Cat c 7

Dabus1952

Seasoned Expediter
Looking at picking up a freightliner with the C7 in it. Can anyone give me there opinion on this Motor Its a 2007 . What are we talking about in Fuel mileage? Durablity. Etc . Thanks for all imput

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Not sure what mileage you are talking about but our experience has been pretty good. We have ran several up to the 900k mark without any hard part replacements. Just alternators, a couple of water pumps and tensioners. That is about it.
We do have a 05 with 700 plus on it that blew a turbo at 650k.
Turbo blew again in the 700's and took out the entire engine.
Turbo raced and burnt all the engine oil out of the engine. Smokey adventure to say the least.
Turbo was under warranty from the first replacement so CAT replaced the motor and turbo free of charge. Still lost a couple of weeks from start to finish fooling with it. But driver was happy with the new motor. Probably hang on to it for a spell with a now two year warranty. Ran it about 40k so far and trouble free. 9 to 10 to the gallon with a automatic.

Last edited:

Dabus1952

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Dave I appreciate your feedback. I have talked to you over past couple of years on here, and have found you to be a very knowledgeable guy. I wasnt sure about the truck, but after talking to you sounds like it would be a good motor. Thanks again.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Cat sucks when it comes to honoring their warranties. I wouldn't have a Cat engine again unless it was absolutely free and even then I'm not sure I'd trust it or have it. Good luck but be careful.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Regardless of engine manufacturer, I would have them do a ECM dump and a blow by test on the engine. Oil test has only a value if several were done over a period of time. With something used, you may not really know how long the oil has been in it.
With regards to our repair, the only requirement (blown day) was to pull some of the remaining oil out of the crankcase and send it to a lab. I had the test sent to two locations to confirm the same findings. They did and we got our new turbo and engine put in. Leo had some bad warranty problems with his so be advised.

Dabus1952

Seasoned Expediter
I appreciate Leo, And his feed back.That is why I posted this question .So I could get both sides of it. I will have the test done before I buy that truck. I am looking at some others as well.Thanks again

blacktruck

Seasoned Expediter
dabus1952
The Cat C-7 is at least as good as all of the mid range and probably better than most of them. I might be new to the forum but not new by any stretch to trucking. It's like any engine of that size. Get the correct engine and drivetrain for the job. Have it thoroughly checked before you buy it. Don't buy or not buy based on the stories of one person. There is usually more to the story than what is told initially.
Stay safe out there.
Ken

Dabus1952

Seasoned Expediter
I thank you all for your imput.I have an interest in a truck with a c9 as well . so will do more research .

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The C9 is the engine Cat screwed us on. Two cylinders wore out in only 280k miles. The mechanics in SLC who worked on it said it's the cleanest and best kept engine they've ever seen and no way it didn't have all the PM work done and no way it wore out without a defect that should be warrantied. They are willing to testify under oath. I am debating action against Cat, if nothing else than to force them to spend more money legally than they'd have spent doing the right thing. Stay away from Cat engines. They are fuel guzzlers and Cat will screw you at the first possible opportunity. Go for a Cummins, DD, or MBE instead.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
The C9 is the engine Cat screwed us on. Two cylinders wore out in only 280k miles. The mechanics in SLC who worked on it said it's the cleanest and best kept engine they've ever seen and no way it didn't have all the PM work done and no way it wore out without a defect that should be warrantied. They are willing to testify under oath. I am debating action against Cat, if nothing else than to force them to spend more money legally than they'd have spent doing the right thing. Stay away from Cat engines. They are fuel guzzlers and Cat will screw you at the first possible opportunity. Go for a Cummins, DD, or MBE instead.

Leo...I support you should you decide to go after Cat...I think it is the right thing to do.....these manufacturers have been getting away this stuff far too long knowing there are no repercussions for their in excusable actions against the little guy....
If more owners actually started court action..they'd take notice...no one ever does and they get away with it...

Spend a few hundred and at least throw a surprise at them..

blacktruck

Seasoned Expediter
Re: Cat C-9 questions..

Hey there LDB
I'm a new guy here and now that you have brought it up, what happened to your engine? I've a fair number of years in and around big diesels and I've never seen just two cylinders wear out. Do they have any idea of what caused it? What about the rest of the engine? Any abnormal oil samples or worn items? I'm just curious and thought I would ask. I don't have a Cat right now, I have two Cummins but have been looking at a Cat powered truck.
Thanks.
Stay safe out there.
Ken

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Re: Cat C-9 questions..

I posted about it a few weeks ago when it happened. If you do a search or go back through the truck talk forum you should find the thread with all the details. Welcome to the forum.