CDL Question

00Grog

Rookie Expediter
I got what I thought was a simple question. I called the DMV and went there and asked and didn't really get an answer. So here goes.
I have a 15ft boxtruck 12000#. I don't need a CDL to drive this truck.I am thinking about signing on with a company that requires all the drivers to have a CDL-B at least.
Here's the question: Can I take the CDL test in this truck???
When I call or go in in person the the clerk or whatever she is at the DMV reads me the rules from the book. It says I must take the test " in the type of vehicle for which you are to be licensed" So I pointed out my truck in the parking lot and asked can I take it that. Her answer was I guess so. It seems like it would take an act of congress to get to actually talk to the person that gives the test.
My guess is, since this truck does not require a CDL-B to drive I can't take the test in it. I have to make an appointment to take the test,so I don't want to show up in the wrong truck. But it would be great if I could take it in my own truck. Any thoughts?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you take the road test in that truck, you'll get a CDL-C. and you'll have to have either a passenger or a HAZMAT endorsement. They will not issue a CDL for a higher class vehicle than the one you take the test with.

You may want to ask the carrier why they require you to have a license for a vehicle you won't drive.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
You will need a vehicle with a GVRW of 26,001 lbs or more for a class B test.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

00Grog

Rookie Expediter
Thanks guys your answers confirmed what I thought. Wanted to get some other opinions though. Turtle from the listings I've seen on the want ads here it looks like most want you to have a "B" to even drive a van.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
For practice you can train on a 24 / 26 foot strait truck that weighs less than 26,000 lbs non CDL with air brakes. It helps to have somone with Class A or B experiance work with you, this will let you get the feel for what youre testing on for a Class B, also in case you have to walk and talk with D.O.T. somone who has been through this before can make that experiance easier.

Yes even a non CDL truck is subject to inspections, DOT regs, and depending on milage from home log books. Even if near home you must carry a time card and account for any and all time both off duty and time worked for the week prior this includes non driving side work it all counts as on duty.
You will have to test out on a Class B truck that weighs more than 26,000 lbs and have a driver that has a CURRENT CDL A or B with you for the road test.

DO NOT DRIVE YOURSELF TO THE ROAD TEST YOU WILL BE IN DEEP FECES FOR DRIVING OUT OF CLASS.

Good Luck
Bob Wolf.

00Grog

Rookie Expediter
Thanks
Does anybody know if someone like Penske rents a truck that size for just 2 or 3 days?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
They will but they will only rent it to someone with the correct license.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle from the listings I've seen on the want ads here it looks like most want you to have a "B" to even drive a van.
I don't know, I haven't looked. But I think most that require a CDL for a non-CDL vehicle simply require a CDL of some kind, either A, B or C. There's really no reason for any carrier to require a CDL Class that's different than the Vehicle Class you drive. Panther is like that (or at least they were when I was there). I drive a Sprinter and have a Class C CDL.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Running a non CDL opperation has one pluss.. Its easier to turn down a load that will glow in the dark or detonate.

Bob Wolf