CDL required for <10K GVW Van?

bugsysiegel

Expert Expediter
Just curious, did a search but did not find what I was looking for.

Is a CDL required if I drive a less than 10K GVW van, no hazmat loads? And if the CDL isn't required, then would a DOT physical card be moot?

Just wondered because I was approached by someone who wanted me to drive van, but after I told them I couldn't currently get a DOT card for hazmat, they ignored me. Not a problem, I was just wondering about if I needed it for non-hazmat hauling.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
The medical card goes hand-in-hand with the CDL and the driver bearing it, not the vehicle he is driving. Yes, a CDL WITH hazmat endorsement is required to haul HM. No special license is needed for any vehicle 26000 GVW or below, unless hauling HM. However, carrier contract requirements may differ from the law.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Just curious, did a search but did not find what I was looking for.
Should have searched in the State Driver's License Handbook. ;)

Is a CDL required if I drive a less than 10K GVW van, no hazmat loads? And if the CDL isn't required, then would a DOT physical card be moot?
A CDL is not required for a cargo van with a GVWR of 10,000 or less, unless the van hauls HAZMAT, or 9 passengers including the driver for hire, or 15 passengers including the driver not-for hire.

Some carriers require a CDL, anyway. With most of them, HAZMAT is preferred, even though you'll almost never carry it, but a passenger endorsement also works.

If you don't have a CDL then a DOT physical is not required. Most carriers will require one, however, regardless of whether you sign on with or without a CDL.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
The medical card goes hand-in-hand with the CDL and the driver bearing it, not the vehicle he is driving. Yes, a CDL WITH hazmat endorsement is required to haul HM. No special license is needed for any vehicle 26000 GVW or below, unless hauling HM. However, carrier contract requirements may differ from the law.

Wrong info . With the exception of hazmat a CDL isn't required on vehicles under 26,001 lbs. GVWR . A DOT medical card is required for GVWR over 10,000 lbs. . State inspectors love targeting 1 ton pickups . As soon as they hook up to any type trailer they exceed 10,000 lbs. GWVR and require a medical card .
I worked for a company that was very strict on FMCSR compliance . They regulary used 1 ton crew cabs to transport workers . They made sure anyone that pulled trailer with a pickup had a medical card .

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
State inspectors love targeting 1 ton pickups . As soon as they hook up to any type trailer they exceed 10,000 lbs. GWVR and require a medical card...

If we are talking about adding a trailer, then one looks at the GCWR, not GVWR. At least, where I come from.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If your last name was "Point", You would be a Moot Point. :D

newmootpoint-1.jpg

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Wrong info . With the exception of hazmat a CDL isn't required on vehicles under 26,001 lbs. GVWR . A DOT medical card is required for GVWR over 10,000 lbs. . State inspectors love targeting 1 ton pickups . As soon as they hook up to any type trailer they exceed 10,000 lbs. GWVR and require a medical card .
I worked for a company that was very strict on FMCSR compliance . They regulary used 1 ton crew cabs to transport workers . They made sure anyone that pulled trailer with a pickup had a medical card .

DOT inspectors are only looking for a medical as it relates to a CDL. A 1 ton pickup w/ a trailer requires a medical card only because you must have a Class A to drive anything with either 26001+ GVW or GCW. If your combination weight is is 26000 or below, no special license or card is required.

You don't need a medical card to drive a 1 ton pickup any more than you need one to drive a 1 ton cargo van.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
If we are talking about adding a trailer, then one looks at the GCWR, not GVWR. At least, where I come from.

You are absolutely correct. The issue is not with one ton trucks or even the trailer. When your combination weight hits 26001, you need a CDL-A, cuz it bends in the middle. A CDL requires a med card.

sewmun

Seasoned Expediter
Legally from 10,001 to 26,000 you need a med card,logbook& dot#on the vehicle when you are hauling for commerce.I found this out hauling with my truck & trailer for business.And know have a FL70 that requires the same along w/a yearly inspection of the vehicle.
You can check this out @ the FMCSA site
Bob

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Legally from 10,001 to 26,000 you need a med card,logbook& dot#on the vehicle when you are hauling for commerce.I found this out hauling with my truck & trailer for business.And know have a FL70 that requires the same along w/a yearly inspection of the vehicle.
You can check this out @ the FMCSA site
Bob
True

