Cat C-9 is History

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Shouldn't even be thinking about a new truck, but what the Heh, I like the new Pete 384 with the High roof 70" sleeper option, etc. Available with ISM, but no C-9. I called Jon Mosier for kicks, and he says he will no longer build the 9500 with the C-9.
Cat is discontinuing the C-9. Jon said that it was never very good for fuel, but that may be cause he mated it to the Allison. I can't find anything with the ISL, except possibly the ugly T800 KW. At that point, one might as well get a C-11 or ISM in something. The 9500 now will only be available with the MBE 4000, which seems like overkill to me... Mosier says every manufacturer is matching up with partners, and Cat may be the one left out.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That just might happen. We have had pretty decent luck with the one we have but it is true, all of the daimler's will be Mercedes engines. That may not be a bad thing depending on parts availibilty etc.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I can't speak for the latest Mercedes Engine but I Had 2 OM 366's in a 1117 and a 1319 and you simply can't kill them. Remember these are world designs. MB sells trucks all over Africa,the Middle East,SE Asia and so on. USA Roads are a picnic to them.

I spent a short time in Cambodia and all they had were MB flatbeds. No one thought about weight,they just put all they had on these guys and off they would go on roads that would be closed in this country.

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I agree- I just think that a 13L engine is overkill for what we do. One would have to be hauling tandem loads a lot to justify it as far as I'm concerned. Seems MB should offer a wet sleeve engine in the 10-11L range. I would not buy the MBE900 for that reason.
I can rebuild my ISC or get a re-man if the motor lasts long enough to warrant it. I would like to know of others who have had the ISC, and when did they re-build? If one has good luck all the way to 600K, does one just re-man when trouble starts? Anyone know?
Multi-plex wiring seems to be the issue causing electrical problems with some MB engines. Mosier says that Sterling has not gone to multi-plex wiring and they haven't had the problems we hear about with MB motors.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You had to love those huge steering wheels on the old Mercedes. But, they were built like tanks.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator