Cat C10 Question

ChuckWVP

Expert Expediter
I'm close to buying a truck any day now. I've looked at a few and read about many. I'm wondering something though. One truck that I looked at was class 8 with a Cat C10 engine, but it had about 350,000 miles on it. I'm also considering class 7 trucks, one of which does have the doubtful Cat 3126, but it only has about 90,000 miles on it. I believe the C10 will be better on mileage but how about longevity? Could I reasonably expect to get another 400,000 to 500,000 miles on the big Cat engine? I realize the smaller Cat may only be good for 400,000 to 500,000 miles total. Also, is there a big difference between the taxes and license fees paid for a class 8 truck over a class 7 truck? Thanks in advance for any info.

Chuck

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
While some may disagree, I have had good luck from the 3126. In addition, they are rebuildable. Class 7 are cheaper and more economical than a 8. In your case, you have to look at both trucks. The C10 is a good engine, but will drink alittle more fuel. In addition, you must look at both trucks to see how they are speced as you don't mention that. That would be my deciding factor along with what they cost. 350,000 on a C10 isn't too bad. But remember, it will need rebuilt before a 3126 with 90,000.
Davekc

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i have a c10 with 341,000 on it , go for 10 year's at most companys
2001 could run it for 6 more year's on it all or most of hour's on engine are running down the road as i donot idle my engine much
as i have a proheat genset,
run bnd automive product's in engine and the last oil sample sent in
could go 20,000 per oil change
get about 11 miles pergallon city driving and 12 out oon open
highway using tk7 in fuel tank
now going to a spinter once truck is sold
if it's not a star it's not a truck rides good

all i've done is maitance as call for

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
still for sale there are about 3 people looking into it
like fishing waitting for the hook to pull and reel in suprise
to see what you have caught
at 38,500

ChuckWVP

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it very much. Dave, I've got a motorhome with the Cat 3126 and it has done extremely well so far, including a lot of long distance trips. Of course, I only have 15,000 miles on it but, so far so good. Seems as though I read an earlier post of yours where you got over 800,000 miles on your engine. That is good to hear. Geo, I've been thinking about a Western Star, as well as other models. I sure do like the look of those trucks. That brings to mind another question. One Western Star I looked at had a 10 speed Eaton auto shift. I would think that those are pretty good transmissions. What do you guys think? Thanks in advance.

Chuck

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You will get alot of miles out of a 3126, just remember to change the oil at the correct intervals and secondly, try to refrain from too many cold starts if up north. Use a block heater.
10 Speed autoshift are excellent transmissions. Take getting use to, but once there you will like them.
Davekc

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Dave: I thought there were serious questions about rebuilding the CAT 3126 as oppossed to buying a new block. If I recall, the difference in savings was minimal.

Thanks

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I thought the same thing as well until I started doing some research on it. The price to have it sleeved is about half of a reman. You do give up alittle displacement but through the computer they can make some adjustments to make up for it. Afterwards I noticed no difference. If you are hauling heavy weight ect, you could go to a larger pump and turbo maybe? That might make some difference but not sure.

idplumberboy

Seasoned Expediter
Hi Guys,
A Google search for Cat c10 brought me to this site. I'm hoping someone here can answer a couple tough questions on rebuilding one. I understand the C10 and c12 have the same block and head. My c10 is in need of overhaul and was wondering if I could use c12 liners and pistons with original crank, rods and cam? Seems like it should work. What do you think? Has any body tried that?
thanks

id

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Hi Guys,
A Google search for Cat c10 brought me to this site. I'm hoping someone here can answer a couple tough questions on rebuilding one. I understand the C10 and c12 have the same block and head. My c10 is in need of overhaul and was wondering if I could use c12 liners and pistons with original crank, rods and cam? Seems like it should work. What do you think? Has any body tried that?
thanks

id

I have a C-10 in the truck I run personally. I have not heard of the substitution you spoke of. Doesn't mean you can't though. Any advice from the a Cat authorized mechanic besides full replacement or reman?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Get away from CAT as quickly as you can. Now that they are out of the highway engine business they will screw you in a heartbeat if you need any sort of warranty support.

nicholasc

Seasoned Expediter
Hi Guys,
thanks

id

Hi

I have a 2001 C10 with 210,000 miles on it and it runs great also has a 10 speed tranny for sale any ideas on there value to sell ??

sway499

Seasoned Expediter
i have a 98 c-10 in a international and iam having idle problems it will fall off and lose prime i didnt know what anybody could say or help me out i would appricate it

josebernard

Active Expediter
Hi Dave,

A Google search sent me to this site! I am interesting on buying a 1999 Freightliner M2 112 Business Class, with a C-10 engine and a MERITOR RMX10-135C TRANSMISSION. according to the owner the truck has 470,000 miles on it! i have never use a cat engine before nor a meritor-rockwell transmission! can you or somebody else provide me with more info on it?

Note: i intend to export this truck to the Dominican Republic to haul Bananas from farms to the port, usually 48,000 miles per year, on road and off road environment.

thanks in advance,

jose B.