CAT Trucks - on Hwy.

moose

Veteran Expediter
Now available @ your Cat dealership the all new CT660.
i had one of those pass me by the other day in St Louis.
but then i have to ask,
what about emission control ?, how'they get away with that ?
all that CAT motor have is an EGR valve .
they say it's meet 2010 emission ... yet no SCR
what am i missing ?

http://www.drivecat.com/unleashed

will this rig ever make it to the Expedite market ?
how'bout long haul TT ?

Last edited:

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Navister builds it so possibly navistar powered ? Looks like a Mack inspired hood. Definitely 13 letter-****spreader cab. Going after Mack's vocational market: dumps and lowboys.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They don't honor legitimate warranty claims. Stick with any other brand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using EO Forums

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They don't honor legitimate warranty claims. Stick with any other brand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using EO Forums

I get that it happened to you. But to speak in absolutes is ridiculous.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh, I'm sure now and then they may do the right thing. Blind squirrels find nuts too. I didn't say they never do, I said they don't honor legitimate claims. That's an absolute fact but perhaps not a universal fact. I can't speak to every claim every filed, just to the accuracy of my statement. They deny legitimate warranty claims.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
My first new truck had a 3406/425. Minor warrenty problem. My new truck was ordered so I was able to put it put of my mind. My '91 3176 was in Cat shops 104 days the first 12 months.I never considered a Cat product since. I bought 5 Detroits in a row and my new Volvo would be detroit powered if I had that option.

ScottSTL

Active Expediter
Those new Cat engines roll off the same assembly line as the Navistar's, only in the special yellow paint.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They could stand on the Cummins line with yellow spray paint and I wouldn't have it, not because it wouldn't then be a good engine but because the company isn't a stand up company. They deny legitimate warranty claims. They are not honest and can't be trusted.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
They could stand on the Cummins line with yellow spray paint and I wouldn't have it, not because it wouldn't then be a good engine but because the company isn't a stand up company. They deny legitimate warranty claims. They are not honest and can't be trusted.

I can't dispute your situation and it may have something to do with a territory manager? I can say (now almost two years) we had a turbo replaced that then failed and took out a 750k mile engine. Cat took an oil sample and deemed the failure was caused by bad bearings in the turbo. They replaced the turbo and installed a brand new engine. The only charge was for some minor parts that I wanted added like starter and alternator. Figured might as well make everything new while we were at it.
Only real loss was truck was down for two weeks, but for a new engine I couldn't complain. So....they did stand behind our repair. Maybe different locations yield different results?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We worked our way up from the dealership to the regional level out in the SLC area. I also traded emails with someone at the corporate level. The technician working on the truck had 10 yrs at the same shop and said in 10 years that was the cleanest and obviously best maintained engine he'd seen in all those years. He said there's no way it was neglect or abuse and no way it shouldn't be covered by the extended warranty that came with the truck from day one. Too many people who know what they are talking about saying cover it and at least 3 different Cat people saying no.

I'm glad others had and have better results with Cat. The fact anyone can have these results is a red flag and three strikes to me. Never again unless it's given to me absolutely free initially.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Q When dose anything go smooth and on budget with a dealer?

A Only when you buy the parts and do it yourself

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
Neat truck. Like the looks of it. by the time I'll be able to afford one they will be last decades latest fad.

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
I agree 100% witth LDB!!!!! Personnaly know of more than one individual who had to file bankruptcy due to the 2008 C-15 Cat engine regen problems and Cat's inabilty to keep these engines running.
" Best thing about Cat over the road engines, They don't make them anymore"

A

Anomaly

Definitely glad I was referred to this site. When I was driving before, (in the eighties) the ones to go for were Cat Engines and Detroits. The CATS were better in town and the Detroits were better on the open road but ... I was looking at Kitties ... guess I need to reevaluate that portion as well. The fact that anyone can have these issues ... it does raise a pretty big red flag. It may be a while before I can buy my own but I still love to look ... but looking in different directions now.

Thanks.