimited for two months then $.002 per kb that adds up fast.

How did you push through the business plan i was told by many sprint reps anyone could get the unlimited, but i have yet to get it pushed through its like noone at sprint has a clue, or they just mislead customers really well.

today i was told i am not allowed to have another phone on my sprint account i was a little upset, and ready to fight with them somemore, just need to know how.

it seems everyother company is offering the unlimited but sprint only wants business accounts to get it.

The Gibster

Expert Expediter
It took over an hour and a half by the IC rep talking to Sprint customer service on the phone. The IC rep remembered the flyer he had gotten a couple of weeks earlier about the biz plan.

He had gotten the run-around till finally someone actually knew about the program, knew what to do, and signed us up. But the other account had already been activated, and when it was cancelled we were zapped with an immediate $500 early cancellation fee!

The IC clerk did what Donna does . . keep insisting to talk to someone else, or a supervisor. And it's gotten ugly! But we finally get them to own up to their programs.

If Sprint didn't have such a great product I would fling it out the window! THE WORST customer service anywhere.

romoore245

Expert Expediter
Thats true i wanted to throw my phone and card out the window many times, i guess i will try calling again one other thing im going round with them about is they refuse to increase my credit limit if i hit 200 i get shut off, and just one phone and a card is 196 they told me if i dont like the limit, change companies because they do not have a credit department. Its an auto thing. I dont belive it they have collection so why wouldn't they have a credit department.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
I always used my standard dialup account thru my Nextel phone. Nextel offers many plans with free evenings and weekends, and you can get a data cable at the Nextel store. I'm not a Nextel salesman or anything, but I had very good connections in most places and it got the job done. I was satisfied enough to reccommend them to others.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'd also like to hear more about the new ATT wireless plan. Any users out there yet with real world experience to report? We use an air card $80 a month unlimited access plan now. When it works, it works great. Speed is sufficient for our needs. Problem is coverage is not nationwide. I've heard ATT claims national coverage. If that's true, we'd be eager to switch. We've stayed away from Wi-Fi. Why tie your self to truck stops or hot-spot hunts when an air card gives you so much more?

romoore245

Expert Expediter
The sprint card does have national coverage and if you have a tax id and a business name you can get the 80 unlimited plan, as we said it worked everywhere but montana.

I have heard of the cable and program you can get at best buy to make a cell phone work for dial up, but have yet to find it. If anyone knows it would help, phone plans are stareting to get better.

Whats the speeds like using a cell phone, compared to a data card?

This superhighway is going to cause one major traffic jam...

terminus

Expert Expediter
I have been going online in my truck and at truckstops since 1995. I have always been looking for something better. The BEST most reliable and fastest was a satellite system I had, but-it's very cumbersome and needs to be "dialed" in, AND very expensive. So, I sold it.
Next BEST is a T-Moble "Air-Card". Email, internet, whatever. Very similar to the sprint/verizon/at&t cards. BIG difference...PRICE! I pay 19.99 per month for unlimited use. That means I don't care how long it takes (well, to a point) to send a fax or download a broker packet. I've been using it since Nov 03 and have used it in the SouthEast 11 states. I am very satisifed with it.

Hope this helps ya'

Wesley