CDL Test

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
SKIDROCK had a post in the Newbies thread about passing the CDL. I didn't want to hijack his post. I took my CDL training at a junior college about ten years ago. VERY good training. Anyhoo, when I went for my CDL test, I got in the cab, the test guy asked me about the air brake pressures. My mind went absolutely blank. I couldn't think of the answers for anything. Well, that stopped the test right there. I had to reschedule the test for a later date. I had trained on a conventional tractor with a certain length trailer. I came for the test, and here was a cab over with a different length trailer. I had never even been in a cab over. I did pass the test, though. Even though I drove a CV, I had a CDL A with air, doubles, tankers and passenger (bus). Anybody else have any CDL test horror stories?

SKIDROCK

Expert Expediter
Thats exactly what I'm afraid of, my mind going blank. I'm a very laid back, quiet person. Being in a cab with a strange person and taking a test is going to be a challenge for me. Like theoldprof asked, anyone else have any horror stories before I take my test.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Sorry, SKIDROCK, I didn't want to raise up any horror stories right before you take your CDL test. That's like telling an expectant mother all the horrible delivery stories or a person going for surgery all the hospital stories. If anyone brings up any stories, hope you might learn from them.

SKIDROCK

Expert Expediter
Thats alright, I want to hear everything I can before I take the test, like you said, maybe I'll learn something!

termite289

Expert Expediter
didn't know how to double clutch when i took my test. i tried and tried to use that clumsy left pedal, yet the clutch brake eluded my comprehension. after a mile of grinding gears, sweating and worrying, i looked at the instructor, and asked him if i had failed the shifting part yet. he smiled and said oh yes. i said ok then, and put my left foot on the floor where it belonged, and began to shift the truck with the rpm gauge like i learned to do around the shop yard.
upon returning to the testing facility, he told me that he had never had to erase a failing grade on shifting before. once my left foot hit the floor, no more grinding.

always confused

Seasoned Expediter
not really a horror story but... when i went to get my cdl i took the written test, passed.. ask if i could use a rental truck (aka u-haul) for the driving portion. it turns out as i wanted a class c licence the tester said i could just use my car. ahyhow after driving around for a while, doing turns, lane changes, rr crossings 'in haz mat mode' ect . we went under a bridge, after which the tester ask what the clearance was.. to which i replied "i have no idea, but it was higher than the roof." the tester grinned a little, but still checked the box. i passed.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
I forgot to mention that when I went for my second, third, and finally fourth CDL driving exam I had to back the TT around some cones in a curve. Don't remember exactly how, but when you backed and turned, just hold onto the wheel and the trailer would do what it was supposed to do. Well,,,, I would crank the wheel and the trailer would go the wrong way. The test guy finally threatened me with a ball bat if I didn't do EXACTLY as he said. I did finally, and I passed.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
When I took my road test my tester said let's pretend your hauling a hazmat load and chuckled. I thought he was joking. I got up to a set of railroad tracks and kept going. He failed me. I was so close to the end he had me drive the rest of the test route. He told me to come back the next day. I get back the next day for my test, and he tells me when you have a hazmat load for real and come to railroad tracks stop, put on the four way lights, look both ways, and then procede. Then he handed me my paperwork to take to the DMV. I didn't even crank the truck the second day.