Cdl test

sluggo

Seasoned Expediter
Cdl test: Hints for taking the Pre-trip test appreciated

I'm getting ready to take the Michigan CDL test next week and was just wondering if anyone had any helpful input on how to remember all testing points during the pre-inspection? Please pray for me as my family deserves more than veterans disability income.

Last edited:

johnf

Seasoned Expediter
What i did for the pre inspection was i would go to my driveway and make believe my car was a truck and just start naming things and use the test book.

Good Luck

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Same advice as "How do I get to Carnegie Hall?"
Practice! :rolleyes:
Physically, mentally, and repeatedly.
Good luck. :)

sluggo

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you all very much. I intend to use every bit of this information. It's refreshing to see veterans willing to help out noobs like me. Romans 8:28

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
It's a lot easier when there is a truck in front of you. Have someone follow you around the vehicle (or substitute practice vehicle, like johnf suggested, but truck is best). While looking at the part to inspect, tell your partner everything you know about the part. The point of every part is that it has a name and isn't missing, worn or broke. What used to be "just a wheel" becomes a rim that can't have bends or cracks, it has tight lug nuts and is lubed. The tire has tread, and pressure and no abrasions, cuts or bulges. Then you move to brakes, steering, suspension... You'll be able to do this to all the parts even if they aren't in the manual. Children and grandchildren, nieces and nephews make good practice partners. You'll be surprised how quickly you'll get to know more about your vehicle than you thought possible.

eb

milpig

Expert Expediter
Unless something has changed since I took it, you can use a checklist for the pretrip.

milpig

Expert Expediter
What?! If you use a checklist, it's because you don't really know it, so what's the point? :confused:

I respectfully disagree. I do know it and I did back then. I used a checklist on the test because I could. I used the checklist because I am a nervous tester as the person who asked seems to be also.

Mostly I used a checklist because as the army and Michigan State taught me...... never give up a free advantage.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I was pretty nervous too, and missed 3 things in the first 30 seconds, but then got everything else without a list.
Using a list is like an open book test - many won't learn the material at all if they can just look it up for the test.
If you learned it all anyhow, I suspect you're an exception. :)