CDL Medical Experience December 2015

Pro3500

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
IF a medical examiner did request more information from my physician I certainly would not deny it. And I say IF. I've read the regulations on the whats required page after page. If the acting physician feels for some reason that they need more info than so be it. However it is not a standard request and you are not asked to sign a release form for medical records. When my blood pressure is taken and it's normal what would trigger an alert? Checking ankles or legs for water retention or other signs is not part of the required examine. Weighing in at 400 pounds and out of breath just walking in! yup you might have high blood pressure don't lie.

Like going into the scale house with DOT working. If you have a light out you might go around back. Like I also said some doctors are doing way more than is required. My buddy took his he had to strip put on a gown and was given literally a full physical. If you're asked to disrobe for DOT your in the wrong office. With that said some companies require you have your DOT taken by their doctors. Walmart for one. DOT physical just isn't that entailed. It's a 20 minute deal it's not that complicated.

However you are right and wrong. It will not automatically void my DOT

"The driver must also certify that he/she understands that inaccurate, false or misleading information may invalidate the examination and medical examiner's certificate"

It MAY not will. I still feel that taking the examine away from your acting physician was a mistake. They opened the door IMO. Life's a gamble, I've taken bigger ones that's a fact. Just pulling out of the driveway is a gamble. Bottom line like I said I could just get healthy and not worry about it. ;)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Checking ankles or legs for water retention or other signs is not part of the required examine.
Required or not, they can check whatever they want in order to qualify the driver as being physically able to perform. Part of the routine examination is the inspection of the extremities for, among other things, edema, which of present can trigger a suspicion of high blood pressure controlled by medication if it's not indicated on the medical history.

Like I also said some doctors are doing way more than is required.
That much is certain. The new regulations make the examiner financially liable for qualifying someone who shouldn't be qualified, so they are going overboard with the Guidelines and treating them as if they are regulations.

It MAY not will.
Minor mistakes (like wrong dosage of a medication), probably not. But leaving off both a history of high blood pressure and the medication being taken for it, that'll do it. If they determine the information you gave is misleading, good luck.

Reactions: Pro3500

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Of course I could just get healthy and get off my meds.

It's been known to happen. We see it fairly regularly in our gym that a unhealthy people work out a few times a week and change their eating and drinking habits. They come in beaming and eager to share the news that their doctor took them off one or more meds because their health has improved to the point where the meds are no longer needed