Cat factory passwords

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That's me. We had trouble with Cat not honoring their extended warranty even after the tech said in his 10 years our engine was the cleanest and best cared for he had ever torn into. I think Cat sucks and will be glad to never have anything to do with them again.

Wraytechs

Seasoned Expediter
That's me. We had trouble with Cat not honoring their extended warranty even after the tech said in his 10 years our engine was the cleanest and best cared for he had ever torn into. I think Cat sucks and will be glad to never have anything to do with them again.
wow thts tough nothing worse than dishonesty... like I said in my prior post I can make most passwords... do you have Electronic Technician?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
No, I'm mostly retired now. That was several years ago. I'm still mad at them though.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I wonder just how legal this is. I suspect the answer is "not legal at all". Last time I read anything about it, hacking passwords is a serious business.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Hacking passwords for a networked computer is serious business, hacking passwords for your own truck, not so serious.

Last edited:

Wraytechs

Seasoned Expediter
I wonder just how legal this is. I suspect the answer is "not legal at all". Last time I read anything about it, hacking passwords is a serious business.
ive never looked into the legal side I just bought a generic password generator tht was created for cat ecms... Im not stealing them from Cats network or anywhere...

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm inclined to go with Turtle on this one. Getting the password for your truck's ecm is a whole different picture than getting passwords that allow you access to Cat's factory network. Trying to fix your truck vs trying to hack databases and steal names and security clearances and so on---.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's the same as when automakers started using computers in vehicles that required you to have service performed at the dealer, and wouldn't allow independent mechanics to have the software or the passwords to use it. Courts everywhere made that illegal so you can take your car to Bob's Auto Repair or the Ford Dealer and both can do the same diagnostics and repairs.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
wow thts tough nothing worse than dishonesty... like I said in my prior post I can make most passwords... do you have Electronic Technician?

Can I buy Cat software, ET or other to install in my laptop and do things like set injector trim and read fault codes in the ECM? Where would I find such a thing?

Wraytechs

Seasoned Expediter
Can I buy Cat software, ET or other to install in my laptop and do things like set injector trim and read fault codes in the ECM? Where would I find such a thing?
Yes you can it depends on what all you want to do with it... PM me if you want more info.