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - Medical - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Part 391.41: Physical qualifications for drivers. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Part 390.5: Definitions. - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
the easiest way to find out this answer os to call a recruiter at a specific carrier. some do not require a cdl and haul no hazmat. some do and want a cdl.

only you know the specific carrier you want to work with and that is the place to go for an answer.

carrying a cdl or a chauffer c license indicates you are serious about this profession and not just another steering wheel holder passing thru.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I stand corrected on this. Back when I still drove a non-CDL straight truck, we were still a Florida inTRA-state carrier, so I was never required to have one. At least not until I got my CDL.
That's one of those that's so easily confusable, anyway. There are lots of things that look one way, but when you look at the regs closer it all depends on which part and subpart they are discussing. Like a CMV is defined one way for the vehicle, but another way for the driver with respect to whether or not a CDL is required. The regs clearly state that you have to have to be physically able (DOT medical exam) to drive a CMV, but if you look around the Part 391 and subparts for the definitions, a CMV isn't until you get to the 26,001 category. But that's for CDL. You have to go up to Part 390 to get the definitions for everything that follows that part.

It's weird, and confusing.

You'd think since the FMCSA is all about safety, mainly of heavy vehicles, that if you need to log and scale and you need a DOT physical, then you need an actual CDL, too. But nooooo. You need a physical to drive a heavy vehicle, but you don't need the CDL unless it's a really heavy vehicle. Um, OK.

sewmun

Seasoned Expediter
FWIW,my truck has airbrakes & is under 26,000 & I double checked it & found out I would only need a cdl if with airbrakes if ur hauling hazmat or over I think 12 people.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
non hazmat non air brake vehicle
10k-26k a chaueffers lic, med card, dot physical with dot drug screen and you will need to log
Not everybody lives in Michigan. And try as they will, Michigan is not the center of the universe.

Very few states still issue a chauffeur license at all, and only 2 that I know of still issue them for non-passenger vehicles (Michigan and Rhode Island) for the 10k-26k vehicles described above. Rhode Island goes one step further and requires the Chauffeur's license for any and all vehicles, including cars, if it is driven to a designated location for payment, regardless of what it's hauling, be it people or freight.

29 states require no special licensing or endorsements of any kind for hauling 16 or fewer passengers including the driver. If you haul enough passengers (16 in most, 14 in a few, 9 in some) they simply require a CDL with a passenger endorsement. The few states that still issue a Chauffeur's license issue them only for limo and taxi drivers

So in most states, like Ohio and Kentucky, for example, you can drive a 26,000 GVWR vehicle in Interstate commerce with just a regular ol' (Class D in most states) Operator License (Florida and a few states use Class E for a regular license, and Class D is for 8,000-26,000 GVWR, like for SUV's, one-ton pickups, etc.).

Air brakes are irrelevant on vehicles under 26,001 pounds GVW. Air brake endorsements only apply to CDL's and to CMV's.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Er... turtle, we are the center of the universe. :p

You were warned that when the country elected the messiah, the rest of the country will become like Michigan and it has. :eek:

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Not everybody lives in Michigan. And try as they will, Michigan is not the center of the universe.

Very few states still issue a chauffeur license at all, and only 2 that I know of still issue them for non-passenger vehicles (Michigan and Rhode Island) for the 10k-26k vehicles described above. Rhode Island goes one step further and requires the Chauffeur's license for any and all vehicles, including cars, if it is driven to a designated location for payment, regardless of what it's hauling, be it people or freight.

29 states require no special licensing or endorsements of any kind for hauling 16 or fewer passengers including the driver. If you haul enough passengers (16 in most, 14 in a few, 9 in some) they simply require a CDL with a passenger endorsement. The few states that still issue a Chauffeur's license issue them only for limo and taxi drivers

So in most states, like Ohio and Kentucky, for example, you can drive a 26,000 GVWR vehicle in Interstate commerce with just a regular ol' (Class D in most states) Operator License (Florida and a few states use Class E for a regular license, and Class D is for 8,000-26,000 GVWR, like for SUV's, one-ton pickups, etc.).

Air brakes are irrelevant on vehicles under 26,001 pounds GVW. Air brake endorsements only apply to CDL's and to CMV's.
Actually , there is no airbrake endorsement . If you get a CDL on a vehicle over 26,00 lbs. without airbrakes (hotshotters with dually pickups and a trailer over 16,000 lbs. GVWR are the most common example ) you are given a CDL with a nonairbrake only restriction .