CDL required for <10K GVW Van?

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
DOT inspectors are only looking for a medical as it relates to a CDL. A 1 ton pickup w/ a trailer requires a medical card only because you must have a Class A to drive anything with either 26001+ GVW or GCW. If your combination weight is is 26000 or below, no special license or card is required.

You don't need a medical card to drive a 1 ton pickup any more than you need one to drive a 1 ton cargo van.

Yes you do . 13,000 lb. GVWR requires a medical card .

Ram 3500 specs

Higher Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR): 13,000 pounds (Regular Cab, dual-rear-wheel axle with 6.7-liter diesel)
Towing: Up to 18,850 pounds (Regular Cab, dual-rear-wheel axle)
Payload: 6,650 pounds
Higher front Gross Axle Weight Rating (GAWR): 5,500 pounds
Medical Cards
Who needs a medical card?
Every truck driver who operates:
An interstate vehicle over 10,000 lbs. GVWR or RGW.
An intrastate vehicle over 26,000 lbs. GVWR or RGW.
New Jersey Motor Truck Association - Regulation Information Center

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Actually , there is no airbrake endorsement .
I knew that. I also knew that Sprinters don't have a throttle plate, but I typed that one once, too.

There's no endorsement, but if you fail the air brake section of the test you'll get a restriction.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I knew that. I also knew that Sprinters don't have a throttle plate, but I typed that one once, too.

There's no endorsement, but if you fail the air brake section of the test you'll get a restriction.
True , but most of the people that I know that have the restriction got it because their test vehicle didn't have air brakes .